Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transitions not in center of clip?
Prizm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 01, 2007 09:07 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trialling PD15 and come across something odd.

If I apply a transition to a clip or image, the transition is not centered relative to the clip. It's always anchored to the center of the entire video instead.

Below, the top-left image is the Clock Wipe, and the bottom-right image is Wormhole Wipe. I couldn't find any settings to fix this problem:

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I do not know what you mean by
If I apply a transition to a clip or image, the transition is not centered
relative to the clip. It's always anchored to the center of the entire video instead.

I have applied two separate transitions to separate images/clips. I have included the pds file. (it may work for you)

Filename
Transition test2.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Transition works on each clip.
 Filesize
7132 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
361 time(s)
 Filename
transition test.pds
[Disk]
 Description
The pds file, wipe clock was downloaded from director zone.
 Filesize
872 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
365 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
PDR is workspace oriented i.e. say you have a 16:9 project, then everything you put on the timeline is maximised and centred to the full workspace. To do what you want, I would split it into stages and prepare each of the components separately then put the whole thing together. By doing this your wipes/fades would be centred on each component and not on the background. Difficult to put into words but the attachment may show what I mean. I created the two videos separately and then dropped them onto the background and re-sized them.

Screenshot
[Thumb - screenshot.jpg]
 Filename
screenshot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
A screenshot from the final video.
 Filesize
429 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
110 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 22. 2017 16:08

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Prizm -

Longedge is onto it again!

What you've come across is a long standing "glitch" (for want of a better word) that makes some transitions act on the whole screen, rather than on a resized PiP element. If you'd used a simple fade, for example, the issue wouldn't occur.

In this thread, you'll find some demo videos and a PDF file listing all the culprit transitions.

What you're getting is shown in the top pic below, with both transitions centred on the red dot (i.e. centre of screen).

What you're after (as Longedge posted) is for the transition to act only on the PiP element, shown in the bottom pic below. With those transitions, that can only be achieved by pre-producing.

Cheers - Tony

Whoops! FAKE NEWS ALERT! I've just noticed the PDF file in that other thread is not completely true for PDR15. That's probably related to the slightly different transparency behaviour in PDR15 compared to previous versions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 22. 2017 16:35

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Prizm -

I was a bit off the mark with my previous post. I linked to a thread where the concern was that the transition affected not only the PiP element, but the background.

Your question was about the transition not being centred on the PiP element. Many of the transitions in PDR are based on a central axis (e.g. Worm Hole). If the PiP element is placed in the centre of the screen, no problem. If it's placed off-centre, as yours are, the transition is not centred on the element, because it's acting on the whole screen.

The attached (updated for PDR15, just before PDR16 is released) PDF explains further.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Transitions in PiP PDR 15.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
615 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
426 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 26. 2017 15:28

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Prizm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 01, 2007 09:07 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for all the replies! I wouldn't want to create a separate video for each PIP transition... too much hassle and you'd lose quality by rendering, importing, then rendering again (and you'd lose transparency). Sounds like it's just one of those quirks.

thanks
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know how much hassle it would be, that's a personal decision but quality shouldn't suffer and transparency could be applied by chroma keying.

I'm an inveterate d.i.y'er and never think to use presets & templates. If there's a problem or I don't immediately see how something can be done, I do like to break it down into manageable chunks but this does lead me to miss the native solutions sometimes. I always think that there is not only one way to achieve what you're after.