Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Smooth moving of text
aputten [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2016 02:18 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello there,

in my video I move text with the movement of a pan shot. But it is not moving smoothly. It almost looks like shock therapy. How can I smooth this out?
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello there,

in my video I move text with the movement of a pan shot. But it is not moving smoothly. It almost looks like shock therapy. How can I smooth this out?

Hi

Can you tell us what method you are using to make the text move accross the screen. For example are you using keyframes in the Title Designer.

I just put some text to move with a pan and it was very smooth. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
aputten [Avatar]
[Post New]
@The Shadowman, I indeed use keyframes. You can see it at 31sec: https://youtu.be/pZLjkj_13pM

True, the video shocks as well but as well have no idea how to improve that as well. Any ideas?
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote @The Shadowman, I indeed use keyframes. You can see it at 31sec: https://youtu.be/pZLjkj_13pM

True, the video shocks as well but as well have no idea how to improve that as well. Any ideas?

In my experience the speed of a piece of text is directly related to its stretched length on the timeline. I can give you a workaround that will slow the text down, but you will need to set it up with trial and error to get the speed you require.

Place your text block under the panning scene as you would normally, and then stretch it to the left so that the text begins on a previous clip. Now, in Title Designer, position the text to where you want it to start (this will show on the preview as on the prevoious clip). At this point using "object settings" set the transparancy to make it invisible. Now scroll through until you see the beginning of the pan scene, insert a keyframe and set the transparancy to full. Take the scrubber to the far right and duplicate the previous keyframe.

If done correctly the text will move across the screen at a slower pace. As said before, to find the speed you need will take some trial and error.

Also, if you find that the text fades in, insert a new keyframe immediately before the "full" one and duplicate the previous one

Others may know better ways to slow the text down. I'm sure they will let us know Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
aputten [Avatar]
[Post New]
@The Shadowman, if I slow down the text, will it still be in sync with pan shot?
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote @The Shadowman, if I slow down the text, will it still be in sync with pan shot?

That's what I meant about trial and error.

I'm no expert, but I think what compounds the issue is the fact that the text moves in the opposite direction to the pan, thus making it look faster than it is. Have you considered moving the text from right to left? Or perhaps static text would be an improvement on this occasion. In my honest opinion I don't think text crossing the screen is right for that scene as the pan is too short, but that's just me Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi aputten -

I'd probably lean towards Robert's advice on this & change the text motion. The video (I think) compounds the problem because of the fairly quick panning & the masses of horizontal lines in some parts.

Am I correct in assuming that the video was shot at 25fps and produced to the same framerate? Does the panning in the video play back smoothly without the text??

I used part of your video & replicated the text motion with both titles and text as a graphic, then produced to 720p @ 25fps. I also managed to replicate the jerky motion.

Using a different clip, shot at UHD 29.97fps & similar text motion, the jerky motion wasn't nearly so obvious.

It's clear why you chose to slide the text across the screen with the pan... but maybe that's just too fraught with problems.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
aputten [Avatar]
[Post New]
@The Shadowman thnx!

@ynotfish, thank you for the in depth test. The shot and produce frame rate was indeed 25fps.

I was already afraid that I asked too much from the system indeed