Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio wave does not display in PD16
JustinOpinion [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 02, 2015 09:26 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Since I upgraded to PowerDirector 16, the audio track does not display the wave line most of the time. This is crucial to my editing, and I have had to revert to PD 15 to get any work done.

Either fix this or give me my money back. The software is useless to me without all it's functions.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Since I upgraded to PowerDirector 16, the audio track does not display the wave line most of the time. This is crucial to my editing, and I have had to revert to PD 15 to get any work done.

Either fix this or give me my money back. The software is useless to me without all it's functions.

Cyberlink has made several changes to the audio part of PowerDirecctor 16; not all of them convient.

The ability to show the wav file is ion the General Preferences. Did you read the help files? Do you see the audio line and is it near the middle of the audio track? Do you hear it? All files or only certain ones?

Also the ability to change the volume with the little dots no longer works; you have to go to the audio room.

Also look at audio ducking.

NOW, that is all I can suggest due to the lack of information you provided. See some of the important information in the body of this reply.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 09. 2017 13:18

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
RonGibson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2017 11:44 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I upgraded from from PD14 to PD16 and having the same problem. When I have a project open and a videos to time for the first time the wave form shows up just fine. After finishing the first video and remove it from the time line and from the library, import another video into same project, add it to the time line the wave form WILL NOT show. Also the OLRSubmission.exe causes an error on PD16 startup, have to close the error notice and startup continues just fine.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
The forums are acting up on my computer.

I get the same as you with mpg files. When you add the second file, just click on the audio track and the wave form shows up -- at least for me.

Did yiu install the program with your anti-virus on (bad idea). Sometimes they won't let itens being added toi the .dll library. Were you ever able to register the product? Remember that it keeps your key on your registered products in case you ever need it. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
RonGibson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The forums are acting up on my computer.

I get the same as you with mpg files. When you add the second file, just click on the audio track and the wave form shows up -- at least for me.

Did yiu install the program with your anti-virus on (bad idea). Sometimes they won't let itens being added toi the .dll library. Were you ever able to register the product? Remember that it keeps your key on your registered products in case you ever need it.

Thanks for the reply. I use mp4 files, clicking on track does not work. I don't want to click here and there to get something to work, I just want them to know so they can fix the bug with a patch asap.

I put in the product key after installation and I guess it registered.
stevek
[Post New]
Ron, Did you put in a request to Cyberlink Tech Service. As you know, this is a users group so we have no control over what bugs are fixed when. .
RonGibson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ron, Did you put in a request to Cyberlink Tech Service. As you know, this is a users group so we have no control over what bugs are fixed when.

Thanks... Just found their tech service and sent the info to them.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

As Stevek notes this is a member to member forum, hosted by CyberLink at arms length, but not directly accessed by them on a regular basis.

Sadly, no member can alter the software or give you a refund!

Members may be able to help, but I think you need to give more detailed information as to exactly what is happening - does it happen all the time, only with specific file types, do you use Shadow files etc etc? Stevek has also asked some salient questions.

Please take the time to detail out your issue and this will allow members to offer focused suggestions, rather than just guesses.

Just for the record, the audio "rubber band" can still be accessed on the timeline in PDR16, by pressing the Ctrl key to activate it.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
TinkerDog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2016 21:48 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I have the very same problem with PD v16. If I use more than 1 clip (MP4 in this case) H.264 AVC and Audio AAC 48Khz Bitrate 128Khz, the wave form will not show on any of the clips. The rubber bands are there, but I need the wave forms to show to help ALIGN the clips.... without them, it is extrememly difficult to align them.

I was hoping the update would fix it, but alas, it does not.

Please forward to the Technical Department. Thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 30. 2017 19:12

Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Ron, Did you put in a request to Cyberlink Tech Service. As you know, this is a users group so we have no control over what bugs are fixed when.

Thanks... Just found their tech service and sent the info to them.

Ron, was this ever resolved ? I am having the same issue with PD 16.

Thanks,
Scott ____________________________________

Dell Precision M4700 i7-3840QM 2.80 GHz
16gb ram , NVIDIA Quadro K2000M GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD , 500 gb HDD ,

MrMark [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Richmond, TX Joined: Nov 26, 2016 11:36 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
It's not fixed. I just upgraded a few days ago from PD15 and noticed it almost right away. And then I downloaded a patch yesterday, but I'm still going nuts with the same problem.

For what it's worth, changing any setting in Audio Ducking seems to help somewhat - even if the ducking level is set to zero, it still improves the waveform. So my feeling is that the problem is related to the new Audio Ducking feature. --
-Mark
Cable Solutions

MrMark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I dicovered that the audio ducking trick doesn't always work. I also tried the latest 2503 beta patch, but that didn't help either. Does anyone have a decent work-around? Or has anyone heard anything from CyberLink that suggests the they are working on this? --
-Mark
Cable Solutions

Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
At some point one of us has to sit down and systematically try to reproduce this problem. Its odd that only a small number of us experience this. Its getting on my nerves though ____________________________________

Dell Precision M4700 i7-3840QM 2.80 GHz
16gb ram , NVIDIA Quadro K2000M GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD , 500 gb HDD ,

MrMark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote At some point one of us has to sit down and systematically try to reproduce this problem. Its odd that only a small number of us experience this. Its getting on my nerves though

Is it a small number? If that's true, then maybe most PowerDirector users aren’t working with multiple audio tracks. One might not even miss the waveform if one was working with only a single A/V track. But if one is, then it is ridiculously difficult to sync tracks without the being able to see the waveforms.

Last night I installed the 2503 patch, hoping it would fix the problem, but it did not. But then after that, I had the idea that PD16 might be caching the waveforms, so it occurred to me to rename the audio track (outside of PD) and then re-import. At which point the waveform was displayed just fine. This doesn't make complete sense to me, since PD16 (to my great displeasure) always creates a new audio track any time WaveEditor or AudioDirector is used, and editing in both of those did not fix the waveform. I went looking for cache files, but wasn't able to find any. And yet, they must exist, because reimporting the same audio file did not solve the problem. Even moving it to a different location and then importing didn't help. But renaming it did, so you tell me.

I hope you're wrong about this affecting only a small number of users. I fear that would put the issue so low on CyberLink's list that it would never get fixed. I'm going to open a new ticket today. For all the good it will do...I'm still waiting on a response to a ticket from January 31st. To be honest, the lack of response to that ticket forced me to upgrade to PD16, hoping to gain access to the same add-ins that came with PD15 (that I could no longer access). As it turns out, I would have been a LOT better off sticking with PD15. And I have since found the DVDs to which I had originally burned all of the PD15 files, so that makes the upgrade seem all the more unrewarding.

I find it very frustrating that PowerDirector has some core features that make it far superior to everything else that I have tried in this class. Like the ability to use my GPU to speed up rendering. It makes it at least four times faster. When working with longer videos, its a big deal. It can reduce an hour of rendering to 15 minutes. But then very basic stuff that any NLE software should be able to do, like the audio waveform - unresolved stuff like that makes it all but useless. And other than making noise in this forum, I have no idea how to get the attention of the right people at CyberPower. And those "right" people probably don't look at their own forums, so it seems rather hopeless. --
-Mark
Cable Solutions

FrancoisT [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 26, 2010 15:03 Messages: 115 Offline
[Post New]
I just want to add the same thing happened to me the other day. The first video showed the wave form. Later, I added an audio track and it would only show a straight line with no wave form. The next day a wave form did show up on a second track so it seemed to be an intermittent problem.
PureChaosX
Newbie Location: Planet Earth Joined: May 13, 2015 14:50 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Been having this problem for as long as I can remember, especially with the last 3 versions of PowerDirector. Currently running PD16 on my main PC, and PD14 on another PC.

I'll import a video and an MP3 (audio commentary).. sometimes, depending on the length, the waveform will appear within a few minutes. Other times, the waveform NEVER appears. I can have PD16 open for over 30 minutes and the waveform just refuses to appear.

Even now, I'm editing a video, had PD16 open for 45 minutes or so... waveform? NO WAVEFORM.

Nothing I do helps to force the waveform to generate. Resizing the timeline, opening WaveEditor, nothing whatsoever. The same problem also happens to PD14 on a completely different PC. It can't be PC/hardware related, it has to be a bug in PowerDirector which is still present after all these iterations.

The videos I import are mostly MP4 and TS files. The audio files are usually MP3 and WAV. This problem affects all the filetypes I try. I need the waveform to help me know where I need to edit my videos. Without it, PowerDirector is useless for me. I've been trying to hold off returning to Corel VideoStudio because PowerDirector does what I want and is easy to use.

I think this is definitely something that needs fixing. It is VERY irritating waiting for the waveform to appear only to find it never will. Windows 10 Pro x64
MSi P45T-C51 Motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 OC'd @ 3.0GHz
6Gb RAM
nVidia EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2Gb
500Gb SanDisk Ultra II SSD
Western Digital Blue 500Gb HDD x2
MrMark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Interesting observations PureChaosX. I had never seen this behavior in previous versions, but now that you mention it, I just recently started working with longer WAV files. Although I have often done short voice-overs within PowerDirector, and those came out as WAVs, so what does that mean? That PD can't handle WAV files over a few seconds in length?

I have to admit too that it makes no sense to me that the program can generate video thumbnails in seconds, but a relatively tiny audio file is too much for it. The whole caching/shadow file thing seem to cause more trouble than it's worth...I feel like it's connected somehow. I discovered that the "upgrade" to PowerDirector 16 had overwritten my preferences from PD15. "Enable shadow files" was on by default in PD16, so I had to discover/disable that before the software started acting more normal. With that option checked, it was soaking the CPU at about 35 percent, which made the cooling fans rev up, and it was also using a fair bit of network bandwidth, apparently (continuously) writing to a USB drive connected to my server.

And as you may know, Windows does a pretty bad job of congruent read/writes to USB drives, so it was super inefficient. It would make a lot more sense for that kind of file to be on a local SSD drive, but PD doesn't provide any way to specify different locations for temp files. I guess it would be okay if I had a multi-terabyte SSD, but I do not, so I just can't afford the space. It seems like a carry-over from a time when RAM was more expensive and Windows wasn't any good at managing RAM even if it was present. But in the era of Windows 7 and beyond, I just don't see much value in caching to disk. Especially a mechanical drive connected via USB to computer that is accessed over a network. It's pretty fast for sequential writes of single files, but it's just no good for what PD seems to be doing.

When idle, PD16 doesn’t seem to be putting any load on the CPU or network since I disabled shadow files, but it still insists on creating folders, so there must be some underlying dependence upon those locations. It might be interesting to do a test with PD16 configured to use my local SSD. But even if it worked, it would be frustrating to have to add another layer of time and complexity to my workflow. --
-Mark
Cable Solutions

bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
Also in PD 13 it never worked properly W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17
MrMark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Also in PD 13 it never worked properly

Hmmm...the plot thickens...and this is not giving me a lot of hope that it will get fixed in PD16, if the problem goes back three versions! --
-Mark
Cable Solutions

AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
I suffer with this lack of audio graphic intermittantly when I use .mts input clips and usually doing something will get it back most of the time.

However I have just been playing with an mp4 clip and cannot seem to do anything to recover the audio graphic.

It is the graphic waveform thats missing. Audio plays correctly and can be modified using the dot method (rubber banding).

Interestingly this mp4 clip displays the yellow (making shadow) icon, and the tool tip that pops up when cursor over the thumbnail also says Shadow File: Generating ... - but its not. I just left a single 5 minute clip in mp4 format - system is virtually idle and no file in the expected shadowfiles folder is present.

Interesting fact - shadow files are also mp4. Does PD think as its mp4 already theres no point in making shadow file? Despite saying it is in progress?

There is definitely something faulty going on. 1) I occassionally get this issue with mts clips altho I can usually get out of it (most times) sometimes reloading project is necessary. 2) mp4 clip does not seem to cause shadow file creation despite PD giving every indication that is is in progress.

Alan.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 11. 2018 20:11