Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can flv files open in PD14?
chuckp1613 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Texas, USA Joined: Sep 27, 2017 14:19 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Most of my recorded material is in flv format. To edit I have to convert, edit, save and re-convert back to flv. The double conversion causes a loss in quality. I'd really like to continue using this format. Is there a codec, patch or such that would allow me to edit flv in PD14?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2017 14:59

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
According to this the FLV container is supported but by the looks of it only for H264 codec (even though that is a bit of a nonsense). Presumably you've tried and failed to import your files. If you have a small .flv file that you could post it would help.

Flash is pretty much dead in the water now, certainly a deprecated format, so I would guess it's old material, how were the files recorded in the first place?

p.s. - there's an outside chance that your system could be short of the necessary codec. If you search for, download and install the K Lite Codec pack it might just sort the problem out for you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2017 15:52

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chuck -

As Longedge says, FLV is a thing of the past (or words to that effect).

Still, under the right conditions, you should be able to import & edit most flv files. They typically use a Sorenson H.263 codec, sometimes H.264. You may come across some that use a VP6 codec. With those, PDR will not even recognise the audio & it needs to be converted for editing.

In this little packed project, there are samples of each. That VP6 file plays back fine on my PC, but not in PDR14 (no audio). Converted to H.263 it's all good.

Yes - I do have K-LIte codec pack installed.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
chuckp1613 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The device I'm saving for will only read .flv, .mpg and .mp4. Which of these would you recomend?
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Given those choices, MP4.
chuckp1613 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Given those choices, MP4.

Thanks. I'll start saving and converting my files to .mp4.