Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can ActionDirector stitch single and dual fisheye footage?
Frankster69 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 13, 2017 13:32 Messages: 68 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I have a Panoview 360 single lens and a LG 360 Cam with dual lenses and am about to get a Kodak Orbit360. All of them come with their own stitching software. I would like to centralise things and consider buying ActionDirector 2.

Now I know the Gear 360 ActionDirector can import dual fisheye from the Gear 360 and stitch that. But can the regular Cyberlink ActionDirector also do that or is it just the modified Samsung ActionDirector that can do that?

Can it handle various different camera's, like the ones I mentioned? And handle both single lens and dual lens footage? And handle 2 single lens to 1 equirectangular stitching (don't know what the Kodak spits out yet)?

I just downloaded the trial but unfortunately the import 360 function is not available in the trial

I've got PowerDirector, ColorDirector and PhotoDirector. I'm happy to buy ActionDirector as well, but only if it can do this.

Any advice anyone?

regards, Frank

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 23. 2017 21:28

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frank -

That's odd. I have the trial version of ActionDirector2 & I'm able to import 360° videos (even unstitched ones). You obviously selected "360 Editor" at the opening screen, right?

As far as I understand it, ActionDirector2 is not equipped to handle stitching. It's aimed more at Action cams than specifically 360, though it handles pre-stitched 360° videos.

According to the specifications it will import any 360 videos in H.264 MP4 (equrectangular). In that way it would be useful for editing your stitched clips... but you already have PDR (15?), so it may be superfluous.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Frankster69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Ynotfish

Yours does?? Well I can't get it (the trial version) to import either stitched or unstitched 360 footage. It throws a feature not supported message if I try. Check the screenshot... And yes, correct: I did select the 360 editor

I still very much would like to know if ActionDirector can stitch? Seems strange that the Gear 360 version can, but the regular version cannot. It DOES say it can do end-to-end 360 editing...

I indeed have PD 15 so it's not for the editing that I would want ActionDirector, it's really for the stitching.

Cyberlink is already 'up there', but that feature would really make it unique among the current editors.

regards, Frank
[Thumb - feature-notsupported.jpg]
 Filename
feature-notsupported.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
57 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
51 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 24. 2017 07:41

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frank -

Sorry, I think I've given you a "bum steer".

Having now tested a variety of 360 clips, I do get the error message you posted... but not for every clip!

I get 3 possible responses, depending on the clip.

1. ACD won't import (the error message you showed)

2. ACD interprets as 16:9, but it still plays back in 360 mode

3. ACD imports & plays back correctly

Here's a screen capture showing the above. 3 stitched clips from 3 different cameras.

ActionDirector cannot stitch 360 videos. That is the role of the camera software. In this tutorial on the LG360, it shows using the LG 360 software to stitch. Same for other cameras.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Frankster69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thanks for trying. Yeah, I gathered as much. Frustrating that 'Gear 360 ActionDirector' can stitch and is also by Cyberlink, but their own products can't perform stitching.

I think having that ability would move Cyberlink far above the competition.

I know how to stitch my LG footage, and my Panoview footage and I already have pre-installed the program to stitch Kodak's Orbit360 footage. That's just the point: they all need their own software. It would be nice to be able to take 360 footage from any camera and stitch it in one program.

Kolor Autopano Video and Video-Stitch seem to be king of the heap, but so are their prices.

That will undoubtedly change in the future, guess I'll just have to wait a bit for that. Not holding me back, just making it all a bit more tedious

I'm having tremendous fun with the ViewDirector in PD 15 though

regards, Frank