Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timeline cursor position question
DavidONeil [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2010 11:17 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry if this has been answered before, but my Google-fu is not working if it is.

When working with a project, is it possible, when the mouse cursor is over a clip in the editing window, to click the mouse with some key(s) pressed and have the timeline position move to the current mouse position? Do we have to click in the timeline each and every time we want to change the time position?

Thanks,

David
[Post New]
Hi,

personally, i prefer to enter directly the time where i want the timeline to be positionned by double-click on the time clip under the preview window.

Otherwise have look under the edit menu you'll find all the shotcuts available (Alt+H)
DavidONeil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote i prefer to enter directly the time where i want the timeline to be positionned by double-click on the time clip under the preview window.

That doesn't address the issue I'm bringing up, unless I'm not understanding you correctly. Additionally, I don't see why you have to double-click there - a single click (and drag, if you want) moves the time around in that window, and your project.

Quote Otherwise have look under the edit menu you'll find all the shotcuts available (Alt+H)

I've looked. Didn't find anything.

To be clearer about my inquiry, say you have an audio clip in your project, and you have zoomed in on it and can see the 'word' you want to move the cursor in front of. If you could press 'C' (for 'C'ursor, for example), and then click the mouse at the desired point in the audio clip, you wouldn't have to take your eyes off the audio clip, move to the timeline, then synchronize the timeline and audio clip view. It would be a nice time saver in the long run.

Thanks!
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
What you would like to do then is to have individual audio timelines have the same functionality as the main/master timeline.

As you say, a single click on the main timeline moves the scrubber to that location. You also get a little cursor tooltip that tells you the exact position to which you are pointing before you click. For myself, I find the way it works is useful and intuitive.

I don't know of anyway that you can achieve what you are after but as usual stand to be corrected.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote What you would like to do then is to have individual audio timelines have the same functionality as the main/master timeline.

As you say, a single click on the main timeline moves the scrubber to that location. You also get a little cursor tooltip that tells you the exact position to which you are pointing before you click. For myself, I find the way it works is useful and intuitive.

I don't know of anyway that you can achieve what you are after but as usual stand to be corrected.

Hi Longedge

You are quite right, it is very useful to be able to pinpoint the exact time on the timeline. I think it is worth pointing out that to get the exact position of the scrubber you have to point to the triangle at the top of the scrubber to get that information. Pointing just at the clip, gives only start, end time and duration. Also, in Movie mode, the same information can be found on the timer under the preview screen, but your suggestion is like a shortcut.

I only learned this after reading your post, so every day is a school day

Ta

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 26. 2017 12:12

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
DavidONeil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What you would like to do then is to have individual audio timelines have the same functionality as the main/master timeline.

Not just audio. It would be very helpful to be able to press 'C' (or another key) and click the mouse anywhere underneath the timeline, on any audio, video, or other channel, which would set the cursor position to the mouse position.
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is my point really, using the main timeline sets the scrubber position for all tracks. It's a single click, no need to use any key press at all.
DavidONeil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That is my point really, using the main timeline sets the scrubber position for all tracks. It's a single click, no need to use any key press at all.

But that doesn't help when you are concentrating on performing edits doing heavy work below the timeline. Your eyes have to look away from what you are working on. My desire is for a way to keep your eyes focused on where you are working.
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK - chacun à son goût smile