Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Different file types when producing... I am lost
Verity66 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 21, 2017 05:47 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

This is my first post in this forum. I have been looking at various tutorials online to help my understanding of producing home movies using Power Director 13. I am making some progress but am getting stuck in a bit of a mess.

I currently have made a movie using my own photos and video taken on my camera and phone and have got to the stage of producing it and creating a disc.

There are videos of different types in my timeline and I am wanting to know the correct file format to produce to. The different video types are

Windows Media 720 x 406 30fps

File Type MP4 H.264 AVC 720 x 1280

File Type AVCHD 1920x1080 25 fps

I would like to produce the movie and put it on a USB so it can be put into a television and family members can watch it and also burn a disc to send overseas. I have done the burning of a disc in the past and been sucessful though don't know what I did over a year ago. Also underneath the H.264AVC button there are 3 choices and not sure which I should use.

I am guessing that I should have one type of video file to make this easier. I will leave it here as if anyone can give any help I could then be more specific.

Appreciation in bucketloads in advance for anyone that can help me get moving forward.....

Regards

Verity
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Verity and welcome to the forum.

The best advice I can give is to experiment and see what is best for you but having said that, I normally create H264 1920x1080 (HD) 25 frames per second (might be 30 if you're in an NTSC area) MP4 (one of the 3 filetypes you mention). After producing the video file, I copy it to a USB stick and my TV plays this format really well. I also upload these files to YouTube.
Verity66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Verity and welcome to the forum.

The best advice I can give is to experiment and see what is best for you but having said that, I normally create H264 1920x1080 (HD) 25 frames per second (might be 30 if you're in an NTSC area) MP4 (one of the 3 filetypes you mention). After producing the video file, I copy it to a USB stick and my TV plays this format really well. I also upload these files to YouTube.

Hi

Thanks very much. Yes i see what you are saying... H264 and then the MP4 option underneath ... is that correct??? but it won't play on a TV after i put it on a USB. Maybe it is the USB.

I tried converting the MP4 file after producing to AVI with freemake converter and it reduced the file size and I dragged it to a USB and it then worked on TV.. I just thought I wouldn't have to convert after producing with Power Director.
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
What is the make and model of your TV?

p.s. - Yes that's correct by the way smile

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 21. 2017 17:40

Verity66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What is the make and model of your TV?

p.s. - Yes that's correct by the way smile

It is a real cheapy for my kitchen... Technika bought new from Tesco last year in April... about 130 pound
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
The reason I asked was that generally TV manuals will specify what video file types a particular model supports.

This is one list of manuals for that make of TV. Having said that, you've found that .avi works but I'd be surprised if it doesn't support more than that. You'll have to experiment to see which is best for you. Try MPEG-2 and, I would say, preferably WindowsMedia (.wmv).
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
MP4 is still under patent and requires a license fee, so not all cheap TVs will play them, or may only play older versions of MP4. MPEG 2 may work better, but is a bigger file. It may also work better for burning to disc. That will depend on how the receicer will be playing it. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM