Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
simple way to crop and save multiple mp4 files at different times for future use.
factbill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2017 17:45 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I had a detailed list of what I've tried, but the board does not allow paste.

Since I'm 72 years old and disabled, the subject will have to do.

Thanks,

Bill
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bill,

I am not 100% sure what it is you need, but here are a couple guesses and ways to do it. If I am wrong, please let me know what it is and I can update.

1. When you say "multiple MP4 files at different times", I am assuming you mean you have multiple source video files. You want these files to be edited. Possibly same file different lengths?

2. When you say "crop", do you mean you want to trim out portions, or the ends, to have a shorter versions?

If the answer is basically "Yes" to both questions, then the fastest way is to import the MP4 files one at a time. Place the file on the timeline, and then use the Trim function (scissors button above the timeline) to crop off/out the content you don't want. Then produce it to create a new file. Just make sure during production to name your project or file in a way that makes it easy to recognize that specific cropped video.

If by crop you mean to crop out the edges in video clips, then the procedure is similar, but instead of entering Trim, you click Tools > Power Tools > Crop & Zoom.

Please let me know if this helps.

Dave
factbill [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your answer. I know what you suggested, but it doesn't solve me dilema.

By looking at your avatar image, it appears that you are a Canadian like me, I'm from London.

I'm sorry that my question was so short but after taking the time to compose it (in a text editor) I found out I couldn't use cut and paste the way I have been able to use it in the past.

I was frustrated, and since I'm only able to use one hand to type, I posted a simpification of my problem.

I'm new to video editting. I come from a teaching and programming background and I'm used to being able to create 'snippets' of useful code that can be saved and re-used when needed. It seemed logical that you would be able to do something similar with PD15.

I understand that I can load many video clips into PD15 independently, crop them, then save the new clip(s) as MP4s using 'Produce'. Then, when I want to actually use the new clips, I can use 'FILE - IMPORT -MEDIA FILES' to access them. It seems like a lot of work (and a poor use of time), especially if I happen to have a lot of videos to choose from (i.e. many years of videos, thousands of files, of my grandchildren).

I also understand that I could create a project for specific groups of files (i.e. monthly, yearly, etc) where I clip the files and save the clips on the timeline. Then save each of the projects. Then I can use 'FILE - INSERT PROJECT' to combine several projects containing numerous clips.

What I don't see as logical is being able to 'CUT' a clipped video from the timeline and NOT being able to save it for future use in the 'Media Content area'.

Suppose I clip 15 seconds out of the middle of a file that I placed on the timeline and dispose of the rest (I know the whole original MP4 file is still above). Then I decided later that I actually want 17 seconds so I do it all over again, and 'CUT' the first clip. Logically, there should be a way to 'PASTE' it (somewhere for possible future use). The only solution I can come up with is to put this type of clip in a separate timeline (TRACK # 2) and 'DISABLE' the new track.

I know how to do all of these things. I just think that NOT having a method to save clips somewhere other than the timeline is counter-productive and NOT logical. There should a place to store any clips you create for possible future use.

Now that you have a full understanding of my problem, is there a solution that I haven't thought of?

Thanks,

Bill
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bill,

Yes...a fellow Canadian from Winnipeg. I've never been to London, well not that London. I've been to the other one 6 times or so!

Thanks for the additional information. To answer your question, no there is not an easier way to do it.

To understand the logic, you should understand how the non-linear editing process works behind the scenes. If you are not familiar with that term, then please have a look here for a start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_editing_system

Basically, it is "non destructive" editing. When you perform any edits on the timeline, you are not actually cutting the original file in real time. You are just "marking" the original file, telling PowerDirector what "parts" of the original file you want in your final video file. Then when you produce the file, PowerDirector checks the log of requested edits from each file, and then compiles it into a new one.

So if you were to cut content from one file and paste it on another track, you are not actually cutting a video file, you are cutting and pasting the edit log.

Hope that makes sense and can help you with the editing process going forward.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, or if I misunderstood what you want.

Dave
factbill [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for setting me straight on that Dave.

I guess I will just have to change the way I look at video editting.

I'll probably end up using a disabled track as a place to store 'clips' that I think may still be useful (even though it's really just start and finish points an not actually video clips).

Thanks, Bill