Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
questions about creating a menu in PD13
merlin7777777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2015 21:29 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
I want to burn 6 programmes to bluray with a simple menu that shows 6 thumbnails with text. No chapters. I have a few queries....

Is the root directory like a generic title page which doesn't show the specific programmes?

As I only need one page with the 6 thumbnails, is that the titles/chapters page?

When I choose a template to start with the little modify/apply window pops up but it shows the root menu - which is highlighted - and the titles/chapters page even though I have deselcted 'include root menu'. It won't allow me to select the titles/chapters page. I only want a titles page - how do I get rid of the root menu and chapters page? Or have I misunderstood this whole root menu thing and maybe thats the only page I need and I can put my 6 thumbnails on that? Very confused.

and, is the menu structure screen just for information? I can't see a way of changing it, such as removing the pages I don't want.

Lastly, when I save my finished template, will it automatically appear in PP6 so I can import video and burn the bluray?

I've watched a couple of video tutorials but they don't seem to cover this.

Many thanks IA
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
If the cyberlink offical menu tutorials don't help then look at this one from PD University: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRYhQw-RJgk . It should cover what you want and need to know about menus.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi merlin777777 -

Quote: As I only need one page with the 6 thumbnails, is that the titles/chapters page? When I choose a template to start with the little modify/apply window pops up but it shows the root menu - which is highlighted - and the titles/chapters page even though I have deselcted 'include root menu'. It won't allow me to select the titles/chapters page. I only want a titles page - how do I get rid of the root menu and chapters page?

You are right to deselect "Include Root Menu". Probably the simplest way to do what you're after is to:

1. import your video titles directly into the Create Disc module

2. Select an appropriate menu (with 6 buttons) - like this one - & apply it to all pages

3. Uncheck "Include Root Menu"

4. Set the playback mode e.g. Play the selected title only

Quote: Lastly, when I save my finished template, will it automatically appear in PP6 so I can import video and burn the
bluray?

No - that doesn't always happen. Here, only a small number of my custom menus appear in the PP6 Menu options. What you can do, convoluted as it may seem, is upload your custom menu to DZ, then download it from PP6.

Question: Why bother with PP6 when you can create your disc in PDR15?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Screen capture showing the steps above:

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
merlin7777777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Screen capture showing the steps above:

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for your help, Tony.

The reason I wasn't going to use PD is that I didn't realise it could do it!

Media suite has a bewildering number of functions and I didn't realise there was so much crossover bewteen apps. Someone told me to burn blurays using PP6 and it didn't occur to me that PD might be able to do it too....
merlin7777777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK - I was having trouble with my BD burner only to discover my internal optical drive isn't a BD burner, just DVD burner and BD reader. That's sorted now and I'm back on track!

As suggested, I'm now going to go through the whole process of menu creation and BD burning in PD13.

I am trying to create a menu with 8 items (thumnails?). However, even after watching tutorials I can't figure out how. Sometimes I'm not offered the option to change the number, sometimes I am only offered 1, sometimes I'm offered a list from 1 to 4 and sometimes from 1 to 6. I assume not all templates allow these changes but I can't find a filter to show me which templates offer what e.g. a filter for 'menu templates for 8 items' etc either in PD13 or on director zone.

I have tried modifying templates with menu designer and I can add loads of menu buttons but after I've saved them and tried to use the modified templates they don't show the extras ( e.g. template 6 has one button, I modified it and saved it to have 6 but when I apply it there is only 1 page with 3 buttons). I'm very confused.

Is there a way to display just the templates that can accomodate up to a certain number of items?

Am I doing something stupid?