Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Action director failing to stitch GEAR 360 (2017) video
Arrell [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 25, 2017 21:02 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
The camera records the video fine... When I import the unstitched video, Action Director initially shows the two circular images in the thumbnail, and automatically starts to stitch it-

once it stitches it, however it turns into a scrambled mess...

See this video:

If I stitch it on my phone and then export it everything is fine... but with 10 minute videos, attempting to stitch on the phone takes forever and makes it overheat- sometimes crashing the phone...

What is going on? Does action director work with the 2017 Gear 360?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Are you using the Action Director that came with the Gear 360 or the one in Power Director. If the later, did you install the update?

Did you make the adjustment to the progem - Preferences/Editing check mark by "Automatic Angle Compensation"?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 26. 2017 07:51

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Arrell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Are you using the Action Director that came with the Gear 360 or the one in Power Director. If the later, did you install the update?

Did you make the adjustment to the progem - Preferences/Editing check mark by "Automatic Angle Compensation"?

Thanks!

It is the Action director that says 'gear 360' in the icon

I just installed the update- it is still doing the same thing- scrambling the video- I had the angle compensation checked.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Are you using the Action Director that came with the Gear 360 or the one in Power Director. If the later, did you install the update?

Thanks!

I just installed the update- it is still doing the same thing- scrambling the video- I had the angle compensation checked.

When you bought the camcorder, you were given a link to a standalone Action Director. Is that what you are using?

or are you using the ActionDirector that is part of PowerDirector?

Are you uploading direcxtly from the memory card with no stitching applied?

If you haven't already done this, go to the Samsung Gear 360 users forum and see if anyone has a similar problem . If not, you may want to post there also. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Arrell -

I don't have a Gear360 camera, but I do have Cyberlink Gear360 ActionDirector installed on my PC (2423 update patch).

Using this unstitched sample clip straight off the SD card, it imported & stitched correctly then produced without issue to both H.265 & H.264. Here's the produced file.

What result do you get using the same clip?

Would it be possible to upload your clip(s) to a shared file site for testing?

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Gear360_ico.png]
 Filename
Gear360_ico.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
697 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 26. 2017 15:39

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Arrell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Your file stitched correctly, my files only stitch on the phone... Pictures also seem to be ok for action director to stitch, its just video that gets scrambled.

My action director has the Gear 360 icon you posted...

This is really frustrating, I will try to take a short video and upload it...

Quote Hi Arrell -

I don't have a Gear360 camera, but I do have Cyberlink Gear360 ActionDirector installed on my PC (2423 update patch).

Using this unstitched sample clip straight off the SD card, it imported & stitched correctly then produced without issue to both H.265 & H.264. Here's the produced file.

Cheers - Tony
Arrell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is a 20 second unstitched file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2u5c2gbIXImdENOQXFXZkd3a0E

You can see if it works for you...

Quote Hi Arrell -

Cheers - Tony
Arrell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I dont see an action director, or gear 360 forum here- if there is one, I will ask my question there...

Thanks!

When you bought the camcorder, you were given a link to a standalone Action Director. Is that what you are using?

or are you using the ActionDirector that is part of PowerDirector?

Are you uploading direcxtly from the memory card with no stitching applied?

If you haven't already done this, go to the Samsung Gear 360 users forum and see if anyone has a similar problem . If not, you may want to post there also.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Arrell -

Thanks for uploading the unstitched clip. Unfortunately, it gives me something like you showed in your original post. See attached screenshots.

BTW, I take no credit for the 360 clip I used before. It's not "mine". I grabbed it from here. That guy noted the clip was directly from the camera.

Comparing your clip with the one I downloaded, I notice yours is 4096x2048 24fps & the downloaded clip is 3840x1920 29.97fps. Both 2:1 but different frame rate. MediaInfo attached.

I'm struggling to come up with any possible cause of the issue.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Gear360 Stitching.png]
 Filename
Gear360 Stitching.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1406 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
67 time(s)
[Thumb - Gear360 Stitched.png]
 Filename
Gear360 Stitched.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
268 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
49 time(s)
[Thumb - Gear360 MediaInfo.png]
 Filename
Gear360 MediaInfo.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
54 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2017 05:06

stevek
[Post New]
In Action Director that is part of Power Director.

I waited until the video was stitched and then in the preview, I saw the same pattern HOWEVER, when I selected to view the 360 by selecting the icon just below the preview, I saw the video in 360. I saw a hallway with several doors and some other things that I could not see clearly. It looks like the video was taken in an enclosed space. I was able to navigate the full 360.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2017 06:32

stevek
[Post New]
I'm waiting for a YOUTube upload.

Done ! Look here.

It would be nice if the camera could be taken outdoors so we can really see what surrounds the camcorder.

BTW, I have the same hallway rug! laughing

Edit: Well that didn't come out to well. I thnk I see the ceiling to start so make sure you look down level. Suffice to say, it worked properly when all was said and done.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 27. 2017 07:16

Arrell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, but The video you link to is not stitched correctly- there are 2 distorted black gaps (teardrop shaped) and if you look down its HIGHLY stretched and distorted... the door looks infinitely tall!

I can get the same result if I use Power director, but that isnt useable....

SHORT videos can be stitched on my phone and then exported and look great, but I am wanting to make long videos which crash my phone when I try to stitch them. (Long, being 10 minutes). I bought this to do a timelapse video of the upcoming solar eclipse from a mountaintop... is there an action director gear 360 forum?

Quote I'm waiting for a YOUTube upload.

Done ! Look here.

It would be nice if the camera could be taken outdoors so we can really see what surrounds the camcorder.

BTW, I have the same hallway rug! laughing

Edit: Well that didn't come out to well. I thnk I see the ceiling to start so make sure you look down level. Suffice to say, it worked properly when all was said and done.

stevek
[Post New]
There is a Samsung Gear 360 users forum that can be reached via the Samsung web site.

The camcorder does have limits. That is one reason I asked if the camocrer could be taken ouside for the video. Who really wants to take a 360 degree video in essentially a closet.

What I showed is a lot different than the geometric designs and color changes that you showed. If properly adjusted during playback, it shows properly stitched. There was no trick; simply selecting a 360 playbaxck on the original video and then stitching. Try it before you try to rip it apart.

Did you say you did select the "Automatic Angle Compensation" setting. That usually got rid of the type of artifact that you are explaining.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2017 16:12

Arrell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I selected angle compensation.

I take the unstitched video from the camera, drag it into Action director- initially it shows the video as being the two circular images in the thumbnail and then starts stitching.

When it is done stitching it turns into the scrambled mess.

I see the preview window, and below it I see an Icon to select 360 view- i choose 360 view. I can 'navigate' the scrambled mess and drag it around 360 degrees, but it is just a scrambled mess.

If I stitch the same video you did on my phone, it looks great- no black gaps, no extreme distortion, everything looks good- which is great, but wont help me with longer videos that cant be stitched on my phone because it crashes.

If there is some setting in the software I am missing I am not seeing it...

If I look at the video you posted on youtube I see gaps and everything is stretched to a point on the floor- I sheck the playback settings on youtube and see nothing that allows me to select 360 playback

Quote There is a Samsung Gear 360 users forum that can be reached via the Samsung web site.

The camcorder does have limits. That is one reason I asked if the camocrer could be taken ouside for the video. Who really wants to take a 360 degree video in essentially a closet.

What I showed is a lot different than the geometric designs and color changes that you showed. If properly adjusted during playback, it shows properly stitched. There was no trick; simply selecting a 360 playbaxck on the original video and then stitching. Try it before you try to rip it apart.

Did you say you did select the "Automatic Angle Compensation" setting. That usually got rid of the type of artifact that you are explaining.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2017 16:39

stevek
[Post New]
You said: " If I look at the video you posted on youtube I see gaps and everything is stretched to a point on the floor- I sheck the playback settings on youtube and see nothing that allows me to select 360 playback"

If you were able to navcigate up and down and around the video (which apparently you were), then you are using the 360 feature. It is a long way from that black target with color flashing that you posted to begin with. Why are you so angry; I'm just trying to help.

Please post your computer specs via a Windows dxdiag.exe text file so we can see if your computer meets the minimum requirements.

If you post another video taken outside and not in an enclosed space and with the two lenses pointed horizontally, then I'll try to continue. At this point you made a mistake buying the 360 camcorder becasue you don't seem to want to learn about it.

My suggestion is to go to the Samsung site and see if you can get help there.

-30-

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 28. 2017 07:48

Arrell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Steve,

I am not sure what I have said that has been interpreted as anger-

Attached is the DXDIAG.txt.

The camera works great if I do the stitching on my phone- here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL5JNxDY3Cs

Anything much longer than this will crash my phone (Samsung Note 5)

The reason I posted an enclosed space as an example was simply because I had no short videos from outdoors, and it was dark outside when the sample was requested.

Action director stitches the pictures I take correctly, but not the video- Power Director 15 recognizes the video taken with the camera as video but when it stitches it gives me the same highly distorted image as you got with the video you posted.

My computer is fairly standard, but it does have 3 graphics cards- not sure why that would cause a problem...

I do appreciate any suggestions, I had assumed this was a simple problem that others had had and I was just overlooking some settings in the software... apparently that is not the case, I have also contacted cyberlink customer support.

Quote You said: " If I look at the video you posted on youtube I see gaps and everything is stretched to a point on the floor- I sheck the playback settings on youtube and see nothing that allows me to select 360 playback"

If you were able to navcigate up and down and around the video (which apparently you were), then you are using the 360 feature. It is a long way from that black target with color flashing that you posted to begin with. Why are you so angry; I'm just trying to help.

Please post your computer specs via a Windows dxdiag.exe text file so we can see if your computer meets the minimum requirements.

If you post another video taken outside and not in an enclosed space and with the two lenses pointed horizontally, then I'll try to continue. At this point you made a mistake buying the 360 camcorder becasue you don't seem to want to learn about it.

-30-

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
49 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
214 time(s)
Arrell [Avatar]
[Post New]
The issue is resolved.

When I got the camera the software the software key was not in the box so I contacted Samsung customer support... after an hour on the phone they sent me to a link to download it and gave me a software key over the phone - Apparently, despite the fact I was very clear what version of the camera I had (2017 version- I gave them the serial number multiple times) they gave me the software that only worked for the 2016 version.

Cyberlink customer support gave me the proper version, and it all works great.

Quote Steve,

I am not sure what I have said that has been interpreted as anger-

Attached is the DXDIAG.txt.

The camera works great if I do the stitching on my phone- here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL5JNxDY3Cs

Anything much longer than this will crash my phone (Samsung Note 5)

The reason I posted an enclosed space as an example was simply because I had no short videos from outdoors, and it was dark outside when the sample was requested.

Action director stitches the pictures I take correctly, but not the video- Power Director 15 recognizes the video taken with the camera as video but when it stitches it gives me the same highly distorted image as you got with the video you posted.

My computer is fairly standard, but it does have 3 graphics cards- not sure why that would cause a problem...

I do appreciate any suggestions, I had assumed this was a simple problem that others had had and I was just overlooking some settings in the software... apparently that is not the case, I have also contacted cyberlink customer support.

Quote You said: " If I look at the video you posted on youtube I see gaps and everything is stretched to a point on the floor- I sheck the playback settings on youtube and see nothing that allows me to select 360 playback"

-30-

stevek
[Post New]
Great -- Finally .
ynotfish
[Post New]
I've actually got myself quite confused about the different versions of Gear360 ActionDirector, but

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - G360 versions.png]
 Filename
G360 versions.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
298 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2017 04:06

jucilei [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 06, 2017 23:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I am having the same problem when video are getting stiched... just a black screen with white lines in it... I install the software s\from sumsung web page, and today I found out that there is a pathc update, but it did not resolve the issue.

My PC is a Windows 10,

Core-i7-7700 CPU

16 GB memeory

NVidia GeForce GT730

attached is a screen shot of the video after stiched.
[Thumb - Gear360.JPG]
 Filename
Gear360.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Gear360 ActionDirector
 Filesize
161 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
138 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 06. 2017 23:40