Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can PD15 burn a 9:16 aspect ratio
acg [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 04, 2011 20:47 Messages: 275 Offline
[Post New]
Sister-in-law recorded on her cell phone in the 9:16 format. It does not appear that PD15 can deal with the aspect ratio when trying to burn DVD.

During editing if you tell the software it is 16:9, the speed is not correct.

Don't kno if this can be done.

Any Help?
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
9:16 aspect ratio is not a DVD format. This WIKI gives information on the valid resolutions.

Obviously you can create a video file in that format.

p.s. - Using the video in a 16:9 project should not have any effect on the playback speed, that would be a separate issue and perhaps that best starting with that would be to post the "Mediainfo" details from the original video.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 11. 2017 17:29

acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote 9:16 aspect ratio is not a DVD format. This WIKI gives information on the valid resolutions.

p.s. - Using the video in a 16:9 project should not have any effect on the playback speed, that would be a separate issue and perhaps that best starting with that would be to post the "Mediainfo" details from the original video.

Yes you can create a file with the 9:16 aspect ration but you cannot burn it to a DVD.

And it does speed up the video when you tell the computer it is 16:9 when it really is 9:16 and that would be reasonable.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote 9:16 aspect ratio is not a DVD format. This WIKI gives information on the valid resolutions.

Yes you can create a file with the 9:16 aspect ration but you cannot burn it to a DVD.

And it does speed up the video when you tell the computer it is 16:9 when it really is 9:16 and that would be reasonable.
You can not create a 9:16 aspect ratio video on a DVD format because there is no 9:16 specification for DVD Video.

You can create a 4:3 Aspect ratio DVD and put a 9:16 Video, the 9:16 will have black bars on each side, and the video will look small.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 12. 2017 07:57

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

acg [Avatar]
[Post New]

You can not create a 9:16 aspect ratio video on a DVD format because there is no 9:16 specification for DVD Video.

You can create a 4:3 Aspect ratio DVD and put a 9:16 Video, the 9:16 will have black bars on each side, and the video will look small.

Produicing the 9:16 format into the 4:3 format. The video comes through - but in doing so, the audio is completely lost. Great idea and support.

Alan
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Set the project aspect ratio to 4:3 before importing any clips on the timeline and the created DVD will be fine.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 12. 2017 13:20

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm not sure of exactly your issue(s) here.

A 9:16 aspect ratio project is supported by PDR15, but it is not a valid format for a DVD and so cannot be used to burn a DVD.

You should be able to use a 9:16 video in a 4:3, or in a 16:9, aspect ratio project, however it will have black bars down the sides.

Both a 16:9 project and a 4:3 project can be used to burn a DVD.

You appear to have another issue, related to audio when your 9:16 footage is produced in a 4:3 format, however you have not provided any information as to the source file analysis nor to the produced file selection so it is impossible for members to give specific help.

You also appear to have a speed issue when your 9:16 footage is used in a 16:9 project. Again, without knowledge of the file types, system specifications etc involved, members will not be able to help specifically. Basically, the aspect ratio is unlikely to have an impact on video speed in a produced project, although the preview might be affected on a low power system perhaps.

If you can give as much detail as possible, it would help your fellow members help you.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator.

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I'm not sure of exactly your issue(s) here.

A 9:16 aspect ratio project is supported by PDR15, but it is not a valid format for a DVD and so cannot be used to burn a DVD.

You should be able to use a 9:16 video in a 4:3, or in a 16:9, aspect ratio project, however it will have black bars down the sides.

Both a 16:9 project and a 4:3 project can be used to burn a DVD.

You appear to have another issue, related to audio when your 9:16 footage is produced in a 4:3 format, however you have not provided any information as to the source file analysis nor to the produced file selection so it is impossible for members to give specific help.

You also appear to have a speed issue when your 9:16 footage is used in a 16:9 project. Again, without knowledge of the file types, system specifications etc involved, members will not be able to help specifically. Basically, the aspect ratio is unlikely to have an impact on video speed in a produced project, although the preview might be affected on a low power system perhaps.

If you can give as much detail as possible, it would help your fellow members help you.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator.

I appreciate all your help.

Here is the poop.

The video was taken on a Google Cell phone in the portrait mode not the landscape mode. It produced an ,MP4 format, which I off loaded to my computer. It included audio and video.

Whe I double click on the .MP4 file movie/videos software comes up and plays it just fine as an .MP4 file.

However when I bring the .MP4 file into PD15 (either as a 9:16 format or 4:3 format) At this point there is a sound track but no sound is there.

I would like to produce it as a .MOV file for Blu-ray burning.

Interesting dilemma.

One adsded piece of information:

When I bring the .MP4 file into PD15 and load it to the track, I unlinked the audio from the video. I then started up Audio Director and looked at the audio. It was fine and played properly in Audio Director. Somehow PD15 is mis-handling the 9:16 .MP4 format and not getting them multiplexed on input.

Alan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 12. 2017 15:09

Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
"At this point there is a sound track but no sound is there."

The audio is probably muted are you using "Non real time" preview? Is the audio timeline unticked? Is the loudspeaker icon underneath the preview window crossed through?
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote "At this point there is a sound track but no sound is there."

The audio is probably muted are you using "Non real time" preview? Is the audio timeline unticked? Is the loudspeaker icon underneath the preview window crossed through?

Aucio file on timeline is fine. As mentioned after loading the video/audio to the timeline I started up audio director and the audio played just fine. I still think that PD15 does not want to handle the 9:16 format properly.

And as mentioned, I doubled clicked on the .MP4 file outside of PD15 and a movie/video player played it just fine. Both audio and video.
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK - I asked 3 questions but I didn't phrase the questions very well, perhaps that's why you didn't answer. There are 3 common scenarios in which you might think there is a fault with your audio. 1) Non real time preview has been selected. 2) The audio has been muted. 3) The audio timeline has been unticked. Have you checked all three and discounted them?

No audio
[Thumb - no_audio.jpg]
 Filename
no_audio.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Reasons for no audio in preview.
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
49 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 12. 2017 17:00

acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote OK - I asked 3 questions but I didn't phrase the questions very well, perhaps that's why you didn't answer. There are 3 common scenarios in which you might think there is a fault with your audio. 1) Non real time preview has been selected. 2) The audio has been muted. 3) The audio timeline has been unticked. Have you checked all three and discounted them?

No audio

I appreciate you effort and patience.

All 3 of the selections you have indicated are fine.

I have produced hundreds of PD15 videos but none in this format.

I may try changing thed format of the audio.

I will you know of any changes after I convert the audio to another format.

Thanks again

Alan

I owe the forum a big fat apology.

After exaustive searching and trying every thing else I took a close look at the speaker icon (down right hand corner of PC). And it had a very little x over the speaker that I did not see which meant it was muted of course.

This was pretty blatant on my part and I don't remember making a mistake of this magnitude before.

Must be my macular degeneration kicking in.

Sorry again.

You guys/Gals have the greatest forum of all of them.

Thanks,

Alan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 12. 2017 22:55