Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Waveform on Timeline
ace620 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2013 19:35 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Is anybody having trouble with the audio timeline not showing waveform?

This started on upgrading to PD16. It was never a problem in PD15. But since installing 16,

even 15 doesn't show the waveform. Show waveform is checked in preferences, but it still

doesn't show waveform on timeline.
Fred Rijckenberg [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands Joined: Jun 08, 2014 05:41 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is anybody having trouble with the audio timeline not showing waveform?

This started on upgrading to PD16. It was never a problem in PD15. But since installing 16,

even 15 doesn't show the waveform. Show waveform is checked in preferences, but it still

I have the same problem. Is there a solution.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]

In Preferences > General. Check that "Show Sound Waveform in timeline" is checked.

If it is not checked there will be no waveform. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ace620 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As stated "Show Sound Waveform in timeline" is checked.

However, the wave form may or may not show...for most part, it doesn't show on the timeline.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 04. 2017 19:54

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]

Make sure that the audio volume is high enough to show the wave form. Go to the audio Mixing room and raise the volume until it show.

What format is the source video? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
ace620 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Make sure that the audio volume is high enough to show the wave form. Go to the audio Mixing room and raise the volume until it show.

What format is the source video?

It can be an MP4 with PowerDirector Defaults (16mb) rendered out.

Import it...No Waveform on audio track.
[Post New]
I noticed similar behaviour. It happens with clips from my Nikon D3300 as well as screen recordings from Bandicam. Both use the AAC codec I believe and 48 KHz.

There is a simple fix for me. I just save the project, quit PD16, and launch it again. Then the waveforms show up for me

Website
YouTube
kenstir66 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2012 19:37 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I noticed similar behaviour. It happens with clips from my Nikon D3300 as well as screen recordings from Bandicam. Both use the AAC codec I believe and 48 KHz.

There is a simple fix for me. I just save the project, quit PD16, and launch it again. Then the waveforms show up for me

I am having this problem and this is a half solution for me. It worked on a brand new project with 1 video; the waveform was missing, I saved and closed PD16 and restarted, and it showed up. But the waveform still doesn't show up on a big project where I really want it. That project was started with the trial version of PD16 and I have never seen waveforms in it.

All of my video clips are MTS files with AC-3 audio tracks. My soundtrack is an MP3 file and I don't see waveforms there either.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 20. 2017 21:11

[Post New]

Has this been sorted out now after about 2 yrs ?

I am having this problem now after doing what Cyberlink suggested on a previous thread
PureChaosX
Newbie Location: Planet Earth Joined: May 13, 2015 14:50 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]

Has this been sorted out now after about 2 yrs ?

I am having this problem now after doing what Cyberlink suggested on a previous thread

Lol, not even close. A group of us did find out that we can get the waveform to appear if you used the Empty the Library option, saved then re-opened. This seemed to often work.

But this no longer works as well as it used to. Videos seem to get their waveform without a problem, but audio files, including MP3 and M4A no longer generate a waveform. Saving, closing and re-opening fails to work as well. Whatever it is, it just gets WORSE each and everytime.

So to answer your question, NO, CyberLink haven't sorted it out. I'm currently sitting here for 30 minutes waiting for an M4A audio file to generate the waveform, and so far absolutely nothing is happening.

Saved, closed, opened, repeated... over and over. Still waiting, been nearly 35 minutes now. Totally gonna have to move on from PD17 at this rate, it's just never worked the way it's supposed to, which is a shame because it does everything I need it to, without it being overly complicated like some other video editors.

OMG... it just generated a waveform about 40 minutes later!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2019 21:08

Windows 10 Pro x64
MSi P45T-C51 Motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 OC'd @ 3.0GHz
6Gb RAM
nVidia EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2Gb
500Gb SanDisk Ultra II SSD
Western Digital Blue 500Gb HDD x2
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
PureChaosX, why are you trolling here in the PD16 forum?

On the thread you created last year, everyone was cooperative and we made real progress with the workaround and in getting CL to patch PD17.

However, no related patch was issued for PD16 that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, it's too old to be patched now, so people will have to rely on the workaround to get waveforms generated.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
PureChaosX
Newbie Location: Planet Earth Joined: May 13, 2015 14:50 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Not trolling, I just saw a question and answered it. I was unaware the CL had issued a patch for PD17 to fix the waveform issue.

I tired installing the latest patch but it said I do not have the correct version of PD17 so I can't really test it. Windows 10 Pro x64
MSi P45T-C51 Motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 OC'd @ 3.0GHz
6Gb RAM
nVidia EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2Gb
500Gb SanDisk Ultra II SSD
Western Digital Blue 500Gb HDD x2