Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Version 16 VERY DISSAPOINTING
Tomas G77
Member Location: Ayrshire Joined: Jun 13, 2008 08:54 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Not worth updating from version 15 to 16 so I will not bother

whats new NOT A LOT 360% how many users interested in that?

it still has a lot of the same little bugs carried over from v-15

how many others on the Forum think its a wast of time updating to v-16

there must be more than me

above is just my opinion, Its more PD 15.5 and I think its just to get your monies I will wait for version 17 and hope

for a decent update, in the meantime other software does more

but if some one can tell me whats been a significant improvement other than 360% then let me no

Thank You

Tom G Scotland

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 23. 2017 07:42

Thomas G
I'm a 33yr old trapped in a 69yr old body
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tom,

You cane very close to violating number 6 here.

You are free to express your opinion but not to advertise a specific competitors software with a recommendation.

Please edit your post or don't be surprised if yoiur post disappears.

BTW, the DVD making process in that software is terrible.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2017 10:56

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Tomas G77
[Post New]
Quote Hi Tom,

You cane very close to violating number 6 here.

You are free to express your opinion but not to advertise a specific competitors software with a recommendation.

Please edit your post or don't be surprised if yoiur post disappears.

BTW, the DVD maing process in that software is terrible.

I strongly disagree with your comments

I NEVER RECOMENDED ANY SOFTWARE I said Pinnacle Studio MAY do better but I'm not recomending it at all

I'm quiet sure Cyberlink users are not stupid to think version 16 is any sort of upgrade

I have altered my post to ( other softwaer may do better I hope this satisfies you )

to much political correctness in the 21st centuary

freedome of speech appears to be getting banned more and more eh

Have a nice day

Tom G Scotland

Tom G Scotland

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2017 07:51

Thomas G
I'm a 33yr old trapped in a 69yr old body
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
While I agree that we are seeing a severe erosion of the freedom of speech in the States (try wearing a MAGA baseball cap and see what others will do to you), let's remember that there is no 1st Amendment right to free speech in a private setting. The Constitution only limits (in theory) what the govt can do. Not what CL (or the NFL) can do. (For example, a person does not have the right to come into my home and swear.) So if a person posts here, they gotta play by CL's rules.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Back on topic...

Whilst it's probably true that some users aren't interested in 360° video, it probably wouldn't be very smart of software designers to ignore it completely.

I've read comments that express disappontment that there aren't many new features in PDR16, yet how many times have we also heard comments like: "Don't give us more bells & whistles - just a stable platform"?

I guess it's hard to get the balance right, but that's the market. Follow trends? Set trends? or walk a safe path down the middle.

There wouldn't be (I think) very many forum members here who exclusively use PDR for editing & associated processes. We all use the thing that suits our purposes at the time.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Andy W
Newbie Location: United Kingdom Joined: May 24, 2017 16:01 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, I can't agree at all. From my point of view the 360 stuff is of no interest. But the new colour correction features may really help those of us that shoot underwater shots especially and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do. I'm also looking forward to playing with the collage maker plugin as that is likely to come in useful for me too.

I must admit I didn't upgrade to 15 from 14 as there didn't seem much difference apart from the 360. I guess you really should read the guff before you blindly upgrade to see if it's worth it. Live big! Love bigger =)
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, the best feedback is Sales feedback. If everyone wants 360, sales will show it. If few want it, then (low) sales of PD16 will show that too.

Me? I don't care about 360. (Or 3D, as a competitor pushed years ago.) I just want everything to work, and work fast. If TrueVelocity7 is substantially faster than TV6 (even if I have to buy a GTX 1060 to realize it), I'll buy it. (After the first patch comes out.)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2017 22:36

Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
I have to admit that I was a little disappointed myself in the new features of PD. Version 15 had the 360 degree video features (which I had no use for), so I thought they would add some other things that we've been asking for. The major addition is the 360 stabilization and I have no use for that.

If they run a REALLY good special in the coming months I may consider upgrading, but I will probably wait until version 17 (Hoping that they add some of the many other things we've been asking for like the ability to draw simple shapes within the program: lines, squares, circles, etc; The ability to draw masks within the program; The ability to rotate PiP objects around ANY point - by moving the rotation origin; and so on).

Anyway, here's to hoping that number 17 will be "the big one".

Russell1967 System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
[Post New]
So this version now supports MOV files but not the better prores files. None of my rampant design light leaks or other effects will work with this version either. So much for going forward. Other software has this beat already.
In fact even this 360 deg malarky was just added in a patch in another editor for free, this could have been the case here and more real features added to make it worthwhile. Waiting for v17 now. Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 Mainboard : Intel i7 2700k @ 3.6ghz: 12 gb DDR3 Kingston ram:
2TB WD Black HD's: Asus GTX970 4gb ram: Windows 10 Pro 64bit:

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Ditto. The number of improvements do not seem enough to warrant an upgrade. And as per my previous thread regarding video quailty being lower when compared to PD15 it's a thumbs down for now from this user. Win 10, i7
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Its no news that I too am disappointed, been waiting for UHD burning, apparently nobody wants it and that is the bottom line.

From time to time I look around to see if there are greener pastures on the other side of the hill. Tried a sample download yesterday from a major brand name and had 3 crashes in 30 min, so for me PD has been for years the best software to use. PD works well, has most of the features I want and is very stable because simple editing, albeit in UHD, is all I do.

Some of the audio features are of interest so I might update yet. And like PMIKEP, after the first patch.

Andy W let us know how you like the color feature. My camera, if I pay no attention, will sometimes shift white balance. Wonder if that feature would help.

360 has me puzzled too, I watched some youtube samples and you only see less than half of the video and don't know what you are missing. Unless you have a 360 degree projector.
Even in 4K the video looks poor because the potential 8 million pixels are spread over the entire 360 degrees including top and bottom. Looks to me like an other 3D fad.

But it can be very useful in still pictures.

Tony, I am surprised that you have not asked tor UHD burning, no interest or not a viable format for hobbyists?

I wish CL would not wait a year for upgrades, but have a new version when something new is available as some competitors do.

And inlude pasting and a dictionary.

Happy editing

Eugene

Wish all those not interested in 360 would clamor for my pet pewee..

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 24. 2017 16:53

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Regarding the request for burning software: He's where I'm coming from. While I realize there can be an advantage to an On-Screen menuing system, I started by simply copying produced mp4's to DVD. (I mostly record old noir movies off the air, edit out the commercials and watch at leisure.) Not burning as a DVD saves a step.

Then, after getting tired of listenimg to the the Blu-rau/DVD set top box thrashing, and finding out it had a USB port, it occured to me it would be faster - and cheaper - to simply copy mp4's to a USB flash drive. Then I had one more brainstorm/wave and took a spare Pi, loaded OpenElec on it, and use an old Passport 1TB spinning drive to feed a kodi-like box.

So no need for bulky DVD's. While I did snail mail a few DVD's of our Eclipse Experience to others (again, just mp4's), it was far easier to upload the videos to the net and simply send URLs to others.

Even Netflix stopped sending out discs.

I've never tried burning a playable DVD (let alone a Blu-Ray disc). Even if I made a professional DVD, users just aren't equipped to play them easily anymore. (Say, at a business meeting. Can't play on their tablet/phone.) Best case, they have to bring home, fire up the TV and player, sit down and watch. So even if CL made it easy to make UHD Blu-ray, would there be an audience to watch? (Rhetorical.)
Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
Even Netflix stopped sending out discs.

They did? I just got one in the mail yesterday! Maybe this is outside the US? (I'm in the US).

Russell1967
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, okay, maybe "stopped" was too strong a word. (Am not a Netflix subscriber.) But I thought that they moved the majority of their business to digital delivery years ago.

It would be interesting to know the sales stats for Blu-ray players. Especially in this age of Smart TV's, Roku, etc.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Personally, I don't stream at all. The quality just isn't there for me. I pay too much for cable as is. Why pay for streaming too? I do have Amazon Prime for the free 2 day shipping. Most of their streaming videos look like 1960s well used VCR tape quality.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I think I have to side with Tony in this area. We see lots of "complaints" about too many bells and whistles (whatever that means to each of us) and yet some of us are disappointed by the lack of new features we want. Like many, I don't use anything to do with 360 but it's out there so .......

I take the view that each of us can assess the merits of the latest offering and invest, or not, accordingly. To debate personal preferences is sort of interesting but quite often just results in an agreement to differ. Personally, I would NEVER buy a straight red car, hate them, don't like the colour, it fades etc. etc. but there are a shedload of red cars sold every year, I can't understand it but.....

My experience with PDR16 to date, which is only a few days obviously, is that there a some things of interest (to me) I like the ability to grab the volume band of a clip and raise it up or down, pressing ctrl gives the usual keyframe point insertion, wish the opacity band behaved the same but maybe later??

I haven't explored the latest CLUT, color handling or edge enhancements but I have a dive video to do after the current wedding video so I'll see.

My impression is that PDR16 is a bit quicker loading and a bit quicker overall, but I haven't tested that quantitatively.

The video collage designer follows the previous designer themes, some nice touches but strictly limited in the "design" element, but great for a quick and effective collage.

Haven't come across any problems yet, but it's only a few days so we shall see.

So, whilst I respect the opinion of other members, I find it difficult to participate in a post that just says "Not worth updating" or "who cares about a, b, or c..." because, without any decent reasoning to give any context, it's just personal preference at the end of the day - like the red car!!!!

I'll keep my head down now.

Adrian.
Tomas G77
[Post New]
Quote I think I have to side with Tony in this area. We see lots of "complaints" about too many bells and whistles (whatever that means to each of us) and yet some of us are disappointed by the lack of new features we want. Like many, I don't use anything to do with 360 but it's out there so .......

I take the view that each of us can assess the merits of the latest offering and invest, or not, accordingly. To debate personal preferences is sort of interesting but quite often just results in an agreement to differ. Personally, I would NEVER buy a straight red car, hate them, don't like the colour, it fades etc. etc. but there are a shedload of red cars sold every year, I can't understand it but.....

My experience with PDR16 to date, which is only a few days obviously, is that there a some things of interest (to me) I like the ability to grab the volume band of a clip and raise it up or down, pressing ctrl gives the usual keyframe point insertion, wish the opacity band behaved the same but maybe later??

I haven't explored the latest CLUT, color handling or edge enhancements but I have a dive video to do after the current wedding video so I'll see.

My impression is that PDR16 is a bit quicker loading and a bit quicker overall, but I haven't tested that quantitatively.

The video collage designer follows the previous designer themes, some nice touches but strictly limited in the "design" element, but great for a quick and effective collage.

Haven't come across any problems yet, but it's only a few days so we shall see.

So, whilst I respect the opinion of other members, I find it difficult to participate in a post that just says "Not worth updating" or "who cares about a, b, or c..." because, without any decent reasoning to give any context, it's just personal preference at the end of the day - like the red car!!!!

I'll keep my head down now.

Adrian.

BUT you did participate and all opinions are welcome

including yours,

Thank you to all whom replied and mad a lot of valid points

just proves a point this should have been an upgrade say 15.5

and Cyberlink should have taken ther time to make some decent improvements and fix the bugs that are still present

but I suppose its all about monies they want your monies but dont want to do a lot to get it as version 16 proves my point

with the response this thread got then i need say no more ??

no 4K video burning in PowerDirector 16.
No Titler Pro supported platforms
no Chapters, If producing MKV H. 264

there's a lot more that could have been fixed,

but this version put out with no thought for the customers only greed for your monies

Tom G Scotland

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2017 08:49

Russell1967
[Post New]
Quote Well, okay, maybe "stopped" was too strong a word. (Am not a Netflix subscriber.) But I thought that they moved the majority of their business to digital delivery years ago.

It would be interesting to know the sales stats for Blu-ray players. Especially in this age of Smart TV's, Roku, etc.

Well, for sure, the majority of their sales are through the streaming service. But - until they can really perfect the streaming protocol - it's still hard to match the quality of an actual blu-ray. The standard h.265 comes even closer, but side-by-side it's not quite there...at least on a big monitor or TV. On a mobile device it's not nearly as noticeable, and that's where most people are streaming from. So, you're probably right that eventually it will almost all be streaming (I imagine that some people, like myself, still will be willing to pay extra for the best possible quality).

Russell1967
Tomas G77
[Post New]
Quote Well, okay, maybe "stopped" was too strong a word. (Am not a Netflix subscriber.) But I thought that they moved the majority of their business to digital delivery years ago.

Well, for sure, the majority of their sales are through the streaming service. But - until they can really perfect the streaming protocol - it's still hard to match the quality of an actual blu-ray. The standard h.265 comes even closer, but side-by-side it's not quite there...at least on a big monitor or TV. On a mobile device it's not nearly as noticeable, and that's where most people are streaming from. So, you're probably right that eventually it will almost all be streaming (I imagine that some people, like myself, still will be willing to pay extra for the best possible quality).

Russell1967

Hi Russell 1967

i create a video file with h264 and export it as a file for my usb-3 and it plays fine i tried the h265 but it would not play on my T.V. would this not work with blu-ray i dont bother with blu-ray i dont no much abot the blu-ray so i stand to be corrected

with someone whom does have knowledge of this

Tom G Scotland
Russell1967
[Post New]
Hi Russell 1967

i create a video file with h264 and export it as a file for my usb-3 and it plays fine i tried the h265 but it would not play on my T.V. would this not work with blu-ray i dont bother with blu-ray i dont no much abot the blu-ray so i stand to be corrected

with someone whom does have knowledge of this

Tom G Scotland

Well, h.265 is not that old of a standard, so it's possible that your blu-ray player just didn't have that capability. But, I agree: I've also used the USB port on my blu-ray to play movies and it does a very nice job. Plus, you can re-use the heck out of it!

We have gone WAY off topic, so we should probably end it. Sorry, moderator.

Anyway, let's hope that PD 17 has all of the things we REALLY want!

Russell1967