Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cyberlink promotes PD15
[Post New]
I have PD14 and every time I open PD14 I get a pop-up ad that promotes PD15 saying -

"You are missing out on a smoother, faster, better......." or words very similar to that.

It certainly says "smoother."

That sounds a bit odd I thought until I started to process my new project. It was not smooth at all. It was also very slow, having to wait for all kinds of operations to take effect which had NEVER BEEN LIKE THAT BEFORE!!!!

So, we know that Cyberlink knows I have PD14 and eagerly want me to splash out another pack of dollars their way because they are telling me my experience will be oh so much better. We know that Cyberlink has access to my computer and they know which version I have and suddenly my experience of using PD14 is much worse! How come Cyberlink? It was alright before I started getting these pop-up reminders!

What is going on? Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
To suggest Cyberlink is crippling your software via internet, in an attempt to sell new product to you is a bit over-the-top. Maybe there was an update by Microsoft or some other thing went wrong. You need proof if you are going to toss accusations around. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil -

If it's any consolation to you, I (like many other forum members) have a number of different versions of PDR installed... & whenever I open PDR 14, 13, 12 (or whatever) I am prompted by the pop-up to get myself into PDR15.

It just pops up then goes away, too silly to realise I already have it. I reckon if that's the worst thing that happens in my day, it's been a good one laughing

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I doubt whether there is any 'main street' application nowadays that does not routinely 'call home'. I don't have a problem with it in fact I appreciate it if it incorporates an alert to users of available updates and bug fixes. It is an absolutely essential part of controlling software piracy which I hate with a vengeance!

Cyberlink sometimes go a little o.t.t. with their marketing pop-ups but I do recognise that they like all other software developers have a problem with maintaining an income stream. I do not like the annual releases driven more by income generation than improvement although I may be in a minority in seeing them that way.

There is absolutley no doubt in my mind that the real guilty party when things suddenly stop working as they should is Microsoft. Heaven forbid that other applications ever start updating and overwriting installed software without the owners permission as happens with the O.S.

Are you running Windows 10 by any chance Phil ? smile
[Post New]
Quote I doubt whether there is any 'main street' application nowadays that does not routinely 'call home'. I don't have a problem with it in fact I appreciate it if it incorporates an alert to users of available updates and bug fixes. It is an absolutely essential part of controlling software piracy which I hate with a vengeance!

Cyberlink sometimes go a little o.t.t. with their marketing pop-ups but I do recognise that they like all other software developers have a problem with maintaining an income stream. I do not like the annual releases driven more by income generation than improvement although I may be in a minority in seeing them that way.

There is absolutley no doubt in my mind that the real guilty party when things suddenly stop working as they should is Microsoft. Heaven forbid that other applications ever start updating and overwriting installed software without the owners permission as happens with the O.S.

Are you running Windows 10 by any chance Phil ? smile

Yes, Windows 10 but all this jittery delayed action only started today when I received another different ad telling me that this last discount offer only lasts till the end of the month.

I don't need to upgrade every time they bring out an upgraded version and can easily get by for at least two upgrades and save myself the sum of about $70 each time. Whatever they are adding on or improving will make little difference to me. Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Whatever has caused it, it won't be the ads. If you are absolutely certain of the timing, then a good place to start troubleshooting would be to check if you have a system restore point available that just predates the start of the problem. If you want further help, then it would also be a good idea to post your dxdiag results.