Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hyperlinks?
daddymadethis1971 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2014 18:25 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

I was wondering if I can add hyperlinks to a video I'm editing?

Thanks.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
daddymadethis1977:

So far as I know, PowerDirector does yet support the addition of hyperlinks to video productions.

If I am mistaken, I trust that someone more knowledgeable will correct me.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2017 14:27

Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So far as I know, PowerDirector does yet support the addition of hyperlinks to video productions

Phil is spot on here. Hyperlinks cannot be embedded in a video production.

On YouTube, you can add links but that may not be what you're after.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I know there is no video format that allows direct embedding of hyperlinks but I stand to be corrected on that. PDR certainly isn't able to do it.

There are quite a few ways of achieving this by other means.

The simplest that comes to mind is to upload your video to YouTube and there you can add hyperlinks by annotating your video.

If you are familiar with HTML then you can embed hyperlinks in the code that displays video in an HTML page. You can build a mini web site and write it to a CD for instance.

If you have MS Office then e.g. Powerpoint would allow you to add a hyperlink to a displayed video.

A few years ago I would have said that the best way would be to build a Flash object but that was then and Flash has been dead in the water for some time.

The most important question is how you are going to use your video i.e. how is it being distributed and how will it be displayed by your end users?

p.s. I've been trying for the last half hour to post an attachment but the forum won't respond. I'll try again without the video file I had created. If you're interested download the attached "video.html" file and put it in a temp folder along with any short mp4 video. You MUST name the video "clickit.mp4" all lowercase. Now close your web browser and double click video.html. Your video should be displayed and if you then click on the video, the link should bring you back to this post.
 Filename
video.html
[Disk]
 Description
Simple html file.
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
301 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2017 17:05

Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Quote As far as I know there.....
p.s. I've been trying for the last half hour to post an attachment but the forum won't respond. I'll try again without the video file I had created. If you're interested download the attached "video.html" file and put it in a temp folder along with any short mp4 video. You MUST name the video "clickit.mp4" all lowercase. Now close your web browser and double click video.html. Your video should be displayed and if you then click on the video, the link should bring you back to this post.

Hi longedge,

Interesting script
I did all you described but the video wasn't shown only a play button and a error message
but clicking at the error message it link back to this post

cheers, Anja
[Thumb - test_hyberlink.jpg]
 Filename
test_hyberlink.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
test result
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
32 time(s)
PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Anja,

Perhaps it was a mistake on my part to have posted that answer at all. The idea is that the ( the forum is interpreting what I want to type here which is the letter a between two angled brackets) tag is for hyperlinks in html and anything between the opening and closing tags becomes a hyperlink to the URL in the code.

There are too many possibilities to consider as to why your video didn't display smile.

p.s. - I've tried several times now to correct the formatting so I give up! If only there was an option to switch to an html view of the post undecided

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Sep 15. 2017 05:07

[Post New]
I'm guessing you've seen a website or promotional cd that let you do this...

In an earlier life designing websites for a living... And producing "Promotional cd's" for customers, I performed this feat in two ways...
Or at least gave the appearance of doing it.

I had to have a page that had 'Layers'.
Imagine having a transparent layer over the top of your video. Hence you only see the playing video.
Let this transparent layer be 'Mapped' with areas containing hyperlinks...
Now when the video is playing, any click on one of the mapped areas containg a hyperlink gives the appearance that you've clicked on the video and made it jump to another section of the site/promotional cd.
For the web - you'd have to see a web designer for a suitable template... (Browsers have changed since I did this)
For promotional cd's I used purchased software that was capable of doing this and 'producing' the cd at the end.

Both these methods are outside the scope of Power Director - which would indeed be capable of producing the 'Background' video most beautifully... (I think I was using a very early PD version back then !)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2017 09:25

Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
"I'm guessing you've seen a website or promotional cd that let you do this..."

No before I retired some years ago amongst other things I compiled, authored and duplicated CD's & DVD's for my colleagues in our local school support service and my monthly output was anywhere between 500 and 5000 discs from between 1 and 10 masters. I mostly used multimedia disc authoring software to create bespoke autorun discs.

That was in very different times before UAC and other OS protection systems locked everything down as they have now. I only build apps for myself nowadays as signing executables for distribution is too problematic.

In those days, at the simplest level you could write a mini website off onto a disc, create an executable and autorun.inf to run the home page and the job was done. That's all a thing of the past now and I'm digressing from video editing which is what this forum is about after all smile.