Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
1:1 square videos for Facebook, Instagram with PowerDirector
[Post New]
Powerdirector 15 (and 16 I think) doesn't have a 1:1 project mode. Why? Because it was never a popular format. It is now though thanks to social media.

It's possible to output a 1:1 video by tweeking the user settings profile.

To create a 1:1 video from a 16:9 source I switch to a 4:3 mode and do my work in that incuding zooming the 16:9 video into the from (alternatively use the black space to put text and logos for speaker-off viewers.

Then you need to create a new output profile in the standard way.

I use an MP4 profile with 8Mbps for a 1080x1080 output. Chose any frame size in the profile.

Name the profile something obvious like 'square facebook'

Then, use the old trick of modding the PowerDirector user settings file. In my case...

C:\Users\shiny\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\15.0\UserConfigure

Make a copy of profile.ini and then edit profile.ini with a text editor.

Find the name of the new profile in the file and simply change the resolution setting. See the image attached for an example.

I haven't worked out if the output is cropped or stretched to 1:1 but it definately outputs a 1:1 square format file.

Hope this helps social media video creators.

Steve
[Thumb - square pd15.JPG]
 Filename
square pd15.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
profile.ini example
 Filesize
187 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
303 time(s)
http://HiBlue.com
Video studio in Bonn, Germany
Stoliv [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 25, 2018 07:41 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
This was a big help - thank you!

UPDATE: I spoke too soon, this didn't work in v16.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2018 08:10

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Many smartphones can capture a video and photos in the square aspect ratio in their settings. I beleive it is the intention of uploading it without editing for something quick.
[Post New]
Interesting but doesn't work at least not the output part.

Yeah we can jerry rig the video manually. Wow thats amazing... not.

So really there is no answer other than "do it yourself". -- A merry heart doeth good as a medicine --
The Troy Spiral Experience on YouTube (BDSM)