Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dolby Vision support?!
Godmax [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 12, 2017 05:31 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

just a quick but important question: are there plans for including Dolby Vision or nothing as of yet? Cause with the full UHD Disc power one would hope to be able to enjoy Dolby Vision as well. Would be fantastic.

Thank you

Godmax
Godmax [Avatar]
[Post New]
So no Dolby Vision planned? A goddamn shame
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So no Dolby Vision planned? A goddamn shame

Welcome to the USERS forum. As such, almost all people who post here are not related in any way to Cyberlink (other then being users).

If you want to know about Dolby Vision plans, contact Cyberlink support directly. Do you know of any other prosumer software that supports that technology? Tell Cyberlink to support your argument that it should be included and that the cost would not be out of range. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Godmax [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok I've done that

Of course there is no knowledge of anything regarding Dolby Vision but the idea has been noted and forwarded to the developer teams.

Personally I don't expect anything before PowerDVD18 in April 2018 A shame....
Godmax [Avatar]
[Post New]
So even now with PowerDVD18 there is no Dolby Vision support

Of course it must be Dolbys fault. They dont care they dont want to sell the licenses. No mediaplayer (hardware or software besides the Oppo 203) can deal with DV even though more and more discs now have it.

Why are there no plans for it why is there no petition or anything? Just sweep it under the carpet and thats it? Its a damn shame.

Just wanted to say that here even though no one from PowerDVD will see or acknowledge it of course....
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So even now with PowerDVD18 there is no Dolby Vision support

Of course it must be Dolbys fault. They dont care they dont want to sell the licenses. No mediaplayer (hardware or software besides the Oppo 203) can deal with DV even though more and more discs now have it.

Why are there no plans for it why is there no petition or anything? Just sweep it under the carpet and thats it? Its a damn shame.

Just wanted to say that here even though no one from PowerDVD will see or acknowledge it of course....

That's why HDR10 format is popular on the market.

1. A license from the patent owner.
2. Money/Cost
3. etc.
Godmax [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's why HDR10 format is popular on the market.

1. A license from the patent owner.
2. Money/Cost
3. etc.

The question is: whats your point? There are many discs with HDR10 only and more and more with Dolby Vision as well. Even with the 100 Euros/Dollars PowerDVD version you cant watch DV stuff. With the right TV Dolby Vision is interesting and people with a tv like that would certainly use it.

But Dolby is still denying the DV license is that correct? A disaster....newest technique totally destroyed and held behind bars.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]

The question is: whats your point? There are many discs with HDR10 only and more and more with Dolby Vision as well. Even with the 100 Euros/Dollars PowerDVD version you cant watch DV stuff. With the right TV Dolby Vision is interesting and people with a tv like that would certainly use it.

But Dolby is still denying the DV license is that correct? A disaster....newest technique totally destroyed and held behind bars.

I believe those well-known TV manufacturers have more business power and are much bigger than a PC software player company.

A TV, which supports Dolby Vision, is much more expensive than a non-HDR TV or a software player license (e.g. powerdvd), and i think a DolbyVision TV is more expensive than a HDR10 TV if they are at similar price level.

HDR10 is still not that popular in home electronics, and DolbyVision is less than HDR10. So as 4K blu-ray.
(Who watch high quality movies by disc today/everyday?)
And, for those HDR TV owners, how many users will choose PC as their first option to play HDR movie content on TV?

However, what I said is just a reasonable assumption.
Perhaps, you can conduct a questionaire on the street to widely investigate the HDR usage without movie fans bias.

I have no idea if Dolby is willing to license it to any specific companies commercially, but the cost/money matters everything.
Last but not the least, there are development efforts and hazards for the participants which want to support the feature.

By the way, I work in IT industry, love those PC stuffs and host them myself.
rolldog
Newbie Location: Baton Rouge, LA Joined: Jun 21, 2015 14:59 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]

I believe those well-known TV manufacturers have more business power and are much bigger than a PC software player company.

A TV, which supports Dolby Vision, is much more expensive than a non-HDR TV or a software player license (e.g. powerdvd), and i think a DolbyVision TV is more expensive than a HDR10 TV if they are at similar price level.

HDR10 is still not that popular in home electronics, and DolbyVision is less than HDR10. So as 4K blu-ray.
(Who watch high quality movies by disc today/everyday?)
And, for those HDR TV owners, how many users will choose PC as their first option to play HDR movie content on TV?

However, what I said is just a reasonable assumption.
Perhaps, you can conduct a questionaire on the street to widely investigate the HDR usage without movie fans bias.

I have no idea if Dolby is willing to license it to any specific companies commercially, but the cost/money matters everything.
Last but not the least, there are development efforts and hazards for the participants which want to support the feature.

By the way, I work in IT industry, love those PC stuffs and host them myself.

I don't think it will ever happen. I, for one, watch HDR content every day and every TV in my house supports 4K60 HDR and most include DV as well. As for being probably one of the very few people who watch HDR content on a regular basis, I also don't have a HTPC or watch content from a PC on any of my TVs unless you count my Sony A1E, which I use as a computer monitor. I don't even watch HDR content on it either. I think the market for DV content processing in a software package is non-existent and definitely won't justify the licensing fee. Most people use these software packages to store, edit, view content at a desk and aren't likely to sit there for 2 hours to watch a movie. My camera can shoot videos in 4K60 with HLG HDR, but when it comes down to watching the content, it's done from the comfort of my sofa. More than likely, if software did exist for the consumer market to handle dynamic metadata, you probably wouldn't be able to afford the hardware to process it. Using camera similar to the Red Dragon that can record video in 8K resolution with 16 bit color produce videos that are roughly 200GB for each second of content.