Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Any (new) ideas, how to show travel journey in travel video?
Andres.R
Senior Member Location: Tartu, Estonia Joined: Dec 31, 2009 02:26 Messages: 263 Offline
[Post New]
Hi.

I'm out of ideas, how else to show travel journey in video using PD Maybe I get any good ideas here
So far I have used Route Generator, but its..... borning already. My last one is here:

https://youtu.be/tqX7uH6LmTs?t=4m50s

My topic's point is to find out, what kind of journeys you have done? Please share your videos.

Cheers,

Andres

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 20. 2017 09:47

PowerDirector 17. Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz); Hard Disk: SSD 250Gb + SSD 500GB.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AndresRootsi
[Post New]
You say you are unhappy or bored with your results? First, do not be unhappy with your work! But there are ways it could be shorter and still draw more viewers.

You need story, conflct, drama, intrigue, suspense, humor.

Next time, have Margit and Kulli converse and argue over what they liked or disliked about a trip. The video content would be a mix of their talking heads, laugher and exasperation, and on-location antics. The men in the story would the the subject of their stories, with their misadventures serving as comic relief. Surely the men made mistakes, got lost, over-paid for something, got sick on cigars, or did something silly.

If you can't get them to volunteer for such a project, at least try more voice-over. Explain what you visited, what was interesting, funny, obnoxious, or scary. Don't just show flamingos: tell some story about they changed your life, or that you could only dream in pink for the next week.

It looks as though the weather was quite cool. Shots of people shivering and trying to stay warm--in Cuba, of all place--would be novel.

Watchable travel stories usually hinge on some sort of tension or conflict between:

1. The protagonist, dreamer, braggart, thrill-seeker; and

2. The cautious worry-wort or nay-sayer who is home-sick from day one, or becomes jealous and suspicious.

Imagine if one of the travelers appeared dressed in green fatigues, grew a beard, waved a machete, and vowed to return home to launch a rebellion. The story would be how the travel companions dealt with this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 20. 2017 10:47

PowerDirector 12 (pondering 16)
Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM 2.4 ghz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 670M with 3GB video RAM.
HDC-SDT750, HX9V, GoPro Hero HD, LX7, LX100. Looking for, but cannot find, gear and software to author UHD 4k discs.
Andres.R
Senior Member Location: Tartu, Estonia Joined: Dec 31, 2009 02:26 Messages: 263 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tasmanian,

thanks a lot of for your thorough reply. Unfortunately you didnt undersand me correctly or I didnt explain myself correctly (probably this last one, because English is not my first language )

In my next travel video (btw, Sri Lanka and Maldives ) I want to show again, what places we visited and how we got from point A to point B. Like here I attached here now.

Hope its now more clear

Cheers

P.S. but definitely I'm going to use your tips
[Thumb - Capture1.JPG]
 Filename
Capture1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
15 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 20. 2017 11:09

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz); Hard Disk: SSD 250Gb + SSD 500GB.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Here is an idea. When you travel from plane to a destination use an airplane. When it stops take a screenshot. Whwn you then travel by car to the to the next desination use a car image. When it stops take another screenshot, etc. You would end up with a route generator map showing an airplane moving to the first destination and it stays there. The second destination has a car, 3rd destination has an image of a person hiking but stopping in the mountain. It the end you can have a map showing say 20 places visited on your route generator map with say 20 objects for your 20 places visited. The objects indicate how you traveled on the final map.
Andres.R
[Post New]
Hi again,

can someone advise me, how to do this map effect? I understand, that background should be green and I need to use Chroma key, but how to get country's white outlines? or is done with Mac?

Full link here, starts on 0,04 sec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIBUQL7ICuk

and screenshot, what I mean, attached

Already thanks ahead!

Andres
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2017 05:52

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps what you need is "Vasco da Gama" software. One of the video editors I used had a free add-on for it; otherwise it was expensive. Perhaps you can get an old version with less cost. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andres -

This may help...

The links you need are in the video description on YT.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Andres.R
[Post New]
Quote Hi Andres -

This may help...

Cheers - Tony

Thank you so much, Tony! Exactly what I needed! Tutorial specially for me

Stevek, thank you too! Already got to check this Vasco da gama too, but luckily Tony made me quick tutorial

Cheers!

Andres

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2017 02:33

Andres.R
[Post New]
Quote Hi Andres -

This may help...

Cheers - Tony

me smart

probably more sharper outlines already I cant do? Now I used max.: outline radius 10 and strenght 10.
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
117 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)

Andres.R
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I'm stucked again

I'm not able to get sharp edges and srong white for map outlines on later. I added some screnshots too.

What I did:

1. I made map outline (photo 1), put it on green and made a video (photo 2)

2. then I put this green video on timeline, deleted green with chroma key (in settings edge sharpness and tolerance of luminance are 100%) and got result as on photo 3

Result is as it is, with very bad quality. Did I do something wrong, do I should do this in different way or what, to get better result?

or its impossible, because in my previous shared video it was done with some special program (like Vasco De Gama etc)?

EDIT: if instead green I put video on timeline, result is better. photo 4
[Thumb - Photo 2.JPG]
 Filename
Photo 2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
[Thumb - photo1.JPG]
 Filename
photo1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - photo 3.JPG]
 Filename
photo 3.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2017 04:32

Andres.R
[Post New]

EDIT: if instead green I put video on timeline, result is better. photo 4
[Thumb - photo 4.JPG]
 Filename
photo 4.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andres -

Agreed. Using chroma-key is an unnecessary extra step & likely to cause issues. Best to leave it out.

Definitely start with a high resolution map with clean lines & edges... and you're likely to end up with a good result. That one attached is pretty acceptable.

Cheers - Tony

foot-in-mouth Sorry - after more than half a dozen attempts, the forum would not allow me to post with an attached image. You can download it here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2017 13:32

Andres.R
[Post New]

foot-in-mouth Sorry - after more than half a dozen attempts, the forum would not allow me to post with an attached image. You can download it here.

Hi Tony, thanks.

I just now start to think about it: I know one Graphic Designer, so I contacted with her. She showed me, where to download images with the best quality and made me a new map, with sharp edges etc

maps: https://freevectormaps.com/search?q=Sri+Lanka&ref=ts

so, seems my problem is solved

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 05. 2017 05:05

ynotfish
[Post New]
OK - then I won't bother uploading these showing the steps I took 1-2-3-4-5-6...

or these - the final two maps.

laughing

Cheers - Tony
Andres.R
[Post New]
Quote OK - then I won't bother uploading these showing the steps I took 1-2-3-4-5-6...

or these - the final two maps.

laughing

Cheers - Tony

Thanks, Tony! PowerDirector 17. Windows 10