Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does PowerDVD 8 (or 9) downsample TrueHD so it can be sent through SDIF?
Estefano [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2009 12:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello:

I am having issues playing TrueHD sound (Ironman) on my media center PC and I was wondering if I only needed to upgrade to PowerDVD 8 Ultra or if I had to upgrade my hardware too:

In essence I have my nVidia 8600 Card (DVI to HDMI cable) connected to my receiver and the audio connected via SPIDF to the receiver also.

My question is: In order to get multi-channel audio using a TrueHD track does PowerDVD 8 Ultra (or 9) downsample the audio to 5.1 so it can be sent via SPDIF or am I stuck with 2 channel audio since its the only other audio track (non TrueHD) on the BR?

If yes PowerDVD does not downsample TrueHD to other multichannel audio formats, What are the recommended platforms for upgrade? I have been reading up on the nVidia 9300/9400 and the Intel G45 chipsets. Would this work?

Your answers are appreciated,

Estefano
JJPower [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2009 22:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
Audio via my SPDIF connection (optical) using PowerDVD Ultra 8, down mixes Dolby TrueHD and outputs Dolby Digital 5.1.
The same goes for DTS-HD MA, down mixes and outputs DTS 5.1.
Should be the same using PowerDVD Ultra 9.
I do know many people using the new PowerDVD Ultra 9 are reporting audio problems using there HDMI connection.

HP Pavilion Elite m9280f
Video Card : NVIDIA 9800GT
Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
Sound System : Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System
Monitor : Samsung SyncMaster 245T 24" 1920x1200 HDMI & DVI inputs

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 03. 2009 21:54

Estefano [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2009 12:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
JJPower, You are the man! thank you for the response, this is going to save me alot of time.

In regards to a TrueHD capable platform. Do you know if the nVidia 9300/9400 chipset works? how about the G45 chipset from Intel?

Regards,

Estefano
Andrey [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2009 19:10 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Look the 9400GT specification. I see "Audio Input for HDMI SPDIF". SPDIF have no HD audio support.

I think you need at least ATI Radeon HD4850 VGA.

HDMI output support

* All display resolutions up to 1920x1080
* Integrated HD audio controller with support for stereo and multi-channel (up to 7.1) audio formats, including AC-3, AAC, DTS, DTS-HD & Dolby True-HD, enabling a plug-and-play audio solution over HDMI

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2009 20:33