Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No Audio in Production
Kevin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 22, 2009 12:47 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I am importing a .mpg into the library and I can play the file from the library with no issues. When I drag the file into the timeline, however, I no longer get any audio when I play the file back. All I'm trying to do is remove some commercials from a video. I don't seem to have this problem with other videos I have produced, but this video did come from a different source.

Any ideas?

Vista 32 bit
Media Details:

General
Complete name : C:\Users\snipped...\2008-04-07_200721.MPG
Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 26.2 GiB
Duration : 3h 19mn
Overal bit rate : 18.8 Mbps

Video
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@High
Format settings, Matrix : Standard
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 17.1 Mbps
Nominal bit rate : 45.0 Mbps
Width : 1920 pixels
Height : 1080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.724

Audio
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Video delay : -66ms

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

I note the audio is AC3.

In case this is the issue, try this post :-
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4209.page

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2009 14:57

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Kevin [Avatar]
[Post New]
I went ahead and installed an AC3 decoder and even installed an AC3 encoder as well. Went ahead and reinstalled Power Director 7. Still have the same problem.

I'll also note that if I right-click the file in the library and select Properties, the audio says :

Type: Unknown format
Channel: Mono

I can play the file from the library with no issues. It is only when I move it to the timeline that I have the problem.

I'll also note that if I go to the Create Disc tab and click settings, the options I have listed for Audio are LPCM and Dolby Digital. I have read some forums suggesting that similar issues were caused by MPEG not being listed as an option. I'm not so sure though.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
On the media window left click and try to extract the audio as a separate file. That will create a separate file of the audio in the media library as well as in the same folder the video clip was in on your hard drive. If you still cannot hear the audio after dragging that into the voice track you can try to convert the audio into mp3 with a free audio converter.

See if that works.

good luck.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2009 19:11

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Kevin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestion. That menu option isn't available for this file, its grayed out. It is available for other files I've tried.

Any suggestions on a tool that could strip the audio out and convert it to mp3? This ought to be 6 or 8 channel audio, would I lose the channels by converting to mp3? Either way, I don't feel like I should have to do that, I should expect Cyberlink's product to handle this for me.
migstradamus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2009 19:15 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
BUMP. Same problem here. Works in media library, but AC3 sound disappears in timeline and preview. Has this ever been fixed? PD7 simply doesn't work with AC3?
Kevin [Avatar]
[Post New]
I still have this problem. I went through 2 copy and paste customer service suggestions that were absurd. Didn't resolve my issue. I've since reinstalled my OS and still have the same problem.
migstradamus [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have a support ticket open and have sent them the diagnostic file and uploaded a problem sample video to work on. Nothing back yet.
migstradamus [Avatar]
[Post New]
FYI:

We wish to inform you that it is declared as bug in this software and RD is working hard to get rid of it.

We deeply regret for the inconvenience.
Kevin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Excellent. This is good news. Thanks for following up on this.
Kevin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bump.

I'm still awaiting a resolution for this. This is starting to piss me off.
migstradamus [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yah, me too. I posted because I have a large number of archived video in that format and I wanted to burn it to DVD. Now I've had this product for four months and it's been of very little use because of this so-called bug.

I assume this is where we're all supposed to wait until the next version and cough up more money for that, trusting that this one will work. I went through this with an Acronis product once. It simply crashed regularly, as many reported. No fix until months later the new version came out. We were supposed to spend money on a new version of a program that never worked.

If they can't fix it they should just try for a while then give us our money back.