Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Activating PowerDVD Ultra 9
David [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2009 23:06 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am getting the "activation key is incorrect" and the error number ending in 0005. I am running Vista 64 bit and have tried adding the command given in the relevant FAQ to the hosts file. The file will not save. Is there any way to sort out this problem other than going back to ultra 8?

Thanks
Joseph [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 27, 2008 08:56 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
could be UAC, something isn't running as an administrator.
David [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. No, UAC is ok. I am still waiting to hear from Tech Support.
Christoph [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2009 18:15 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I have had the same problem.
II have installed befor PowerDVD 7.3 OEM Ultra and then upgraded to 9 Ultra. I got the same message. I deinstalled everything (PowerDVD 9 and 7.3), searched the Registry, if i could find something looking link "Cyberlink" and/or PowerDVD and deleted the String, or when knowing, that the Main-Key is only used by PowerDVD/Cyberlink, i deleted the Key. Then I rebooted my computer and installed PowerDVD 9 again. Only at this time my Key was accepted.

Or try this at first:
PowerDVD 9
and
PowerDVD 8

Christoph

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13. 2009 11:43

David [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. After two suggestions from Cyberlink Tech Support, neither of which worked, they came up with this:

"Please follow the steps below to resolve the issue you are facing:

1. Uninstall PowerDVD using the steps below:

I. Reboot PC.

II. Install Microsoft cleanup tool and clean PowerDVD installation information
Install Microsoft cleanup tool and execute from
"Start\all programs\Windows Installer Cleanup"
If you can see PowerDVD in product list, select PowerDVD [9.00] and click "Remove" button to clean up PowerDVD.

Microsoft cleanup tool download:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

III. Remove PowerDVD folder and clean up PDVD Registry
Remove PowerDVD install folder and clean the PowerDVD registry

1. Remove "PowerDVD 9" Folder
The original PowerDVD Folder Path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD9

2. Remove PowerDVD 9 InstallShield folder.
Remove C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{A8516AC9-AAF1-47F9-9766-03E2D4CDBCF8}folder
(This is a hidden folder. Please enable "show hidden files and folders" under\Windows Explorer\tools\Folder options\view\Hidden files and folders)

3. Run regedit (Start\Run\Type Regedit)

(1) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDVD9

(2) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{A8516AC9-AAF1-47F9-9766-03E2D4CDBCF8}

(3) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{A8516AC9-AAF1-47F9-9766-03E2D4CDBCF8}

(4) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{A8516AC9-AAF1-47F9-9766-03E2D4CDBCF8}

4. Reboot PC again
Reboot PC"

This did not work either because no PowerDVD entry turned up in the MS Clean Up list and none of the entries mentioned by Cyberlink were in my Registry. BUT - like you, I thought I had to clean out PowerDVD completely and this meant getting rid of Power2Go another Cyberlink product. When I did this Ultra 9 installed ok and activated without problem. I still don't know what was wrong because PowerDVD Ultra 8 installed and activated alongside Power2Go with no trouble. I have asked Tech Support about this because I want to know if there is anything I can do to avoid this in future when I have to reinstall after a routine format/os reinstall. No word yet from Tech Support.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 13. 2009 20:15

Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
Check the FAQ.

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=6791&prodId=1&prodVerId=236
Or if you still face the same issue, contact CyberLink Support.
They can provide other build to you.
David [Avatar]
[Post New]
Daisuke - thanks. Yes the FAQ suggestion is the first thing I tried before contacting Cyberlink Tech Support. It didn't work because there was no hosts folder in Vista 64bit that behaved in the way the FAQ suggested.

I had installed the Upgrade version of PDVD Ultra 9 and Cyberlink gave me a link to download the full version. That was decent of them and I downloaded and installed it. That wouldn't activate either.

The only thing that enabled PDVD Ultra 9 to activate was cleaning out all references to Cyberlink on my computer.

Yes, I contacted Tech Support about this further issue some time ago and have heard nothing. I still do not know if Power2Go will install and activate ok next to PowerDVD Ultra 9.

There clearly is a problem with the PowerDVD Ultra 9. I haven't had to go to such trouble installing a piece of softwarefor some years.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2009 23:43

David [Avatar]
[Post New]
I asked Cyberlink about reinstalling Power2Go after the problem with PowerDVD. I got the response below which I praise for it's speediness. It is of course ridiculous to have to go through all this for a simple piece of software so I have dumped Power2Go and got another program to do the job without any of these conflicts and hassles. Still, here is the next Cyberlink episode for anyone interested..

"Thank you for writing back.

In regards to your concern Kindly note that sometimes due to previous installation the registry entries are not completely removed because of which the new version key does not work as the computer considers the version as previous version.

So registry clean steps remove the complete entries for previous installation and fresh installation of new version is done which gets activated.

Kindly note your key for the Power2Go software: xxx

In case this does not work then please reinstall Power2Go also once and install again to check the results.

1. Restart the computer.

2. After that install “Microsoft cleanup tool” and clean Power2Go installation information:-

For that follow the steps:-

Install Microsoft cleanup tool and execute from "Start\all programs\WindowsInstaller Cleanup" To check if Power2Go is on product list, If you can see Power2Go in product list. Select Power2Go and click "Remove" button to clean up PowerDirector.

Please download the “Microsoft cleanup tool “ using the link below :

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

3. Now remove Power2Go folder and clean up Power2Go Registry

For that follow the below mentioned steps:-

a) Remove "C:\Program Files(x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go"

b) Remove "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{40bf1e83-20eb-11d8-97c5-0009c5020658}" folder

Please note that this directory is a hidden directory. So, first select 'Show hidden files and folder' option from 'Folder option' and then delete that folder.

For that follow the steps:-

Open 'Control Panel' --> open 'Folder Options' --> click 'View' tab --> select 'Show hidden files and folder' --> click 'OK'.

Now delete the following folder:

c) Run regedit (Start --> Run --> type "regedit")

(1) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\CyberLink\Power2Go"

(2) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{40bf1e83-20eb-11d8-97c5-0009c5020658}"

(3) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{40bf1e83-20eb-11d8-97c5-0009c5020658}"

(4) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{40bf1e83-20eb-11d8-97c5-0009c5020658}"

Now install a fresh copy of Power2Go 6.0 software

Important: Please make sure that you do not uninstall any other software along with Power2Go software. "

So there you have it.
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
Im my Vista 64 bit platform.
The host is located on
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc
Probably you can try the path.
%systemroot%\SysWOW64\drivers\etc
David [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have no etc>hosts file in the SysWOW64 folder. I do have the etc>hosts file in the System 32 folder. Problem is I couldn't make the additions to the hosts file required by the FAQ - I can't remember what the changes were now. So no go.

Cyberlink have just come back to say PDVDU9 interfering with Power2Go is a known issue (to which there is no solution at present). They asked me for an MSInfo file for their Product and Develoment team and I 've sent them one.

I await developments.