Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
General advice sought re editing 3 minute video to a voice track.
Dinarius [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 07, 2014 04:29 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I have about 5 minutes of video of an artist talking about her work.

The talking will lead the visuals.

I have plenty of other footage of general views of the exhibition, in addition to close-ups of some of the works she talks about.

Basically, I want to use 3-4 minutes of her voice, cutting back and forth between the shot of her talking and shots of what she is referring to.

I know this is probably baby stuff, but I'm a newbie.

Any general advice?

Any advice on keeping her and the voice track synced when I'm cutting back to the visual of her speaking?

Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks.

D. Windows 10Pro x64; i6800k; GTX1070; 64Gb RAM; 256GB and 512GB SSDs; 2 x 4TB Storage:
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps you have something more complicated in mind but to me that sounds like straightforward overlays with some transitions maybe ove the top of a interposing frame.
Dinarius [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Perhaps you have something more complicated in mind but to me that sounds like straightforward overlays with some transitions maybe ove the top of a interposing frame.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok. Here's something I'm going to come up against throughout this little video.

I lay down, say, one minute of audio.

During that one minute, I will be cutting from the artist speaking, to shots of her work (with her off-camera), and back again to her.

Obviously, the footage of her speaking will be discarded when I'm cutting to shots of the work - though I will be preserving the audio.

Question: what is the easiest way to ensure that, when I cut back to her, I am cutting back at a point where she is in sync with the audio at that point?

If I can sort this one, the rest is pretty straightforward, I think.

Thanks again.

D. Windows 10Pro x64; i6800k; GTX1070; 64Gb RAM; 256GB and 512GB SSDs; 2 x 4TB Storage:
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
If you are using a single audio track which plays uninterrupted throughout then, the way I envisage it, the most you need to do is to fade out the video track (or transition it out in some way) by keyframing it at appropriate points. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I do tend not to be able to see past the way I've imagined things.

p.s. - you can use the same video clip in more than one track by the way if that makes things easier just unlink and delete one of the audio tracks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2017 10:46

Dinarius [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you are using a single audio track which plays uninterrupted throughout then, the way I envisage it, the most you need to do is to fade out the video track (or transition it out in some way) by keyframing it at appropriate points. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I do tend not to be able to see past the way I've imagined things.

Thanks for the reply.

I will have a continuous audio track for one minute.

I will intercut between the shots of the artwork and back to the artist speaking.

I just want to ensure that I am cutting back to her at the correct point for audio/visual syncing.

What is the most efficient way to achieve this in PD?

Thanks.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If you put the master audio and video on Track 1 of the timeline, you can then put the first visual on Track 2 where you want it to show. The video/image on Track 2 will overlay the track 1 video. You can do the same in other tracks. The higher number track appears on top of the lower number track.

You really do not have to do any fancy editing to do what you want.

Videos/images can be placed at any time on the track. (you place it where you want it to show). You can also adjust the duration.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2017 20:22

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dinarius [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you put the master audio and video on Track 1 of the timeline, you can then put the first visual on Track 2 where you want it to show. The video/image on Track 2 will overlay the track 1 video. You can do the same in other tracks. The higher number track appears on top of the lower number track.

You really do not have to do any fancy editing to do what you want.

Videos/images can be placed at any time on the track. (you place it where you want it to show). You can also adjust the duration.

Carl,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

But, that tip transformed my experience of the software.

Many thanks!