Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 8 - No SPDIF sound and crashes on certain Blu-rays
Marcel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 08, 2007 17:13 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

Since Cyberlink has been ignoring my support query I thought I'd ask around here. I have both PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra and 8 Ultra. I haven't used them in a while, but recently when I wanted to play two new Blu-Ray discs I encountered the following issues:

Changeling: The intro plays fine and then the screen with the different languages appears, which is the end for PowerDVD. It freezes and I have to kill it with Task Manager. There is no sound (but I don't know if there should be any at that stage)

Other Blu-Ray discs and DVDs: I get a picture, but no sound over SPDIF. It always used to work and the normal Vista sound works as normal via SPDIF. If I switch to 2 speakers (or 6) the darn thing crashes, when I then restart it I hear sound over the speakers, but not SPDIF.

I have an X-Fi Platinum sound card with Dolby Digital Live. Switching that on/off doesn't make any difference. It would be impossible to identify which programmes I've installed since it last worked, I have uninstalled it, re-installed it, updated all drivers, firmwarews, etc. but I cannot get any sound out of SPDIF. After many years of PowerDVD I'm getting very tempted to try out Arcoft's TMT as this thing is driving me bonkers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Jack [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2008 13:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, kindred spirit ~

Power DVD is a nice product gone wild. "Pow" DVD 8.0 is a lame horse for more than a few of us. So isn't 9.0 from what I see on their own Forum. But worse than that, my top Internet Security program (Kaspersky) has repeatedly detected/warned me of a virus tracker in this Power DVD v 8.0. I wrote down the name if you want.

The program crashed and was difficult to delete this Kaspersky target file.
Kaspersky walked me through same.

I have heard more than a few similar complaints. I even informed Cyberlink to no affect.
Worse than all that.... they won't replace the porgram I paid for and downloaded or delivered the DVD I requested and never received. Even won't resend the infected software!... unless I pay another $49.00.

SALES is saying it was a compllaint not files within 30 days of purchase. (documented again to be False statement. Their communication in "our" Gold Membership site show it was 2 weeks compllained about the glitch file they attach in the download (tracking file).

Today I'm out $46 and 19+ request for help and what happened to the Power DVD 8.0 disc they agreed to mail? My advice to you is give it up and go elsewhere. The company is slack-sloppy and seems to dislike even Gold Members with a civil request for costless refund or replacement.

Hard to believe isn't it. FTC and Attorney General office may pay attention after some bad business practice fumigation.