Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multicam without using the multicam plugin...
[Post New]
Sounds absurd, but please bear with me...

I've tried to make some band videos which are fairly simple couple of angle shots, fading between them every so often, all linked into some better produced recordings from the mixer as opposed to the camera audio...

Here is one I prepared earlier - https://youtu.be/QTt8ufVqfTw

Now this was ok for the one snippet, but I had a whole hour long set to produce. And for each video it meant dragging in the videos, audio, sync by audio, pick angles, produce. Then I can't re-use the multicam. It would appear I need to start over.

I have managed to produce a video with three angles on three tracks, but fading between them is just a royal pain in the arse!

I will openly admit, I don't have a tonne of experience editing video, but if there was a way to have a few tracks and change angles every so often, that would suit me!!! You could argue it's a little lazy, but it would do!

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi terryt063 -

I think you're doing pretty well with what you're doing. There's a fair bit of fiddly work in multi-cam, as you know. I'm no expert so I stick to a few basic ideas.

Recently I bought myself a hydraulic log splitter (that's by the by) from a local tool shop. Anyhow, I scored a decent discount by offering to make a video of the thing to be played in-store. You could argue that that's not as much fun as capturing a band in full flight laughing

After the filming I dropped the 3 clips in the timeline - had to sync visually because the sound of a log splitter at work doesn't give you many clues.

Next I went through a split all the clips at points where I wanted to switch cameras or do a split screen/PiP insert. See attached screenshot "MultiCam Base". I saved that project without any further editing.

In the "MultiCam1" screenshot, you can see all I've done is switch between clips by removing segments I didn't want. Audio tracks disabled, except master audio track.

In the "MultiCam2" screenshot, I did a mixture of camera switching & split screens.

I usually avoid using transitions for this kind of thing. 2 reasons: 1. it's a lot more mucking round & 2. it's a bit of a distraction. The other problem is, you're almost forced to use cross-type transitions to avoid sync issues... and they have their own *problems. For a more arty piece, I'd probably use them.

In the video you linked there are some hiccups at some transition points. e.g. at ~0:30 where it switches from the drummer/singer back to the wide side view, there's a short pause (no movement). So, if I were going to offer any "pointers" (as requested), I'd say leave out the transitions.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - MultiCam Base.png]
 Filename
MultiCam Base.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1170 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
54 time(s)
[Thumb - MultiCam2.png]
 Filename
MultiCam2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
967 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
54 time(s)
[Thumb - MultiCam1.png]
 Filename
MultiCam1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
824 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
52 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 27. 2017 22:24

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!