Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
NVidia drivers + Photodirector !
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
I believe many CyberLink users with Win 10, who are using NVidia gfx cards have had issues with PhotoDirector as well as other Cyberlink products!
After uploading a DX file it was pointed out to me that my system has also been "hit" by a Win 10 update & NVidia drivers. One idea is to go to system restore then "roll back" your system. I found that I couldn't "roll back" my system far enough to find a re-install what worked. After checking the usual self-appointed online gurus, I finally found out what I needed to know.

I knew I needed an NVidia driver but I struggled to find the correct page for their older drivers. Just in case anyone else is having the same problem, here is a link to the NVidia web page for "older drivers" http://www.nvidia.com/drivers/beta . I don't know about anyone else, maybe your system has all the functionality with the latest drivers but mine certainly doesn't.

I picked an old driver that I knew worked well for me. More importantly I installed it using the "Custom Installation" selection which I hadn’t used before. The custom installation selection offers you the chance to do a clean install of the driver and resets any settings you may have on your system!

A video that may also help you https://youtu.be/3ulQYC_HP9s

Hope it you find this info helpful.

Cheers

Dave F.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2017 19:09

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
CFree [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 29, 2018 09:17 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
With which nVidia cards is the latest version of PhotoDirector having a problem?

I am considering purchasing it but I have a Asus DUAL-GTX1070-O8G GeForce 8GB GDDR5

I would not want to have to roll my drviers back.

Any problems with 1070's?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 04. 2022 20:03

[Post New]
Hello CFree,

The issue Kyle has been having with PhotoDirector/Window updates/Nvidia drivers is neither universal nor widespread.

I have PhD installed on a number of PCs here, all running Win10 & each with different Nvidia GPUs. Other users have not reported the same consistent problems.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello CFree,

The issue Kyle has been having with PhotoDirector/Window updates/Nvidia drivers is neither universal nor widespread.

I have PhD installed on a number of PCs here, all running Win10 & each with different Nvidia GPUs. Other users have not reported the same consistent problems.

PIX

Hi Pix and thankyou for your reply.
You are correct in that it wasn't anything to do with Nvidia or even Cyberlink. It was more down to my PC not being able to function correctly after downloading Microsofts "Fall" update. After re-loading Win 10 + software, all the correct drivers, my old i5 PC appears to be working reasonably well .... so far!

As a matter of interest ( to me at least ) I've slightly increased the performance of my Nvidia GT 640 by using the Nvidia Control panel and adjusting some of the settings following recommended guidelines as for gaming! A slight increase is only a few % but it's better than nothing I think !

Cheers

PS I wouldn't recomend anyone to use an i5 PC as they are too slow, fingers crossed I can replace it this year innocent I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
CFree [Avatar]
[Post New]
Darn. I have an i5. LOL Amusingly I just bought an Epson scanner. The installation DVD made my 24x DVD drive act like an old 5 1/4 floppy disk and the installation process itself made my 7600k Kaby Lake seem like a Pentium 80.

The good thing is that I don't plan on doing much photo edting. I just bought PhotoDirector mainly for the organizing. I guess I coulda used Google Photos but I use Google as little as is possible.

Quote Hello CFree,

PIX

Hi Pix and thankyou for your reply.
You are correct in that it wasn't anything to do with Nvidia or even Cyberlink. It was more down to my PC not being able to function correctly after downloading Microsofts "Fall" update. After re-loading Win 10 + software, all the correct drivers, my old i5 PC appears to be working reasonably well .... so far!

As a matter of interest ( to me at least ) I've slightly increased the performance of my Nvidia GT 640 by using the Nvidia Control panel and adjusting some of the settings following recommended guidelines as for gaming! A slight increase is only a few % but it's better than nothing I think !

Cheers

PS I wouldn't recomend anyone to use an i5 PC as they are too slow, fingers crossed I can replace it this year innocent
[Post New]
Thank you for the additional information, Kyle. That clarifies things.

CFree, it very much depends which i5 CPU you're using. Some time back, one of the most technically astute members of the PDR forums posted a chart showing a comparison between common i5 & i7 CPUs (at the time). You can read his well-informed comments and view the chart in this thread.

If you'd like to compare your own i5 CPU with othrs, you can do so at Passmark, where JL_JL gathered the data.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
CFree [Avatar]
[Post New]
According to Passmark the average CPU mark for a i5-7600K @ 3.80GHz is 9165 which puts it just below an Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-7600K

But as I said I do not plan to do much editing.

I do wish I had researched this more when I bought it. But I guess due to Meltdown and Spectra the prudent thing to do will be to replace it when they develop a new chipos with a hardware fix/mitgiation.

Quote Thank you for the additional information, Kyle. That clarifies things.

CFree, it very much depends which i5 CPU you're using. Some time back, one of the most technically astute members of the PDR forums posted a chart showing a comparison between common i5 & i7 CPUs (at the time). You can read his well-informed comments and view the chart in this thread.

If you'd like to compare your own i5 CPU with othrs, you can do so at Passmark, where JL_JL gathered the data.

PIX