Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
LUTs not working
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

I have just upgraded from PD 14 to PD16. I was trying out the LUTs in the Fix/Enhance menu. I have downloaded the exact same free LUTs that are shown in the Cyberlink help video for using LUTs. I followed the exact same procedure as instructed but nothing happens when I select a LUT. Any idea what I have done wrong? The files are .CUBE files.

Regards

Nigel
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nigel -

I doubt that you've done anything wrongly. Some LUTs will have almost no impact on particular clips, I assume partly because they may have been made for use on video shot with a particular camera on a particular setting.

Were the LUTs you downloaded from RocketStock?

How observant are you? Did you notice in the tutorial video at 2:43 that the LUT selected is not a .CUBE file, but .3dl? It's possible the tutorial maker dropped that file there to show an obvious effect.

Attached are some free LUTs I've downloaded. I'd be surprised if they don't have some impact, even if it's not the look you're after.

Let us know what happens.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
LUTsamples.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1046 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
442 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Nigel -

I doubt that you've done anything wrongly. Some LUTs will have almost no impact on particular clips, I assume partly because they may have been made for use on video shot with a particular camera on a particular setting.

Were the LUTs you downloaded from RocketStock?

How observant are you? Did you notice in the tutorial video at 2:43 that the LUT selected is not a .CUBE file, but .3dl? It's possible the tutorial maker dropped that file there to show an obvious effect.

Attached are some free LUTs I've downloaded. I'd be surprised if they don't have some impact, even if it's not the look you're after.

Let us know what happens.

Cheers - Tony

Tony

Yes it was RocketStock I downloaded from. I have tried yours and yours all work fine but I honestly cannot see any effect with Rocketstock's. I specifically tried out the examples they showed on their website e.g. Pitaya 15.cube (this should have a pretty pronounced darkening shadows effect) but nothing changes. As yours work it appears I have a problem mot with PD16 but RocketStock!

Regards

Nigel
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Nigel, you are right. The 35 free LUTs from RocketStock seem to have a wrong format for videos. I tried them with ColorDirector. None of them were accepted as a valid LUT, that means, if I choose a LUT with ColorDirector, the filechooser for choosing a LUT just opens again without applying the formerly selected LUT.

I was able to open the LUTs in Affinity Photo. So they are working with photos.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Hatti I am glad it was not me being stupid!

nigel
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nigel & Hatti -

I'm no expert on these things, but (from what I can tell) the RocketStock freebies are 3D LUTs, in 3D CUBE format. Hatti's right - they don't work in CDR either.

I converted them to .3dl using a LUT Converter tool & the converted LUTs work in both PDR16 & CDR.

The converted LUTs are attached if you'd like to have a play.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Converted LUTs.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
781 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
437 time(s)

collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Nigel & Hatti -

I'm no expert on these things, but (from what I can tell) the RocketStock freebies are 3D LUTs, in 3D CUBE format. Hatti's right - they don't work in CDR either.

I converted them to .3dl using a LUT Converter tool & the converted LUTs work in both PDR16 & CDR.

Cheers - Tony

Tony

Thanks that has solved it and they are now working.

Nigel
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Another solution to using those 35 free LUTs from RocketStock has been found. A FB PD user member found that renaming the CUBE extension to lower case letter cube solved the problem. It works for me.

Edit: Thanks to Tony for finding the initial solution to this issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2018 13:50

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Here is an easy and fast way to convert all 35 LUTs to usable ones for PD16. Hold down the Shift key and Right mouse click on the 35 Free LUTs folder. Click the Open command window here from the drop down window. A Dosbox window appears. Type ren*.CUBE *.cube and hit the <ENTER> key and all those CUBE files in the folder will be converted to cube files. They will be usable in PD16.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Tomas -

The other bit of good news about those .CUBE LUTs is that CL is onto it. That was one issue corrected in the most recent 2503 beta patch.

So, with the beta patch applied, the .CUBE LUTs from RocketStock (and others with capitalised extensions) will now work correctly in PDR16. The same cannot be said for CDR6 undecided

Until the fix is incorporated into a "proper" patch for PDR16 & CDR6, one of the workarounds is going to be needed.

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Quote Hi Nigel & Hatti -

Cheers - Tony

Hey guys,

Ty for the LUTS help. I downloaded the Peter Mckinnon LUTS which are so sweet, except I can not use them. I tried running them through a LUT converter, but it failed. Can anyone help with these? They cost $15 fyi. You would need to tell me what I can do to help in the simplest of laymans terms. I atttached one of several, but I woud need specific intructions on how you converted it

ty,

HikeLife

Moderation Note:
The LUTs are paid for items and, as Tony has already tested them and found them to be useable in PDR, the links have been removed to avoid any rights infringement by hosting a freelancer's work. Members wishing to use the LUTs referenced can purchase them directly from the developer.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 07. 2018 03:27

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi HikeLife -

The LUTs you attached work perfectly well in PDR16 with the latest 3424 patch installed. There should be no need to convert them at all.

The attached screenshots show Sony S-Log clip with & without the "Teal & Orange" LUT.

In that earlier post, the LUT converter I used was BRIZ LUT Converter which does a great job. It shouldn't be necessary in this case.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - PDR16 - LUT.jpg]
 Filename
PDR16 - LUT.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
704 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)
[Thumb - PDR16 - no LUT.jpg]
 Filename
PDR16 - no LUT.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
678 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)

[Post New]
Quote Hi HikeLife -

The LUTs you attached work perfectly well in PDR16 with the latest 3424 patch installed. There should be no need to convert them at all.

The attached screenshots show Sony S-Log clip with & without the "Teal & Orange" LUT.

In that earlier post, the LUT converter I used was BRIZ LUT Converter which does a great job. It shouldn't be necessary in this case.

Cheers - Tony

Then maybe I am doing something wrong. Im using CLPD 15. Can you give me a step by step of how to load these please?
ynotfish
[Post New]
Oh - I assumed you were using PDR16, since this is the PDR16 forum.

PowerDirector15 cannot import LUTs. 16 & 17 can.

Here are the steps taken in PDR16 & CDR4 - the LUTs you previously attached are used in the screen capture:

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2018 15:21

s-a [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 31, 2017 14:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Oh - I assumed you were using PDR16, since this is the PDR16 forum.

PowerDirector15 cannot import LUTs. 16 & 17 can.

Here are the steps taken in PDR16 & CDR4 - the LUTs you previously attached are used in the screen capture:

Cheers - Tony

@ynotfish any tools out there to convert .cube to .pdadj for powerdirector 15? It make s me sad. I purchased PD15 for a lot of money and the merchandise told that Powerdirector is a professional video editing tool. A far as i can see LUT is the defacto standard in professional video productions. Anoying to realize I need an version upgrade or an External addiotnal tool like ColorDirector for such an standard function. Instead of making money and money money it would we nice to provide a clean app app to simply convert the file types. Even an simple online tool would make it. I mean everytime I start PD15 there is popping up Merchandise in a paid product over and over again.

Best regards,
Stephan