Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't change aspect ratio in v9.0 Ultra
PatrickD [Avatar]
Newbie Location: California Joined: Mar 18, 2009 20:17 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I hope someone can help me figure out how to get this feature working. I have version 9 Ultra & installed it on my new PC, running Vista 64 Ultimate. This PC has an ATI 4870 graphics card running the Catalyst 9.2 drivers. The monitor I'm runing is a ViewSonic G810 set at 1600 X 1200. I don't have a BlueRay player, the DVD player is a Samsung burner (SATA). So far I've been playing MPEG files from my hard drive and some regular DVDs.

Eeverything seems to work OK except for the Aspect Ratio settings. No matter what I've tried, I can only select Original Aspect Ratio or Linear Stretch -- all of the Smart Stretch options are greyed-out. Many of the MPEG files I have were recorded 4:3 but are meant to be viewed 16:9, so I need these settings. Does anyone know how to get this to work? Any help is appreciated. Thx!
David_H [Avatar]
Member Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Hi PatrickD,

If its like version 8 Ultra, then you have to turn off video hardware acceleration first with the Configuration dialog. As long as video hardware acceleration is enabled, your video aspect ratio options will be restricted.

Best regards.
PatrickD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi David and thank you for the reply, but that's not the problem. I've enabled/disabled hardware acceleration along with every other possible configuration of checked options -- nothing. I have never succeeded in getting the Aspect Ratio selections to be selectable no matter what anything else is set-to. They have always been grayed-out, unavailable.

After reading other posts here, I'm getting very frustrated with this product. It's obvious that it was rolled without alot of beta testing and has a lot of unresolved bugs. I'm going to wait until the first patch comes out. If it doesn't improve in a dramatic way, screw it. It'll get deinstalled and that's the last nickel these guys will ever see from me.
Shawn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 17, 2009 22:29 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem within MCE plug-in.
PatrickD [Avatar]
[Post New]
I installed the latest patch and it totally broke PowerDVD -- now there are a bunch of DVDs that it won't play and the ones that will take two minutes to load. And no, I still can't see any active aspect ratio controls when I finally do get something to load. I'm running it on a brand new 3.5 GHz quad core PC with the latest OS and drivers; there's just no excuse for PowerDVD's behavior other than it's trash. 9 Ultra should never have been released like this -- it's not even ready to beta-test much less go to general distribution.

I give up. I'm de-installing the app and asking for my money back. This has been a total bummer experience and I'll never even look at anything from this company again. Screwing your customers with a half-baked release is totally dishonest.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 18. 2009 13:20