Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power DVD 9 won't activate no matter what I do.
Richard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 03, 2009 07:41 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I'v paid for Power DVD 9 standard and couldn't activate it at all, and when I loaded it, only the activate box came up, and not the actual Power DVD software didn't start, and will not start no matter what I do. The CD key doesn't work, and i've uninstalled it, tried it again and again and again. So I upgraded to the deluxe version and have the same problems. The CD ket doesn't work and cant get the software to even open. Only the actiavte box comes up.

Anywayone got any ideas because if I cant get it activated then i'm just gonna have to get paypal to give me a full refund, because i'm not continuing with this level of stress, I feel ill.
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2009 22:32 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
did you download the correct version? Not the trial version ?
Richard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep, I used the serial number/key that was in my confirmation email in my inbox and on my order on the cyberlink website.
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
Contact support.
They will provide other build.
Richard [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've finally got it activated. What a f**king nightmare. Its a pretty crap piece of software really because i'm having other problems like picture but no audio, audio and no picture, crackling sounds. I know its not my audio interface because it works flawlessly with everything else. So I have to say that the Power DVD software is definately not worth the money it sells for. No way. Its too jittery.
pdwul [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2008 01:56 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hello to you,

Do you remember what you did to get it working ?

I uninstalled the software half a dozen of times, also using a uninstaller.
Rebooting in between. Either it does not activate (invalid activation key) or it tells me that the product has already been activated.

Have sent them an e-mail, but don't expect any reply within a week.

So, maybe you still remember the tricked that helped you out?

thanks

and yes, I used the version downloaded when orderering,
==
Richard [Avatar]
[Post New]
The software is just way too jittery. I opened the software and the only box that came up was the activation box, no cinema kind of screen behind it all all like what appears when you start the software when its working properly. So I closed it. Then I opened it again and still only the activation box appeared. Each time, I entered the product key, and it wouldn't accept it. I opened the software and entered the product key about 10 or 12 times. So I downloaded it again and tried it again, with no luck. The same thing happened time after time of opening the software. So then after trying a total of about 20 times, suddenly when it opened, the screen background came up and so I entered the product key and it worked.

This tells me that the software is very jittery or has bigs that need fixing. Anyway, in total, it took me 3 hours of continuous stress to finally get it to work, well install anyway. I still get problems with no audio, or audio and no picture. I have to say that even the ultra version I have is only worth about £15, no more. Its way to temperemental and just causes more stress than its worth.

I mean the top version sells for about £90 which is rediculous considering you can buy a Panasonic DMP-BD35 blu ray dvd player for only £180 and thats an awesome bit of kit which absolutely no problems at all and breathtaking picture and sound quality. It makes the whole Cyberlink Power DVD software just look like its a crappy free give away piece of sh*t software. And thats not down to my audio interface and graphics card because i've got a 24bit/192khz studio quality audio interface and N-Vidia powerful and 5 star graphics card.

I'm very unpleased with the Power DVD software and wont ever be buying another single piece of Cyberlink software ever again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2009 05:27

Abbas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 10, 2009 22:10 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
All powerdvd patches are infected with P"Packer RLP.D" virus!!
pdwul [Avatar]
[Post New]

This is all very bad and disappointing news, to be honest. All in all with taxes I paid some usd.110 for software that is not working.

I'll give them a few days to come up with a solution, else I'll ask them to refund me my money.

Likely there are other players that can do at least the same.

==
Richard [Avatar]
[Post New]
A virus? Well them idiots are cyberlink better sort that out then. I took iot in good faith that the cyberlink software is good but its totally awful. A total waste of money. I'll be buying a panasonis blu ray dvd olayer soon. The playback qyality of cyberlink software, although better than realplayer and windows media player, is absolutely crap. The picture is full of digital noise. Youd think that software would be better because if you've got a decent graphics card like I have and your pc is powerful like mine is, it should be better picture quality than a stand alone dvd player but the cyberlink software doesn't even come close to picture quality and reliablility of a stand alone dvd player.
pdwul [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't know about the virus. My Kasperskey Internet Suite (2009) did not report any virus.

From your point of view, what IS good playback software then ?
Actually, I assumed that PowerDVD is top of the bill, with maybe one or two others with about the same quality.

I have received a very detailed procedure by mail and a new PowerDVD version will give it a try to install it within the next few hours.

Let see
==
Richard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well from banners on various sites, thye cyberlink power dvd software is supposed to be the best dvd playback software available by a mile. So I would think that if thats true then any other software is absolutely dreadful because power dvd is crap itself. I've always been a believer in hardware over software, but this time I gave the power dvd software a chance, and proved that I was right, hardware annihilates software in every single way possible.
pdwul [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello again,
They gave me a step-by-step instruction, 2 pages in a printout, with 4 reboots in between. Also they gave a me a link with another built of PowerDVD9 (which was 245MB whereas the one I downloaded immy after the purchase was 123MB).
All services to be disabled, then everything to be uninstalled, deleting registry-keys, etc.

Anyway, in the end everything worked out fine.
I did make comment that the program, when installing, should take care of this itself. Endusers are not expected to go and delete registry keys.
Hope I don't need to go thru all this again, once I need to reinstall PowerDVD again (e.g. at a fresh windows-install).

==
Richard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thats just absolutely stupid and it just shows how much hassle the software is and shows another reason why its not even worth the price of a cup of coffee. It should be given away free.
pdwul [Avatar]
[Post New]
By the way: before _you_ started of to install PowerDVD9, did you have another version of PowerDVD installed?
I did, I had v.7

I am not sure, but think that a installed previous version may be causing the conflict. Assume that a straightforward uninstall of the previous version is not sufficient. I ran YourUninstaller, which is one of the best un-installers, to uninstall v.7 but one way or the other even thát was not good enough.Although, whilst writing this, I donot remember having rebooted my pc after the uninstall, which seems to be necessary.

Maybe an install on a clean system does nót pose such problems.

Anyway, apart from the activation/installation problems, my first impression is that it looks really slick.
About the same price as WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-Ray.
=
Richard [Avatar]
[Post New]
I uninstalled the previous trial version, then went into the registry deleting every single cyberlink file so there was no trace. Then I checked for hidden files so my paid for delux version was fresh. Its just a useless piece of software thats not worth even £5 and thats the bottom line.
Jack [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2008 13:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Long time since I ever spoke-up to Cyberlink Management but it has to be said. I was bilked of a purchase of a Power DVD ver 8.0 and tried for a month and a half to have a download of what I purchased after a computer glitch. My optional request for a refund due to lack of support was also ignored.

Two weeks into the request Cyberlink said you have to pay for what I had already bought..t again. They (falsely0 claimed I didn't make the request within the month's limited time.

A second commission over a "special" customer service seemed evident.
A purported manager said (have e-mail) they were sending a hard copy of the program to cure the matter. Again they ignored the statement six to seven weeks to date.

Look at all the version 9.0 problems. That's the tip of the berg. The customer service would be better called the laugh-line. I will post this warning on what borders on deceptive business practice.

I have never witnessed such low self respect crew found among the hungry marketing tribe. I hope you Buyers take care.