Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Eclipse question
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will be in Carbondale, Illinois on Monday to take pictures of the solar eclipse. I envision taking pictures over the course of an hour and am looking for guidance / past experience with creating a time lapse in PowerDirector. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it better to create a time lapse using JPEG or RAW images as the base images?

2. The transition from daytime to night time is quite stark. Any recommendations on ISO/f-stop etc... is welcome. I plan to take the solar filter off during the 2:40 during the total solar eclipse and then put it back on. My concern is the images being underexposed or overexposed.

Thanks,

Bob
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
This is something that I've been playing around with recently and I've found that the most crtitical thing (if you want to end up with a 'smooth' video) is the delay you choose between individual images. I'm finding that it very much depends on what you are photographing and I've arrived at a rule of thumb - 2-3 seconds delay for relatively fast moving subjects, 10-30 seconds for slower such as slow clouds on a still day and I haven't got as far as the likes of plants yet.

For my experiments I've set my camera to take still photos at 1920x1080 and to record a series of 1000 images. Auto exposure over the whole frame and auto focus. I chose 1000 off the top of my head, and that number gave me just over 2 hours worth of shots yesterday although I suppose the math is easy enough if I get more serious about it. My camera and computer handled that number very easily in fact I was surprised how quickly PDR imported and dealt with a thousand images.

I'm quite enjoying playing around but up to now everything I've done has been erased again after I viewed it. My conclusion is practice, practice and more practice well beforehand smile.
Frankster69 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 13, 2017 13:32 Messages: 68 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Hanson,

As to the first question, I would say shoot in RAW anytime. It gives you far greater control over the outcome. If you would use RAW or jpg in PowerDirector depends. I never used RAW photo material, so I wouldn't know too much. I know PD can import RAW files, I don't know how much control it gives you in manipulating them. In any case RAW gives you more flexibility to (if needed) create better jpg's for use in PD.

As to the technical side of actually capturing it with a photocamera, the link below leads to an extensive tutorial on how to best capture them. It's from 1999, so it deals with film and not digital images, but many of it that involves f stops, shutterspeeds and the like still holds up today. It's on a website dedicated to eclipses so you might find more useful info there:

http://www.mreclipse.com/Totality2/TotalityCh12-1.html

You may also want to consider using a videocamera capable of timelapse recording if you have one. Or use both a photo- and videocam if possible.

Sadly I live across the Atlantic so it won't be visible here.

Last peace of advice: In addition to making the shoot, don't forget to also enjoy the event itself

regards, Frank
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob -

I'd agree with Frank's suggestion to shoot in RAW (or both concurrently). You'd want to process the RAW photos in a photo editor prior to PDR import. PDR just converts RAW to JPG anyway.

It's quite an involved thing shooting an eclipse from what I've read & heard (I've never done it). A couple of links that might help:

https://digital-photography-school.com/how-photograph-solar-eclipse/

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/how-to-photograph-a-solar-eclipse.html

https://eclipse.aas.org/imaging-video/images-videos

Longedge's conclusion about PRACTICE is vital, since you'll only get one shot at it on the day!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!