Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Format and country code for Australia
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
I'm in the USA and will be making 8 DVDs about my trip to Australia and New Zealand. My tour guide down under asked for a copy. What do I do to convert my finished project to one set of DVDs that play down under on their equipment? Bill Seifert
HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-2022
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You probably don’t need to do anything different. The ntsc format disc can be played by most pal dvd players according to this article: http://www.ebay.com/gds/DVD-REGIONS-PAL-NTSC-FORMATS-A-GUIDE-BY-RAINBOWTRAX-/10000000008557328/g.html .

You can create a pal dvd with PD15 by first changing the settings in Preferences/General.
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You probably don’t need to do anything different. The ntsc format disc can be played by most pal dvd players according to this article: http://www.ebay.com/gds/DVD-REGIONS-PAL-NTSC-FORMATS-A-GUIDE-BY-RAINBOWTRAX-/10000000008557328/g.html .

You can create a pal dvd with PD15 by first changing the settings in Preferences/General.

OK, I understand the PAL. But there is the difference in country code. I'm reluctant to change the default country code on my PC for fear of running out of the quantity of changes - I think 5 is the max. I create many shows for the USA and could easily go to the limit as i switch to that for Australia-New Zealand. If this is a problem, how do I deal with this? Surely there is another way.

I'm asking how the person will view the DVD in Australia. It makes a difference if it's on a player and TV, versus just on a PC, if I understand this correctly.

I need more assurance and guidance.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Creating a dvd with a consumer level editor has nothing to do with the region code as PD15 don’t use them.

You are concerned with playing commercial region coded dvd’s which is another matter. Relax. Lighten up.
Nighthawk [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Dunedin, NZ Joined: Apr 09, 2015 04:27 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Creating a dvd with a consumer level editor has nothing to do with the region code as PD15 don’t use them.

You are concerned with playing commercial region coded dvd’s which is another matter. Relax. Lighten up.

Pretty sure this is correct the only thing you need to ensure is that it is PAL not NTSC

Most people play DVD's now on their computer... (DVD's as such are a dying thing) heck if you are that worried, and if they are just videos export them to MP4 and stick them on a disk as a MP4

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 02. 2017 05:35

Nighthawk Music : Wacky Wood Works
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Creating a dvd with a consumer level editor has nothing to do with the region code as PD15 don’t use them.

Pretty sure this is correct the only thing you need to ensure is that it is PAL not NTSC

Most people play DVD's now on their computer... (DVD's as such are a dying thing) heck if you are that worried, and if they are just videos export them to MP4 and stick them on a disk as a MP4

Thanks for the comments.

I just have to do some serious planning to provide the correct format to my New Zealand friend. I've created 100s of hour-long DVDs of my world and Arizona back country travels for my voluntary "Armchair Travels" shows at senior centers. They all have DVD players and large-screen HDTVs, have huge libraries of their own movies on DVD, and are not likely to replace with newer technology you suggest. Will DVD players also play MP4? My tour-director friend in New Zealand wants to use my DVDs in a similar manner. Will PAL be needed in playing MP4? In either case, apparetnly I have to re-render all my projects in PAL - that's a lot of rendering. You've convinced me that Country Code is not an issue. But I will confirm that with a test DVD.

Any other comments or suggestions?

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM