Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Future PowerDirector Versions - Wish List/Suggestions
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Dear PowerDirector Users,

Please use this thread to submit suggestions for future versions of PowerDirector. Suggestions can be any of the following:

- UI or usability improvements.

- program feature improvements.

- main program features*.

Note: the suggestions from the previous thread have been summarized and are being reviewed by the PowerDirector development team. The previous thread has been closed and you can view it here for reference.

This new thread has been started to try and keep things more organized. CyberLink's product development team will review the suggestions periodically. Suggestions could get implemented in either patch updates, or in the next full version of PowerDirector, depending on product development team availability and the scope of the change.

Note: do not use this thread to issue complaints or report bugs. For these, please contact customer support. Bug and complaint posts will be removed from the thread.

We want to stress that there is no guarantee that your suggestions will get implemented, but we can guarantee that product development team will review them. So please enter them below!

Please see the PowerDirector Feature Suggestions in the readme for more information.

* the planning phase for PowerDirector 16 has ended, so any new main program feature suggestions will be considered for version 17 and beyond.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 18. 2017 22:38

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
malc-c [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2017 11:51 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I'm only a casual camcorder user, and with a powerful PC for 2011 standards needed to shop around and do some testing of various video editing applications. I ended up purchasing PD15, but found a few of the features that other applications have that would be usedful in PD15 (or 16/17 etc)

The first is a seperate clip preview window, where you can select in and out points and then press an inser button to place the portion of the track between the two point into the time line. The second preview window is used to playback the timeline.

I also found that other applications had VU meters as part of the main edit window rather than in its own "room". This made adjusting / monitoring the volume easy whilst the track was previewing.

Something like this

http://micro-heli.co.uk/dream%20layout.png
[Post New]
My number 1 request is project management using tabs.

Sometimes I need to go back to an older project, maybe because I forgot how I did something, or because I can't remember how something looked like or whatever. At present, I have to close the project I'm working on, open that older project, close it and open again the one I'm working on, and so on... it's really time consuming.

I use other programs, like Anime Studio (currently known as moho), and it's pleasure to hop from one project to another by simply clicking on its tab (you can have several projects open). I can even move objects and tracks from one to another.

-------

Something that I also find really annoying is that when you're on a project, and you're using several tracks, if you do a symch by audio, the 2 tracks involved get sent to the "depths of the sea" (say they're tracks 3 and 4, they're sent to tracks 10 and 11, even if tracks 6 and 7 are empty.

I don't know why the program does this. If you only have 2 tracks, it's fine, it doesn't do it, but if you have a few of them, it does send them to the depths.

--------

Add the option to "unsplit" a track mark. Please!

---------

When you split a track, says in 2 parts, part a and b, I should be able to right click on one, say b, and silence it or hide it without having to move it to another track number in the timeline (at present you can only silence or hide full tracks). So, yeah, add the ability to manage split tracks in a more friendly way rather than having to move tracks in the timeline.

--------

sometimes sound tracks can be really short (less than a second long) so if you change the timeline view, they can be incredibly hard to find. There should be an option such as "do not shrink soundtrack icons in the time line even if they're less than a second long" in the settings somewhere.

---------

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 07. 2017 09:00

PD17 Ult, PD16Ult, PD15ult + 13ult + 12ult
Painthop X9, X7, X4, 9
Aurora 3D (!!)
Animation Shop
Flex Gif Animator
Howler 9.5 !!
Intel Core I7-479 Cpu, 3.6 Ghz, 24 Gig Ram
Windows 10. 64 bits
[Post New]
Oh, and Wil_s mentioned this:

I would like an easier way to add text...........no fancy balloons or stuff ...Just adding text and in that dialogue box have a time for how long you want it to be displayed for when you insert it So I type a 60 word description of something and I want to insert it for 15 seconds...I just want a simple box for this

I completely agree with him. It's ridiculously hard to add simple text in a box. I actually have to use an external program to do this, and we're talking about PD version 15! yell PD17 Ult, PD16Ult, PD15ult + 13ult + 12ult
Painthop X9, X7, X4, 9
Aurora 3D (!!)
Animation Shop
Flex Gif Animator
Howler 9.5 !!
Windows 10. 64 bits
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It's ridiculously hard to add simple text in a box. I actually have to use an external program to do this

I'm surprised that you say this, I can't imagine how much easier it could get to "add simple plain text" than what's already there.
[Post New]
Quote It's ridiculously hard to add simple text in a box. I actually have to use an external program to do this

I'm surprised that you say this, I can't imagine how much easier it could get to "add simple plain text" than what's already there.

How do you do it? from the title room? you reckon adding a simple line of text (without any of the ornaments) from there is easy? PD17 Ult, PD16Ult, PD15ult + 13ult + 12ult
Painthop X9, X7, X4, 9
Aurora 3D (!!)
Animation Shop
Flex Gif Animator
Howler 9.5 !!
Windows 10. 64 bits
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How do you do it? from the title room? you reckon adding a simple line of text (without any of the ornaments) from there is easy?

Yes I think so. Click on the icon to add a new template, type in your text, name the template, drag it to the title timeline and it's done. Of course it can be far more complicated than that if you want it to be but that's it at it's most basic.

p.s. - apologies for taking the thread off topic.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 07. 2017 13:38

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The Default title template found in the title room is just that. No fancy ornaments. You can futher change the default font and size and save it to be your newer plain ttitle template to use the next and every time you select it.
Playhead [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 08, 2017 14:32 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Side by side another secondary display.

Example:

Left side display: dedicated for raw clip preview etc.. (This display should be optional with on/off option or close button)

Right side display: dedicated for timeline preview. (Permanent)
[Post New]
Quote How do you do it? from the title room? you reckon adding a simple line of text (without any of the ornaments) from there is easy?

Yes I think so. Click on the icon to add a new template, type in your text, name the template, drag it to the title timeline and it's done. Of course it can be far more complicated than that if you want it to be but that's it at it's most basic.

p.s. - apologies for taking the thread off topic.

That's got nothing to do with a text box. It's a title box, you can only add one line of text at a time, no more than that, text doesn't scroll to the next line, etc.

That's why we have to resort to other programs. PD17 Ult, PD16Ult, PD15ult + 13ult + 12ult
Painthop X9, X7, X4, 9
Aurora 3D (!!)
Animation Shop
Flex Gif Animator
Howler 9.5 !!
Windows 10. 64 bits
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

It's interesting to see the different interpretations around this issue.

Can we continue this debate in a seperate thread, please, to prevent this one becoming blocked?

Thanks.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Frankster69 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 13, 2017 13:32 Messages: 68 Offline
[Post New]
Feature request: improved View Designer

I just came across this amazing editor that comes from the Insta360 website. It is very similar to View Designer in PowerDirector, but has some major improvements on it.

For starters you can select unfolding methods like little planet, dome, equirectangular on a per-keyframe basis, and you can zoom from little planet to full equirectangular and back, a kind of 'negative zoom' if you want. It makes for very ineresting edits.

Like View Designer it outputs standard 16:9 videos. I'm using it now, but the downside is it only goes up to 1920x1080 output.

It would be very welcome if the 360 edit capabilities of PD can be expanded in this way.

check out what it can do in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRoC_PiiV4E

regards, Frank
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Suggestion:

While it's nice to change the height of each individual track's audio track and video track independently, it was more convenient in earlier versions of PD to also have the option to change the height of all tracks, video and audio, with one click instead of the two separate clicks we have to make now - one for video, one for audio.

Another work space suggestion:

I used to be able to scroll up and down through my tracks easily, sweeping the entire vertical height of all the tracks continuously. Now the scrolling stops on each individual track and I have to keep repositioning the cursor. I use WizMouse which gives the capability of scrolling over whatever area of a page the cursor is over, rather than to keep clicking first to give the area focus. That's what doesn't work anymore. I'm having to grab the scroll bar which is much clunkier than being able to instantly scroll.

rbowser
[Post New]
Editing Panasonic GH5 10-Bit 4:2:2 Files

The main feature for me would be compatibility with the 10-bit video files created by the Panasonic GH5 camera. I shoot everything in 10-bit format now after upgrading to the GH5, so being able to open 10-bit GH5 files is a top proiority for me.

Here is a list of NLE editors that are currently able to open and edit GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 video files...

Adobe Premiere CC ( latest version )

Adobe Premiere Elements 15

DaVinci Resolve 12.5 / 14 ( paid version only )

Grass Valley EDIUS Pro 8

Sony Catalyst Production Suite 2017

TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6

...It would be nice to add PowerDirector to this list.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 21. 2017 23:08

Emanuel Alexandru [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2017 16:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
HELLO...WE NEED FROM POWER DIRECTOR THE ABILITY TO READ MXF CLIPS....IS VERY IMPORTANT WHEN YOU USE THE LATEST CAMERAS....THANK YOU

MXF...MXF...MXF
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
The ability to burn Blu RayUHD, PLEASE

Hope it will be in V16, in September. Would be a leg up on ALL of the competition. I am using V14, V15 has nothing of interest for me.Hope V16 is different. A VU meter would be nice too but not enough reason by itself to buy.

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 23. 2017 02:38

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
Nighthawk [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Dunedin, NZ Joined: Apr 09, 2015 04:27 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
The first is a seperate clip preview window, where you can select in and out points and then press an inser button to place the portion of the track between the two point into the time line. The second preview window is used to playback the timeline.

If you open the trim window and (Ctrl + Alt + T) you can use the "mark in" and, "mark out" features in including doing a single trim as well as multiple trims.

I think the philosophy behind it is to keep the interface simple and not overly cluttered as this makes easier for a new user to learn while still having the power...

My suggestion would be if to have the option to change the interface at will (and to lock it) because every user is different so in this case have the option to have the trim window attached to main interface etc... I personally wouldn't use it as it as for me the interface would become too cluttered as I find it quicker and easier to just do quick trims on the main timeline. However, I will admit I also use an X-keys and Jog Wheel.

I would, however, have the VU meters switched on if they were available under the above scenario.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 01. 2017 07:58

Nighthawk Music : Wacky Wood Works
Frankster69 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 13, 2017 13:32 Messages: 68 Offline
[Post New]
Please add native support for fisheye and dual fisheye 360 footage (like Pinnacle just now in 20.5). An increasing number of consumer users, including me, now have 360 camera's that output to those formats: Ricoh Theta S, Samsung Gear 360, LG 360 Cam, Insta360, 360Fly, Panoview, Nikon Keymission, Kodak Orbit 360 to name a few...

regards, Frank
RickMcKC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2014 15:27 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
MP4 sound quality equal to that of PD13 and earlier. A "patch" was made available earlier this year (and incorporated in latest updates I think) but previous versions still sound better. There is a distinctive "scratch" or distortion still perceptible. It's better than it was but still not as good as it should be.
Wheaty [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North Yorkshire Joined: Nov 29, 2010 09:53 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I mainly use PD for creating videos of still images and the odd video clip or two included. I would like to see the following:

a) The ability to resize the photo quickly back to its original size if, later, I feel that 16:9 or CLPV introduces to much distortion in the image.

b) Smoother acceleration/deceleration when using magic motion

c) Ability to add full length music to menus than being restricted to a few seconds

d) Ability to retain the timeline scale when saving a project instead of having to stretch it out each time I load it in