Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Clean Title Templates (like iMovie)
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2017 11:14 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all, I just upgraded to Cyberlink power director after previously using my girlfriends mac and iMovie. Needed my own computer and Cyberlink had a good Black Friday sale on that gave me a lot of extras, and I was keen to take my video editing to the next level.

On opening Cyberlink and getting used to it though, I noticed that the majority of titles in the program and some of my additional packs are pretty tacky and not very pro looking in comparison to iMovie simple Titles and lower third subtitles etc. Does anyone know how I can get version of these in Cyberlink or a shortcut to making my own?

I've had a look on Director zone but again they're all a bit flashy and excessive!

Thanks!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all, I just upgraded to Cyberlink power director after previously using my girlfriends mac and iMovie. Needed my own computer and Cyberlink had a good Black Friday sale on that gave me a lot of extras, and I was keen to take my video editing to the next level.

On opening Cyberlink and getting used to it though, I noticed that the majority of titles in the program and some of my additional packs are pretty tacky and not very pro looking in comparison to iMovie simple Titles and lower third subtitles etc. Does anyone know how I can get version of these in Cyberlink or a shortcut to making my own?

I've had a look on Director zone but again they're all a bit flashy and excessive!

Thanks!
If you select Titles Room ( F7 ) All Content, Look for "'Default Title' it is a transparent just Text title, which you can modify to anything you want for Text. A Great Starting point.

There are also some fairly simple Lower Third titles in there. I count 8 of them. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ArchedEdge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2017 11:14 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all, I just upgraded to Cyberlink power director after previously using my girlfriends mac and iMovie. Needed my own computer and Cyberlink had a good Black Friday sale on that gave me a lot of extras, and I was keen to take my video editing to the next level.

Thanks!
If you select Titles Room ( F7 ) All Content, Look for "'Default Title' it is a transparent just Text title, which you can modify to anything you want for Text. A Great Starting point.

There are also some fairly simple Lower Third titles in there. I count 8 of them.

Thanks Carl! Would you be able to provide some insight into how I could replicate something like this title?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Xg4ghlX3M

The text slightly enlargens/stretches over the time it's there, not seeing anything similar? Very subtle difference but just out of my own curiosity on how to copy that effect!

And finally - what if I wanted to add in a linebreak? Would I have to import that as an image?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Welcome to the Forum. I TOTALLY agree, much of what is on the DirectZone is utter garbage, but not all and I often go through hundreds of items before I find something I can use/modify.

Line breaks are best created with an image(s). Actually you can create a text in an external image editor and apply key-frames for the movement.

Have you looked at New Blue Titler yet, you probably have that as a plug-in. A great thing about PowerDirector is it often has several ways to skin the same cat (sorry cat-lovers). HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi ArchedEdge -

That slowly expanding text is easy enough to achieve (& I agree with you & Barry about all the tizzy stuff on DZ).

Here's a simple title template on DZ - https://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/176470517 - When you open it in Title Designer, you'll see that it has Position & Scale keyframes. Both position keyframes are the same, but the expansion is the result of the difference in Scale keyframes.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
kmccb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 02, 2018 21:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I came here to post this and was shocked to find exactly what my issue is!! I just made a video on my phone and wanted to take it a little deeper with some more editing tools.. Trying Cyberlink out but my goodness.. You hit the nail on the head with tacky..

I want this exact type of title I used in iMovie on my iPhone but can't seem to replicate it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vka071v1PYw&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully someone can help me out!

Thanks!!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi kmccb -

The reason you can't replicate it is that, in Title Designer, images can only fade in & out. Text can move any way you want... but not images.

How you get around that is putting your image (the centre line) on a separate track as a PiP Object/Video Overlay.

In the example you linked, the centre line expands from the centre and the text simply fades in/out.

Here are three variants of the line. They're made at 6 seconds duration, so set your preferences to that & you won't have to muck around with the keyframes. They're just have slightly different weight (thickness).

Centreline Expand 1
Centreline Expand 2
Centreline Expand 3

Here's a matching title, also made at 6 seconds duration. It can be used in conjunction with any of the lines above.

Centreline Text

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
If you have PowerDirector Ultimate you have an older copy of Titler Pro bundled in your titles area.

Here are about 3 dozen tutorials on using that tool if you have it.
Here is a link to another group of title tutorials using the Title Designer in Power Director.

Hope you find some of these YouTube tutorials useful.

--Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2018 13:02

AAO [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 06, 2018 14:49 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All, I just purchased the Powerdirector 16 Ultimate including Premium Effects and Templates and was thinking of immediately returning it.

I was looking through the title and effects templates and pretty much all of them look like a cheesy company video from the 80s/90s.

Is there a way to browse through some nicer, more modern looking templates?

Here are some examples of nice clean modern looking text templates that I would like to use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g...........

[Moderation Note : Link removed as it seems to point to a channel dedicated to Premier Pro editing]

And here's an example of what I'm finding with Powerdirector:
http://oneclickmobi.com/powerdirector-templates/free-powerdirector-title-projects/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOSTXFTr1lk

It literally looks like a high school project from 20 years ago.

Please let me know if anyone can help shed some light on this.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at May 06. 2018 16:14

AAO [Avatar]
[Post New]
Why did a moderator censor my post? I was just linking to a youtube video example of the type of effect I'm trying to achieve.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Just a visit to the forum before bedtime and I read (again) about titling.
A few hours ago I uploaded something about titling. Not anything fancy, but
just a reminder that we can produce our own titles from scratch.

https://vimeo.com/268235423

(First title here is made in NBTitler Pro)

Years ago something similar was uploaded to PDToots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE25h0efYLU

Nina
AAO [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just a visit to the forum before bedtime and I read (again) about titling.
A few hours ago I uploaded something about titling. Not anything fancy, but
just a reminder that we can produce our own titles from scratch.

https://vimeo.com/268235423

(First title here is made in NBTitler Pro)

Years ago something similar was uploaded to PDToots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE25h0efYLU

Nina

Thanks for your quick reply. I still think these don't come close to the quality of the other programs; there's still a very dated look to the title. Can anyone recommend another program that is better suited for this kind of thing? It seems like Adobe Premiere or AFter effects is the way to go. But those also seem to be a lot more complicated programs.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for your quick reply. I still think these don't come close to the quality of the other programs; there's still a very dated look to the title. Can anyone recommend another program that is better suited for this kind of thing? It seems like Adobe Premiere or AFter effects is the way to go. But those also seem to be a lot more complicated programs.

Hi,

I wonder; did you take a look at the videos I posted links to?
The titles there aren't from any template - they are made from scratch in a photo editor
and then animated.
If you are looking for a "clean" title to suit a project it's a sure way to look away from templates in
any program - and make them yourself. You have no limit in PD to animate - or not.

Nina
AAO [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,

I wonder; did you take a look at the videos I posted links to?
The titles there aren't from any template - they are made from scratch in a photo editor
and then animated.
If you are looking for a "clean" title to suit a project it's a sure way to look away from templates in
any program - and make them yourself. You have no limit in PD to animate - or not.

Nina

I did look at both videos. The smoothness, look, and overall quality of these examples look very dated. Look at these examples of what I'm trying to accomplish: https://motionarray.com/after-effects-templates/21-minimal-titles
1Nina
[Post New]
My point:

If you want these kinds of titles you linked to you can perfectly well create them yourself.
They are just letters, graphics and animation.
It means a little work, but then you will be in charge of the titles yourself, not a program's template.
kmccb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 02, 2018 21:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

I'm totally with you dude.. I think CyberLink is way to 1999 clipart-y..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2019 03:37

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]

I'm totally with you dude.. I think CyberLink is way to 1999 clipart-y..
It can be difficult to describe what you want for Powerdirector without sometimes pointing to the competition but members should refrain from recommending other NLE software, free or paid, on this Cyberlink funded forum.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2019 03:38

Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]

I did look at both videos. The smoothness, look, and overall quality of these examples look very dated. Look at these examples of what I'm trying to accomplish: https://motionarray.com/after-effects-templates/21-minimal-titles

Hi AAO, some nice looking titles in the link you've supplied. The thing is, most of those great looking titles can be made within Power Director innocent It's a case of taking some time and finding out how to use the basic tools that are supplied with PD

Cheers

Dave.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2018 06:21

1Nina
[Post New]
I had to make a sample title, couldn't resist wink since I understood my tips on creating titles helped by a photo editor was "dated". Well.....

It's mostly about keyframing when you want something clean and straight forward, not any 3D effect or perhaps gradients in motion. You may even leave out any drop shadows.
In this sample, I didn't add any (colored) square or circle graphic. Simply because I am not that enthusiastic about those things in a personal video. To me, those graphics are more what you use in a PowerPoint for a lecture or when you advertise something for sale.

Anyway......

https://vimeo.com/268434314

Cheers
AAO [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I had to make a sample title, couldn't resist wink since I understood my tips on creating titles helped by a photo editor was "dated". Well.....

It's mostly about keyframing when you want something clean and straight forward, not any 3D effect or perhaps gradients in motion. You may even leave out any drop shadows.
In this sample, I didn't add any (colored) square or circle graphic. Simply because I am not that enthusiastic about those things in a personal video. To me, those graphics are more what you use in a PowerPoint for a lecture or when you advertise something for sale.

Anyway......

https://vimeo.com/268434314

Cheers

Thanks, Nina. I'm going to try and learn more about this by using the references you provided and doing some experimenting. Do you know of anywhere that I can view and download templates that other users have created?