Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Pen Tool
PAULOSS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 12, 2017 13:33 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to draw a straight line in PhotoDirector. And I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to do so. Can someone please let me know how to accomplish this. Thank you in advanced!
[Post New]
Hello PAULOSS,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

The main reason you're "having a heck of a time figuring out how to" draw a straight line in PhD is that there's no way to do it.

In the Layers module, there are pen & brush tools for hand-drawing lines but they don't automatically generate straight lines.

The only suggestion I could make would be to create your line in graphics software, save it as .png with transparent background, then import it into the layers module as a photo layer (screenshot attached). More simply, the line could be drawn directly on the photo in your graphics software!

PIX
[Thumb - PhD_Layers import.jpg]
 Filename
PhD_Layers import.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
799 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
49 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 03. 2017 17:16

PIX YouTube channel
PAULOSS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello PAULOSS,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

The main reason you're "having a heck of a time figuring out how to" draw a straight line in PhD is that there's no way to do it.

In the Layers module, there are pen & brush tools for hand-drawing lines but they don't automatically generate straight lines.

The only suggestion I could make would be to create your line in graphics software, save it as .png with transparent background, then import it into the layers module as a photo layer (screenshot attached). More simply, the line could be drawn directly on the photo in your graphics software!

PIX

Thank you for the reply.

Thant seems like a basic option for the program to me.

Do you know if there is a way to erase in a stragiht line but on a angle?

Thank you
[Post New]
PhotoDirector is photo management & editing software. It's not intended to be a PhotoShop substitute.

I'm not entirely clear about what you mean here: "to erase in a straight line but an an angle". Could you clarify.

My best advice would be to use software that is designed to do what you want. I use a number of other apps in combination with PhD, including Paint.NET which is both free and capable of doing what I think you're trying to do.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
PAULOSS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote PhotoDirector is photo management & editing software. It's not intended to be a PhotoShop substitute.

I'm not entirely clear about what you mean here: "to erase in a straight line but an an angle". Could you clarify.

My best advice would be to use software that is designed to do what you want. I use a number of other apps in combination with PhD, including Paint.NET which is both free and capable of doing what I think you're trying to do.

PIX

Thank you for the responce. I have a image that has a black line on one imgage and back ground. I used the smart eraser but it left the edge very jagged. I have attached an image showing you what im working with.
[Thumb - Jagged Line.png]
 Filename
Jagged Line.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
620 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
44 time(s)
[Post New]
Are you trying to remove the line or draw it?

Could you please post the original photo/image with a clear description of what you'd like to do?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
PAULOSS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Are you trying to remove the line or draw it?

Could you please post the original photo/image with a clear description of what you'd like to do?

PIX

Either option. Erase or add. I just need to make the black line on the edge of the overlapped image to be straight. It is the black next to the blue.

I have attached the image. You will see the edges of the image are not smooth. And I need a we to make them straight and smooth.

Thank you
[Thumb - servers_layer_copy.jpg]
 Filename
servers_layer_copy.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
62 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
18 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello again,

The reason PhD was having trouble removing the black lines and leaving a straight edge is that there was no straight edge to begin with. Unfortunately, the fact that it's a poor quality image makes it difficult to create clean edges.

Using other graphics software, I've removed the black outline & made the background transparent. Two versions are attached.

PhotoDirector is not designed as graphics software. It's for photo management & editing.

PIX
[Thumb - servers_layer_copy1.png]
 Filename
servers_layer_copy1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
113 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)
[Thumb - servers_layer_copy2.png]
 Filename
servers_layer_copy2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
15 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
SeanF [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Dublin Ireland Joined: Nov 25, 2008 13:41 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Are you trying to remove the line or draw it?

PIX

Either option. Erase or add. I just need to make the black line on the edge of the overlapped image to be straight. It is the black next to the blue.

I have attached the image. You will see the edges of the image are not smooth. And I need a we to make them straight and smooth.

Thank you

Hi Pauloss

There are two quick ways to achieve what you are looking to do. They are both what would be called "workarounds" and are a little bit fiddly, but will do the job for you from within Photodirector

Method one

You can use any photo in your library for this , remember it is only a copy and if you save it with a different name and/or location your original will not be effected

With your photo opened click on layers

In the layers module duplicate photo

Select the fill tool, select the colour use wish to fill with

Click on the photo with the fill tool, the photo will fill with your desired colour

Click on the pick and move tool, this tool will allow you to crop and size your filled layer

Do not crop the line to narrow at the beginning, if the line is to narrow its makes it harder to resize it

You can set the width when you have set the line to the required length

Duplicate your photo layer again

When you have sized and cropped your filled layer to your satisfaction move it into position

You can use the distort transformation tool to help place the line

Duplicate the sized and cropped filled layer as many times as you need to achieve the effect you are looking for

Save the finished photo using a different file name from the original to your preferred location

Method two

Open a photo

Click layers

Duplicate photo

Add empty layer

Fill empty layer with desired colour

Click on the pick and move tool, this tool will allow you to crop and size your filled layer

If all of the lines are going to be the same size you need only crop and size once all of the other ones will be duplicates of the first one

If you need to manipulate the lines use one or other of the transform mode tools

Save or export finished photo always remembering the prime rule "do not overwrite the original photo file or it will be lost"

Regards

Sean
SeanF [Avatar]
[Post New]
My apologises to Pauloss and anyone else reading my post for not doing enough research before putting pen to paper. There is of course a way to draw a straight line in Photodirector. It is the same way one can do it in Photoshop.

Open photo

Select layers

Duplicate photo

Select pen tool, select pencil, airbrush, or brush

Set tool to size, opacity, and colour

Click once in the photo where you want the line to start

Move the tool along the photo where you want the line to end

Hold down the shift key, click once with mouse

You will now have a straight line

If you need to add a rounded corner, you can start off with a straight line and shape it with the eraser tool

I would suggest you start off using white as your colour, it is easier to see, you can then select all the white lines using the magic selection tool, set this tool for size and tolerance, then fill with your preferred colour

Regards

Sean

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 24. 2017 10:20

[Post New]
new to using photo director 5

wanting at oince to see how this cyberlink product would work for me and set about simply using smart patch to remove a person from the photo i was working on.

saw the pen tool icon

clicked on it but it did not move onto the photo for me to draw around the subject of removal ?

held the mouse left click down

cannot get anything to work BECAUSE I DO NOT KNOW HOW ??

is this just a glitch - or - how do i do that ?

adding - my photo only needs this subject removal, nothing more

hope this is not too basic and stupid a question . . . .
SeanF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi bigdog27

I will confine my answer to your core issue "using smart patch to remove person from photo"

Open your photo in Photodirector. I am using version 9 and I am not sure how some of version 9 functions will relate to version 5

Click on edit tab

On the left hand side of the screen there are different categories

The one you require is "object removal"

Click on smart patch

Select the + brush and set size required

Draw the brush over the object in the photo to select it

Click on next

Place the cursor inside the selection, it will change to a hand with closed fingers

Move the selection around the photo until you get a match between the area of the photo that remains and the selection

Click apply

If you are not happy with the selection after you click apply click on clear at the end of the screen or control/command z to undo

If you have a large area you need removed or changed do it in small selectios at a time

Second method

Click on content aware removal

Select +brush and set size

Make a selection over the object in the photo you wish to remove

Click on apply

Photodirector will then process the removal

The lenght of time it takes depends on your computers processing speed and the size of the selection

I would respectfully suggest that you visit youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photodirector+tutorial

where you will find lots of video tutorials placed there by very helpful users

Cyberlink also have video tutorials

Also download Cyberlinks PDF instruction book for Photodirector

I hope one or both of the above methods will help you in your project

Regards

Sean
[Post New]
Quote new to using photo director 5... wanting at oince to see how this cyberlink product would work for me and set about simply using smart patch to remove a person from the photo i was working on.

Hello bigdog27,

You should never feel embarrassed about asking questions. The forum is here so we can help each other, as SeanF has shown.

For your question, you really should have started a new topic, because it's not related to using the Pen Tool. All you need to do is click on PhotoDirector, then New Topic.

Neither the Smart Patch Tool nor the Pen Tool is the best choice for your situation. You'd be best to use the Content Aware Removal tool, as SeanF's second set of instructions described.

Here's a basic screen capture showing how simple it is to do:

and here's a more thorough tutorial on the subject:

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
This note is for PIX and SEAN F

PIX,yes i should use new topic to ask for help, but was in a blunder state at that time AND MERELY PICKED UP ON A THREAD THAT SEEMED MY PROBLEM.

i will be more room concious in the future.

Now to you both, my best,deepest,smiling thanks for the spot on solving of my difficulty.

SEAN F was detailed in helping me, i followed every word he thoughtfully entered and all resulted in me now being able to use this Cyberlink software with a measure of expertise !!!

Instead of diving in again, i will heed both advises to look for Utube tutorials as getting things to work as one would want is to a very very unknown dark world to the amatuer editor !!

Anyone else perusing this forum should note though, THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT.
websiteee [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 27, 2017 08:22 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
PIX reply is very effective for every time. Thank for giving positive reply.