Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transition/Slide Duration Problems
Linda B [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2009 13:42 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
When trying to make a custom slideshow (not using templates), applying random transitions to a group of slides shortens the duration of the movie (significantly) rather than lengthening it (or even keeping it the same). The individual images still SAY they have the same duration, but it doesn't play that way. For example, in preferences, I have images set to 10 sec, and transitions to 5. If I drag 6 images to timeline, total duration is 60 seconds. If I "apply random transition to all", it does it, but SHORTENS the entire movie to 35 seconds. Playing the movie shows that now images are viewed much shorter. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't the movie be 90 seconds long after adding the transitions?
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Linda B,

Generally, transitions between slides take half their duration from the preceding slide and half from the slide after.

Hence two 10 sec slides with no transitions play for 20 secs.

One 10 sec slide, with a 2 sec transition after, plays for 10 secs

However, add two 10 secs slides and a 2 sec transition in between and the play length is 18 secs - so if you need to produce a slideshow of a particular length, you need to do some calculations.

Easy enough if all slides are equal and all transitions are equal but more complex if they are all different.

You must allow for slides with no preceding or following transition ie the first and last ones for example.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Linda B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, So transitions in Powerdirector actually decrease the time of images on either side? Please confirm then, that 4 10 second images with 3 five second transitions in between will produce a show of 25 seconds? So I guess transitions should be kept short if I want more picture time?
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Linda,

Yes, but I should have mentioned that a transition cannot be greater than half the length of the slide - so a 10 sec slide with two 5 sec transitions either side is possible but difficult to see in the timeline as it becomes covered up!

These posts might help

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4616.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5060.page

As with all things video - the relative times of slides and transitions is a balance between the 'technical' possibilities and the artistic intent.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
vn800rider
[Post New]
Hi Linda,

I've just been experimenting. In theory the clips should have a play time of 25 secs but on my system it's actually 24.24 with my last clip being shortened to 9.24 even tho the duration is set to 10.

Don't know why - I'll do some more.

EDIT
Sorry, my system seemed to be playing up - re load and all is well - 25 secs.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2009 10:57

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
Linda B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your quick help!