Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector has encountered a problem and needs to close....
Matt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2009 22:17 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Is anyone else tired of seeing this message? I've spent countless hours on this project to create a five minute video. I've tried six times to render this thing and each time when the progress reaches 59%, the program crashes. I saw that Cyberlink has a patch out on 4/8, so I installed it and it made no difference.
I've had my fill of headaches with this company and program, but the one I had before this, I will say, I did receive sufficient help to solve the problem. I'm going to give PowerDirector one more chance to prove itself as a quality product, but if not I'm gone for good as a customer.

Frustrations aside, does anyone know what I can try to overcome this problem? I really need some help with this. Thanks in advance...
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Matt,

Since it appears rather repeatable for you, I suspect you have a piece of video, audio, an edit or something PD7 does not like at about 59% of your time line if you are producing to a file. To try and find this, make a copy of your pds file and then delete everything to the right in the timeline at 50%, see if that works. If so create another copy from the original pds and move to 55% and delete to the right and so on until you isolate the piece of troublesome footage.

I once had added a sound effect, mp3 file, that for some reason PD could play it and all appeared fine. However when rendering to file, DVD or DVD folder it consistently caused PD to crash. I converted the file to wav with audacity and all was fine. Just took a while to find what in the timeline was causing PD to close.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2009 00:22

Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to try and help me with the issue. I had the same thought occur to me and I tried to do that. I deleted everything before the 59% mark and did a File-->Save As and renamed the project so I could have a new file in addition to the original one. Well, for some reason, PD7 saved the new file OVER my original and as well as created a duplicated new one. So my project is pretty much all but wiped out. This video was for a wedding and needless to say, I'm pretty devastated about it.

Again, thanks for the suggestion. I think it may have worked, but PD7 pulled something that I would've never expected. At this point, I'm reduced to starting over and I'm really considering sticking with Windows Movie Maker.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2009 00:39

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Matt,

Before you do anything else, just check if you have the 'yourfile'.pds.bak in the folder you saved the .pds project file.

If you have, and if PD hasn't done an auto backup of the 'trimmed' file your original backup file might be intact and you may not have lost everything.

Best thing to do is copy the .pds.bak file (so you have a backup) then rename the original .pds.bak to .pds and see if PD will open it.

One of the key principles in anything other than quick and dirty editing is to do frequent and sequential backups - 'yourfile1'.pds, 'yourfile2'.pds etc etc. It seems tedious but it really is worthwhile as it allows you 'roll back' your project to a previous position if/when a problem arises.

Once you've finished, use the pack function to 'pack' the project to a backup locaton for archive.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Adrian!

You brilliant, brilliant, British person!!! That worked perfectly!!! I don't know how I could possibly thank you enough! You saved me hours and hours of work!
I had no clue what those stupid .bak files were and I just ignored them! Question - what is the best way to make copies of the files? With normal Windows applications, if you hit 'Save,' it overwrites the current file with the open version. If you hit 'Save As,' it creates a NEW file while maintaining the settings of the previous file as of the last save. PD7 did NOT work that way for me! What is the best save method for this? (Hopefully that made sense. )
RebootUK123 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: s Joined: Sep 26, 2011 11:53 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have just purchased a video grabber that comes with Power Director v7. I can't get it to work. I install as required, reboot the machine and when I try to open it it says "PowerDirector has encountered a problem and needs to close". That's it. I've updated the Nvidia card, DirectX 10. I'm running XP. I have all the requirment needed on the box as regards to PC spec. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. s
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If you hit 'Save As,' it creates a NEW file while maintaining the settings of the previous file as of the last save. PD7 did NOT work that way for me! What is the best save method for this? (Hopefully that made sense. )

Powerdirector does not do an automatic file name, when you use Save As, you must change the file name.

The easiest way is to just add a number to the file name and increment that number each time you Save As.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.