Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 17 doesn't run
jaysmc812 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2017 00:45 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I purchased PowerDVD 17 last week and have not been able to get it to run. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, along with the most recent patch.

I opened a support ticket last week, but haven't heard anything back yet, so I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any ideas on how to make it work.

Fortunately I can still request a refund if they don't seem to be interested in making their product work.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I purchased PowerDVD 17 last week and have not been able to get it to run. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, along with the most recent patch.

I opened a support ticket last week, but haven't heard anything back yet, so I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any ideas on how to make it work.

Fortunately I can still request a refund if they don't seem to be interested in making their product work.

There have been several install program problems with the latest Windows 10 Fall Update. Did you install it?

If so, roll back to the previous version of Windows 10.

For instance (link) .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
jaysmc812 [Avatar]
[Post New]

There have been several install program problems with the latest Windows 10 Fall Update. Did you install it?

If so, roll back to the previous version of Windows 10.

For instance (link)

Thank you for your response, stevek.

Last week when I purchased and first installed PowerDVD 17, I was running Windows 10 Version 1607. I was hoping the Fall Creators Update might fix the problem, so this weekend I upgraded to version 1709, and then reinstalled PowerDVD 17 and got the exact same results. It simply doesn't run: No banner window, no error message, nothing. The other apps that came with the suite installed and ran fine.

Since it never ran under Windows 10 version 1607 or 1709, rolling back to the previous version of Windows 10 probably won't have any effect.

If Cyberlink doesn't issue a patch to fix the problem within 30 days, the best solution for me will be to request a refund.

I assume that since I haven't heard back from Cyberlink after opening my support ticket, that they are probably inundated with customers who have the same problem. Either that or it's just normal for them to be slow.
Hicham_B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jun 09, 2015 04:02 Messages: 1347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi jaysmc812,

Are you sure your computer meets the system requirements:
https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_US.html

Greetings,
Hicham

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 25. 2017 05:51

Technical support:
EN: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
DE: https://de.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
FR: https://fr.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
ES: https://es.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
jaysmc812 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi jaysmc812,

Are you sure your computer meets the system requirements:
https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_US.html

Greetings,
Hicham

Hi Hicham,

Yes, it does meet the minimum requirements. Not for Ultra HD, but certainly for Blu-Ray and DVD.
Huxley [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 28, 2017 10:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem, which started after I applied the October 25 PowerDVD 17 Ultra patch (2101). I am running Windows 10 which is up to date WITHOUT the Fall Creators build (ie all updates and patches applied with that exception) and PowerDVD worked perfectly until I applied the latest PowerDVD patch. Now PowerDVD hangs on mkv playback. The player starts but the screen remains blank and there are no controls displayed. I do hear audio. I have the latest graphics driver installed.

Clicking on the help link from within PowerDVD freezes the program for up to a minute. If I click the help buttron a second or third time (thinking that I "missed" it the first time"), PowerDVD crashes - freezes. I have to manually terminate PowerDVD and two or more PowerDVD help applications from within Task Manager.

When double-clicking an mkv file I get the PowerDVD playback screen, no contols, black area (ie no picture). Closing PoweDVD doesn't actually close the process at this point; I have to use Task Manager to terminate it.

When I open PowerDVD first and attempt playback from within PowerDVD, nothing happens; the playback window does not open and I get an hour glass icon and frozen program for up to 20 seconds or so. This also happens when I click on the help link.

Readinng through this thread and others, I note that others report that avi files open fine. I tried and can confirm this; avi playback does not appear to be affected. I have not tried playing back CD, DVD, or Blu-ray at this point.

In sum: problem appears with the latest build of PowerDVD. I'm back to using Windows 10's built in Film&TV app to playback mkv files. The older Windows Media Player also works, as does Aimersoft Media Converter's built in player.
Hicham_B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Could you provide your dxdiag so we can further investigate?

Greetings,
Hicham Technical support:
gritts1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2017 10:10 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I am also having issues with PowerDVD 17. I am unable to install the app. When I attempt to do so I am presented with the message below repeatedly throught the install...

"R6034 The application has attempted to load the C runtime library incorrectly..."

After the attempt at installation, PowerDVD will not launch. Trying to launch presents the same message again. When I run the uninstall, I get the same message once again.

I have tried an install in safe mode with the same results as well. Also a clean boot ensuring nothing was loaded.

I have also uninstalled C Runtime 2010 and 2012 per supports instruction.

As a last resort, I have uninstalled my copy of PowerDVD 12 as mentioned in another article.

I would like to get this program working. My 30 day refund period I am almost certain has lapsed while I worked with support and attempting to find answers. I get no repsonse from the Miscrosoft forums.

After uninstalling PowerDVD 12 I am unable to re-install as I have since lost the install files
Dragonextinction [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2017 03:16 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm having the same problem, which started after I applied the October 25 PowerDVD 17 Ultra patch (2101). I am running Windows 10 which is up to date WITHOUT the Fall Creators build (ie all updates and patches applied with that exception) and PowerDVD worked perfectly until I applied the latest PowerDVD patch. Now PowerDVD hangs on mkv playback. The player starts but the screen remains blank and there are no controls displayed. I do hear audio. I have the latest graphics driver installed.

Clicking on the help link from within PowerDVD freezes the program for up to a minute. If I click the help buttron a second or third time (thinking that I "missed" it the first time"), PowerDVD crashes - freezes. I have to manually terminate PowerDVD and two or more PowerDVD help applications from within Task Manager.

When double-clicking an mkv file I get the PowerDVD playback screen, no contols, black area (ie no picture). Closing PoweDVD doesn't actually close the process at this point; I have to use Task Manager to terminate it.

When I open PowerDVD first and attempt playback from within PowerDVD, nothing happens; the playback window does not open and I get an hour glass icon and frozen program for up to 20 seconds or so. This also happens when I click on the help link.

Readinng through this thread and others, I note that others report that avi files open fine. I tried and can confirm this; avi playback does not appear to be affected. I have not tried playing back CD, DVD, or Blu-ray at this point.

In sum: problem appears with the latest build of PowerDVD. I'm back to using Windows 10's built in Film&TV app to playback mkv files. The older Windows Media Player also works, as does Aimersoft Media Converter's built in player.

I have the same issue. Just upgraded to PowerDVD 17, I was using "16" before with no issues. Now I hear the sound but like this person all I get is a black screen, no movie. In fact the first time I tried to play the blueray disc, it played fine on my PS4 just fine. my pc restarted on me. My pc way more then meets the requirements in fact it's of the top of the line with the latest gaming pc from Digital Storm. I have the latest version of Windows 10. I will not under any circumstances roll back any updates to Windows 10. You need to do an update, There is no excuse for trying to force people who paid for the upgrade to make changes to their OS when before you roll out the patch it should have been tested on the latest version. Please fix this soon or I will to ask for a refund!
Hicham_B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I am also having issues with PowerDVD 17. I am unable to install the app. When I attempt to do so I am presented with the message below repeatedly throught the install...

"R6034 The application has attempted to load the C runtime library incorrectly..."

After the attempt at installation, PowerDVD will not launch. Trying to launch presents the same message again. When I run the uninstall, I get the same message once again.

I have tried an install in safe mode with the same results as well. Also a clean boot ensuring nothing was loaded.

As a last resort, I have uninstalled my copy of PowerDVD 12 as mentioned in another article.

I would like to get this program working. My 30 day refund period I am almost certain has lapsed while I worked with support and attempting to find answers. I get no repsonse from the Miscrosoft forums.

After uninstalling PowerDVD 12 I am unable to re-install as I have since lost the install files

Hi gritts1,

Have you contacted the technical support in this regard? Please share your DxDiag and your support ticket number (CS).

Greetings,
Hicham Technical support:
gritts1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I am also having issues with PowerDVD 17. I am unable to install the app. When I attempt to do so I am presented with the message below repeatedly throught the install...

Hi gritts1,

Have you contacted the technical support in this regard? Please share your DxDiag and your support ticket number (CS).

Greetings,
Hicham

Hicham,

Yes, I have opened 2 tickets with support...

CS001815670 & CS001814891.

Attached is my most recent "dxdiag" result file.
 Filename
DxDiag_11272017.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
290 time(s)
Hicham_B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi gritts1,

Our developers are investigating in this regard. We will inform you once the problem is fixed.

Greetings,
Hicham

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 30. 2017 08:35

Technical support:
gritts1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi gritts1,

Our developers are investigating in this regard. We will inform you once the problem is fixed.

Greetings,
Hicham

Thank you....

Has there been any progress on this? As of now, I am still using my PowerDVD 12 and feel I have wasted my money on version 17.
Northman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 06, 2015 10:43 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I also had the R6034 error and found the issue. Some google results are pointing to a wrong or missing msvcr90.dll.
ProcMon shows that the R6034 error always occurs while the setup accesses c:\python27\msvcr90.dll. c:\python27 was in the path environment variable. Removing it from %PATH% did not solve the problem as PowerDVD seems to use Python as well and finds a local installation and tries to access that DLL.
So I removed Python and the setup works fine and PowerDVD is running now.
PowerDVD now uses the DLL from the winsxs directory.

Check your system:
Download ProcMon: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
Start and accept EULA. Press CTRL+E immediately to disable the excessive scanning.
Choose "Filter / Drop Filtered Events"
CTRL+L to open the filter options.
First drop down: "Details"
Second drop down: "contains"
Enter "msvcr" (w/o quotes) in the text field.
Click "Add" and "OK"
CTRL+E re-enables the scanning
Start the setup.

I will not give advice what to do now! The possibilities are endless.
Your result maybe an additional hint for the devs what's going wrong with their product.
gritts1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I also had the R6034 error and found the issue. Some google results are pointing to a wrong or missing msvcr90.dll.
ProcMon shows that the R6034 error always occurs while the setup accesses c:\python27\msvcr90.dll. c:\python27 was in the path environment variable. Removing it from %PATH% did not solve the problem as PowerDVD seems to use Python as well and finds a local installation and tries to access that DLL.
So I removed Python and the setup works fine and PowerDVD is running now.
PowerDVD now uses the DLL from the winsxs directory.

Check your system:
Download ProcMon: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
Start and accept EULA. Press CTRL+E immediately to disable the excessive scanning.
Choose "Filter / Drop Filtered Events"
CTRL+L to open the filter options.
First drop down: "Details"
Second drop down: "contains"
Enter "msvcr" (w/o quotes) in the text field.
Click "Add" and "OK"
CTRL+E re-enables the scanning
Start the setup.

I will not give advice what to do now! The possibilities are endless.
Your result maybe an additional hint for the devs what's going wrong with their product.

This helped! I did not uninstall my copy of Python27 as other applications I have run with it. Instead, I have just renamed the directory and the install completed. Renaming the Python directory back to its original name after install, causes the messages to reappear once again. For now, I will have to rename the Python27 install directory based on what I am running. This error does happen even after the most recent PowerDVD patch. Thank you for posting your findings. I used ProcMon but I must have been to tired at the time to notice what was happening.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
What python version you currently installed?
I have python installed, too, but never got this issue.
2.7.14 or 3.6.4 version?
Northman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 06, 2015 10:43 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
@gritts1: glad to hear that it helped at least one other user :-)
@QC2.0: Python 2.7.11.
Dee-Dee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2017 11:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
i just bought power dvd electronic download: the program opens but when I try to play a dvd it freezes up and screen pops up saying the program has an error. i send the error report off, but there is very little information on cyberlink troubleshooting and help menus to sort out the problem. I am waiting for response from cyberlink.
Heimdall74200 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: thonon les bains Joined: Sep 15, 2017 20:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm having the same problem, which started after I applied the October 25 PowerDVD 17 Ultra patch (2101). I am running Windows 10 which is up to date WITHOUT the Fall Creators build (ie all updates and patches applied with that exception) and PowerDVD worked perfectly until I applied the latest PowerDVD patch. Now PowerDVD hangs on mkv playback. The player starts but the screen remains blank and there are no controls displayed. I do hear audio. I have the latest graphics driver installed.

for the solution
it is necessary to modify the authorizations of the folder PowerDVD and
to put in total control, because powerdvd does not have access to its
own file of decoding video , and suddenly powerdvd can not use its codecs to read the videos
Dee-Dee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2017 11:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
My factory installed Cyberlink 12 Software for toshiba laptop stopped working and so I assumed updating to the latest Cyberlink Software would solve the problem, and I was wrong it did not solve the problem.

I purchased the latest update to Power DVD and had nothing but troubles operating the software: in fact software just would not work. I tried everything. I installed patches, I made changes to settings, and nothing worked.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop on Windows 10. Cyberlink software was factory installed and software is a version made for my Toshiba Laptop.

In the end after opening two support tickets with Cyberlink and followed all their instructions of which none fixed the problem. I had no choice but to ask for a refund, and the refund was issued very quickly.

However, I was still faced with the problem that the original factory Cyberlink installed DVD player did not work.

I resorted to some very drastic action: and have fixed the problem.

First of all what I did was I completely uninstalled the new Cyberlink Software. I mean completely uninstalled all of it. I shut my computer down completely and did a fresh restart. I also performed disk clean ups, did a defragment, and I ran thorough scans using McAfee and C-Cleaner Software to clean cache, and fix registry errors etc and I also ran Click & Clean to clear cache for Internet Explorer, Google Chrome etc and other browsers. I made certain all updates for Windows was current and installed. This process was very worthwhile as my PC start-up was fast, and operating at optimum speed.

Neither Toshiba Manufacturer or Cyberlink could answer my question about the orignal Cyberlink factory install software, that if I deleted this software, would it reinstall, and would I need to purchase a new license. The fact I could not receive any guarantee helped me find a solution.

I wanted to avoid doing a fresh install of windows, or completely wipe and reformat , or do a system restore, as I felt all these suggestions were drastic measures.

So what I felt the best thing to do, was look on my C-Drive and find where on the Program files the Cyberlink 12 software was stored, and I found the Installation icon to re-install software. I clicked it and the entire Cyberlink 12 software reinstalled. I restarted my pc, and then opened the software, and for the first time in 6 months Cyberlink Power DVD Player worked.

Rather than reinstall the software by obtaining a fresh copy look for where the original software is stored on your computer, look for the icon that will launch a fresh install of the original software. Installation Wizard will take care of a fresh install, when screens popped up with the wizard asking for permission to remove old or existingversion before reinstalling fresh copy/version I clicked yes, and this resolved all the problems and Cyberlink Version12 is now working. I have not attempted to install the latest new version of Cyberlink Software: I just don't want to take the risk. Although Cyberlink Version 12 software is not as good as the latest version, I am just relieved original software is now operating correctly.

Please be aware, the steps I have taken worked for me: it does not guarantee the same remedy will be successful on other people's computer. I hope by sharing my experience and my remedy that somehow it might give ideas to others on steps they could take to fix problem they have with Cyberlink software.