Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power DVD 9 Ultra-Unuseable
John [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2009 17:04 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Since support is so slow I was wondering if any of you fine forum users could help me. I upgraded from 7 Ultra to 9 Ultra and can't really use 9 at all. I can't play DVD's, a Blu-Ray that played fine in 7 isn't playable in 9 and I can't select the video tab under config in 9. If I do any of those things the program aborts. Any help?
Lucio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2009 11:32 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Same here i upgraded from Powerdvd 7 to Powerdvd 9. When i try to watch a blu ray movie or a dvd nothing happens
[Post New]
I had 7 and just upgraded on 123108 to 8 ultra am having nothing but problems i have done everything support asked and tried to really help these support people. then get a message telling me pay 70 buck for an upgrade to 9 ultra and i just got 8 ultra. I send them a message asking them hey i will continue to send bug reports and see if i can run debuggers till we get the problem fixed but hell since i just got 8 will you reduc or give me a break on price. Instead they tell f***OFF. THanks guys. So I have been trolling the forums all over and I find it funny that 9 has even more issues than 8. I have now moved on to another software and am posting on every software forum that talks about this software and relate all of your problems. Maybe they will try to fix problems before they release newer software. Microsoft may have buggy software but they don't release a product so broken that I have not seen one nice post about this crappy stuff for a very long time.

Milieu You know it has been a good day!! A very good Day. Go on lad I done.
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah I'm starting to really wish I had done my research first. I had such a great experience with 7 I just assumed 9 would be just as good...my bad I guess...
[Post New]
Yeah you know they ant me to buy the next copy *laughs* Not when i just purcased 8 and it is so broken.

But if I want to waste 60 bucks I will just:
buy a domain 12bucks
hosting 30bucks
build a site really fast and tell everyone why they should stay away from CL. Priceless

Milieu

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 12. 2009 21:29

You know it has been a good day!! A very good Day. Go on lad I done.
Simon [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 07, 2008 06:39 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not having any problems like you guys seem to be having.

The only issues I have is Cinema Mode just shut it down and won't allow the program to restart. I think this has been mentioned elsewhere. The other is not being able to get HD audio out even though the mainboard in my HTPC has sound based on the Realtek 889 chipset and has content protection.

One thing I will say that from past experience PDVD doesn't play nice with other software and my HTPC only has PDVD 7, 8 and 9 on it and a handful of other apps such as Firefox and Adobe Reader.

I've alway had problem when I've used it on a PC that I use everyday and has loads of stuff installed.
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
CL's answer was reinstall the software. Oh...I hadn't thought of that...that wasn't the first, second, and third thing I did. I want my money back!
Jogi73 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2009 06:47 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Obviously the family of us guys is getting bigger and bigger!

I have the same problem: The Ultra-Version doesn't work. I cannot see any choice in the AUDIO settings and in the INFORMATION. Finally the software shuts down when I try to play DVD or any other video file.

The Cyberlink support has tortured me with simple standard questions and hints, like "reinstall the software with admin rights" etc.

Well, what do they expect? Of course I have tried everything like that before I consult the support!

In my case there's one strange thing:
The TRIAL version works without ANY problems!!!
Sarcastic question: Does it work until I buy and activate it?

Regards,
Jochen
Vedim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2009 18:38 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Well, it seems I am joining the crowd too.
I had 8 Ultra for some time now and it still works ok.
Recently purchased 9 ultra upgrade and having same problems as most of you guys here.
Audio combos in settings are empty and if I click on Video settings or try to play something app crashes and Vista gives me this message:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PowerDVD9.exe
Application Version: 9.0.1428.0
Application Timestamp: 49a93bb7
Fault Module Name: DVD_X.IMP
Fault Module Version: 9.0.1428.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 49a93c23
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0004fa75
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 5146
Additional Information 1: 34c6
Additional Information 2: aa76a760ad25814752fcc580aa962858
Additional Information 3: 9b41
Additional Information 4: c33c1e93384d3d32facfa8cca8aeb93c

Any hope, or is it time to go WinDVD ?
Ali [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2009 12:23 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Every one

I have the same problem with PowerDVD 9 Ultra and Divx Files.

I'm Using Version 8 , and I have to say its perfect.

When I just can play some of xvid-format movies and about the others when Im gonna play nothing happens. I dont know whats the problem.

PLz just take a look at this thread:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/6065.page

Plz Someone help from Cyberlink's team.[b]
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
There seems to be little hope Vedim...I'm pretty sure us forum users know more about the issue then CL and we certainly care more. Hopefully someone from the community can solve the problems. Can't count on them to do it that's for sure.
Vedim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2009 18:38 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Well John,

The funny thing is that codecs from 9 are working with other players.
For example, I am using KMPlayer for years.
I can tune it as i like, set key shortcuts, assign custom actions for mouse, have different profiles for different formats, etc...
Main reason for buying CL were codecs.
CL player is mediocre and almost useless(at least for my needs), but performance and quality of its DVD and HD264 codecs is very hard to beat.
I spent few days installing, reinstalling and poking around Vista and finally I got everything working in my KMPlayer. PDVD9 audio renderer is showing some funny characters in properties tabs, but it works.
Oddly enough, CL 9 Ultra player still crashes in same way it did before and 8 Ultra works as it did before.
Some people complain about disabling 264 codecs with last update for 8 and selling it separately, but I say: Can we buy all codecs separately without your crappy player, please!!!
Squall86r [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2008 10:56 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Suggest a repair installation, launching the installer via the Run As admin right click option.

check your system drivers as well.
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
UAC is turned off. I reinstalled it three different times, this last time I used an installer that tech support provided me with. Same results. Latest drivers, latest directx, latest everything.

Apparently tech support doesn't like my problem anymore either. They asked me to upload their BD Advisor and dxdiag info 4 days ago and haven't responded. I LOVE THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IT MAKES ME FEEL SO APPRECIATED!!
Squall86r [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2008 10:56 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Have you got the VS2005 runtime installed?
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
yeah it installs with CL's installer and I just checked my programs list and there it is
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow so CL just got back to me and their "solution" was to lower my resolution from 1920x1200 to 1024x768. How does that make any sense at all when everything worked fine at that resolution in 7 Ultra. These guys are terrible!
[Post New]
You know John that makes me Laugh even harder. I am running 2 Nvidia 280's in sli mode and running multiple monitors and at 1920x1200 per monitor. Tech support told you to drop rez to 1024x768(rez I used 10 years ago) Gee why don't we all pull out Windows 98SE also and see if it works better running on that too.

Tech support Must be somking something You know it has been a good day!! A very good Day. Go on lad I done.
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
I couldn't believe it! I literally sat there for a second with my jaw open. How does that make any sense?!

edit

That's like me going for help because my car stereo won't play CD's and the guy asks "Did you try turning it down?"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2009 21:39

Bignickfly [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2009 19:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Powerdvd9 has a file that listed as a virus, It may have been remove by your Anti Virus Software. This files is CLDABCD.DLL as a Generic.dx trojan