Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can I change the audio codec used for .MPEG2 productions?
Scott H. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2009 09:39 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all, here is my problem.

I have a finicky program that won't convert certain mpg files. Using GSpot, I think I've traced the problem down to the encoding of the audio. It seems that if the audio is encoded as MPEG-1 Layer 2 then the file will convert. However, if the audio is AC3, they won't.

Helpful readers, please don't suggest using a different transcoding program - I am familiar with several. I would appreciate it if we could keep the discussion focused on PD 7. Thanks

So, here is the question. When I use PD 7 to produce an .MPEG2 file, can I change the audio compression to something other than Dolby Digital (AC3)? I would really like to use MPEG-1 Layer 2. (I've tried to get there via a custom profile using the Audio tab on the Profile Set dialog.) Is there any way at all to get PD to recognize other audio codecs?

Would this be a feature of the Ultra version and not the Deluxe?

Addendum: I found a suggestion for changing the audio codec when burning a disk at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/3522.page#14546. In the associated illustration, I see MPEG showing up as an option. When I look there, I see only LPCM and Dolby Digital. What I would like to see is the Audio Compression on the Production Profile Setup dialog offer MPEG. Does that make sense?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2009 10:24

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scott,

Not sure if I fully understand but :
My system :-
XP MCE
Athlone 64X2 4600+ 2.4GHz 3GB RAM Radeon X1600 SATA 1x 500GB 1x 320GB
PD7 Ultra 2519

Produce .mpeg2 HDV720p
Dolby box unticked
Custom profile audio tab gives me MPEG-2 audio from 96 to 384 Kbps

Dolby box ticked
Custom profile gives MPEG 96-384 and blank title 128-448

produce .mpeg2 1080i
Dolby box unticked
gives choice of dolby digital 128-448
MPEG2 96-384

Don't know if that helps at all??

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Scott H. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi vn800rider, thanks for the reply.

What you wrote makes perfect sense. You can choose different codecs and bitrates.

Maybe it's the evaluation copy of the program that I have? I am downloading the Deluxe version just purchased from CyberLink now. I hope it's that and not the fact that I am running Vista x64 Ultimate. I did have to hunt down codec packs when I first installed it in late 2007. I just updated those packs today.

I see you have the Ultra rather than Deluxe. I hope that's not the difference because I just purchased the Deluxe version. I didn't think that I would need the AVCHD or BD features yet.

I guess this makes it official, I just jumped ship from Roxio after many years. I like what I see so far with PD (with the exception of the limited codec selection). The video editing is much faster. There are also far fewer tentacles into my system. My next task will be to burn a few test discs and see if all the devices around the house like them. Then I'll try to round trip the disc ISO image through UltraISO to see if I can embed folders on the disk. (So I can add additional content for those that read the disk via a PC.)

I'll let you know if I get the anticipated codes in the retail version.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 15. 2009 13:14

Scott H. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Problem solved. Pay for the program!

The retail version allows me to select an MPEG codec and set the bitrate when creating the .MPEG2 production. The audio is then MPEG-1 Layer 2. I'd rather it be AC3 but sometimes you have to compromise.

I now also see what vn800rider meant about unchecking Dolby before going onto the property page. If you don't, you only see the Dolby choice.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2009 14:10