Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector SmartFit DVD Resolution
Didi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 07, 2009 12:21 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I am new to PowerDirector and the manual is too simple, hope someone could help me.

I have a 2hour video and try to burn to a single layer disc, so I try the smartfit option when buring disc. It work fine for me.

When I play it by PowerDVD, it shows that the resolution is 352x480. Could I get a 720x480 resolution with lower bit rate instead?

In fact, in "Produce", I could customize a profile and set the resolution to 720x480 with lower bit rate, such that the output mpg file is around 4.6G.

But in "Create Disc", there is no similar option to set a customized resolution/bitrate.

I could think of one solution. "Create Disc" with "DVD HQ" quality and create a DVD folder. Then use other software to compress the DVD files to 4.6G before buring to disc. But I hope PD7 should be able to do this alone.

By the way, I found that it could "Create Disc" without going through the "Produce" step. This is not cover in the manual as well.

Thanks.
WilliamI [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2008 01:05 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Didi,

The best way I have found to accomplish this is to "Produce" your video to an MPEG-2 file using a custom profile. Start the custom profile as a copy of the DVD HQ profile (all the other DVD profiles are small frame resolution and should be avoided). Adjust the bitrate setting in your custom profile until you get the output filesize that you are looking for. There are some online calculators for determining the approximate output filesize, but trial and error also works. Once you have a filesize that works for you, import that into a new project, set your chapters and then do a Create Disc. SRVT should kick in and you should end up with a DVD disc in no time.

One recommendation would be to split your work up into chapters so you end up with an MPEG file per chapter. If you then need to adjust the compression a little you can target one chapter or another. This will also allow you to cut content out of a capter to shorten it and not require a full movie rerender.

You said you are working on a 2 hour movie. That's going to be difficult to fit on a 4 GB DVD. One hour is standard and you can fit 1.5 hours without too much trouble but 2 hours is going to be difficult. Simplest answer would be to switch to 8 GB (dual layer) DVD's, otherwise if you work on the chapter approach you can easily split the movie across two discs. Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Vista 64 bit, ATI Radeon HD 3850, Canon HF100
VBRoger [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 21, 2008 18:41 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
SRVT should kick in and you should end up with a DVD disc in no time.

I just tried what you said and it doesn't work. I "produced" an mpg2 file with 2000 bitrate. Then I went to "Create Disc" and selected SmartFit and the resulting VOB was over twice the size of my mpg file ;((( So, I tried the other option "DVD HQ" and the same thing occured... my resulting VOB file was much larger than my original mpg file. So, the SVRT is NOT kicking in.

So, what do I do how? And more importantly, why does PD NOT allow for a custom bitrate on this tab? Seems dumb to me. Maybe someone could explain it to my ignorant brain

VBDavie VBRoger ' VBDavie
creators of www.photojockey.com