Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Color Casting When Adding JPEG
[Post New]
I added some simple JPEG files as either backgrounds to title slides or as just slides outside of titles and I'm getting what appears to be a green color cast on the images. I have reprocessed the images in PhotoShop to remove any special modifications and still I see this casting.
[Thumb - Tedeton_ColorCast.jpg]
 Filename
Tedeton_ColorCast.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
255 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
23 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
106 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
304 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 16. 2017 15:55

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Craig -

I don't really have any clues about what may be causing the colour shift of JPGs in PDR. Can't recall it having been reported previously.

Looking at your DxDiag, the driver for your HD Graphics 620 is not the most recent. Even though I doubt that's the issue, you should update it. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/96551/Intel-HD-Graphics-620

Your photos are displaying properly (obviously) in Photoshop & other software. It's just in PDR you get the green cast?

Could you attach one of the images showing the problem?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote Hi Craig -

I don't really have any clues about what may be causing the colour shift of JPGs in PDR. Can't recall it having been reported previously.

Looking at your DxDiag, the driver for your HD Graphics 620 is not the most recent. Even though I doubt that's the issue, you should update it. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/96551/Intel-HD-Graphics-620

Your photos are displaying properly (obviously) in Photoshop & other software. It's just in PDR you get the green cast?

Could you attach one of the images showing the problem?

Cheers - Tony

--- The first attachment is an image of before and after.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
As with Tony's reply, it's probably not relevant to what you're seeing but you look to be having problems with McAfee AV crashing. I'd be inclined to do some rigorous virus/malware checking.

p.s. - Could you post an original .jpg rather than a screenshot of the image displayed in Irfanview.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 16. 2017 17:09

[Post New]
Quote As with Tony's reply, it's probably not relevant to what you're seeing but you look to be having problems with McAfee AV crashing. I'd be inclined to do some rigorous virus/malware checking.

p.s. - Could you post an original .jpg rather than a screenshot of the image displayed in Irfanview.

--------------------------

I just saw what I believe you are looking for by getting the original JPEG. When looking at the image in PhotoShop, MS Paint, Windows Image Preview, Windows Exporer(View -> Large Icons) I get different views of the shot. In Windows Preview, Windows Explorer, and PhotoShop the image looks as expected. However, in MS Paint I see that same green cast.

So it appears the issue is somehwere other than PD, unless PD shares some Windows files for rendering images. ??
[Thumb - DSC_2958.JPG]
 Filename
DSC_2958.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
9966 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
25 time(s)
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tink this is something specific to your system. I've tried dropping the image onto the timeline. It doesn't display any colour cast that I can see either in preview or if I produce it to an mp4. The same holds true when I create a test title and use it as the title background.

p.s. - I don't see any change in colour if I open it in MSPaint either.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 16. 2017 17:52

[Post New]
Quote I tink this is something specific to your system. I've tried dropping the image onto the timeline. It doesn't display any colour cast that I can see either in preview or if I produce it to an mp4. The same holds true when I create a test title and use it as the title background.

p.s. - I don't see any change in colour if I open it in MSPaint either.

---------------------------------------------------------

Great! This should be "fun" to track down. :
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Craig & Longedge -

I've found some inconsistencies, but not sure what they indicate. Before testing I re-calibrated my monitor.

Craig's photo DSC_2958.JPG displays "accurately" in various photo editing software I tried. It does appear to have a green cast in 1. PDR15, 2. Paint.NET & 3. MS Paint. You'll see that in the zipped attachment of screenshot.

I'll do the same test with a similarly coloured shot of my own.

BTW, JPEG Snoop indicates the photo has been edited in Photoshop. Not sure if that's relevant.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Craig Photo.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
15865 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
127 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 17. 2017 02:31

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
When you edit images in PHotoshop, are you saving the image with the color profile? Most app use the sRGB standard and I know there is an AdobeRGB profile. Looks like PD15 doesn't know how to handle the AdobeRGB inbedded in the JPG file.

As a test, I loaded you image along with several of my own directly from my camera that uses sRGB. My images are fine, but your image definitely has a color shift.

Open the image again in Photoshop and save a copy with sRGB. Try that copy in PD15 Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
ynotfish
[Post New]
I'd agree with Gary on that. That seems to be the issue.

I tested photos directly off Nikon D5300 & there was no noticeable colour difference in all software previously tested.

JPEG Snoop identifies the Colour Space in my photos as sRGB, but describes yours as "Uncalibrated". The log is attached.

Craig - check whether you get the same issue with photos directly from your D750.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
DSC_2958.JPG.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
246 time(s)

Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
This sadly re-affirms my suspicion that the years have taken their toll on my senses. I knew my hearing was shot and kept trying to convince myself that my eyesight was still OK. Good job guys and a very interesting thread.
[Post New]
Quote This sadly re-affirms my suspicion that the years have taken their toll on my senses. I knew my hearing was shot and kept trying to convince myself that my eyesight was still OK. Good job guys and a very interesting thread.

-------------------------------

Thanks for digging into this one so well. I will look at the color space and other details today.
[Post New]
Quote This sadly re-affirms my suspicion that the years have taken their toll on my senses. I knew my hearing was shot and kept trying to convince myself that my eyesight was still OK. Good job guys and a very interesting thread.

-------------------------------

Thanks for digging into this one so well. I will look at the color space and other details today.

The fix was more simple than anticipated. Everything was fine with my D750, colorspace, etc. But I checked the JPG handling in PhotoShop and discovered a default option that caused this issue.

In PS, under Preferences >> Export >> Color Space >> 'Convert to sRGB' was enabled. I disabled, and exported the image again and it is better. Still seems to be an inconsistency with this fix, as I repeated this process with another image it did not fix the issue.

Will keep digging....Thanks!!
[Thumb - CastingFix.jpg]
 Filename
CastingFix.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
17 time(s)
[Thumb - DSC_2958.JPG]
 Filename
DSC_2958.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12220 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
22 time(s)
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
The exif info in the image that you last uploaded shows "ColorSpace - Uncalibrated/Unknown (-1)" just like the first one. All of my own images that I have checked show "sRGB". What if you use the image directly rather than putting it through Photoshop?
[Post New]
Quote The exif info in the image that you last uploaded shows "ColorSpace - Uncalibrated/Unknown (-1)" just like the first one. All of my own images that I have checked show "sRGB". What if you use the image directly rather than putting it through Photoshop?

-------------------------------------

Direct image worked correctly. No color changes noted and I see the EXIF shows sRGB. Must be a PhotoShop/colorspace (dumb user) issue.
[Post New]
Quote The exif info in the image that you last uploaded shows "ColorSpace - Uncalibrated/Unknown (-1)" just like the first one. All of my own images that I have checked show "sRGB". What if you use the image directly rather than putting it through Photoshop?

-------------------------------------

Direct image worked correctly. No color changes noted and I see the EXIF shows sRGB. Must be a PhotoShop/colorspace (dumb user) issue.

---------------------------------------------------

Finally found the issue. In the PhotoShop Save As dialogue, the ICC Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 box was not checked. So it was "stripping" the import profile(sRGB) and not using the workspace profile(sRGB).