Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using A USB Video Capture With PowerDirector 7
Karenx13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 05, 2009 21:23 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I am consider purchasing a video capture device to capture old analog video for movie making in the PowerDirector 7. Has anyone tried the USB external plugs rather then using the internal cards with the cyberlink products? Also I am running vista 64bit & am finding there are few of the USB plugs that work with the 64bit. Does anyone have a brand recommendation? Thanks for the In-Put .........Karen karen
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6144MB
RAM Page File: 2082MB used, 10202MB available
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Karen,

If you have a digital video camera you probably already have a analog to digital converter and would not need to purchase anything. Most cameras have an A/D pass through and WMM will capture footage just fine.

Jeff
Karenx13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff, thanks for the quick reply BUT, no I don't have a digital video camera. I have been using PowerDirector since I got it for still photos only. But,I wanted to begin converting my analog film & making movies with it, now that I've become somewhat used to the program..........Karen karen
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi KCline,

I purchased a USB capture device about 3+ years ago called...
"Turtle Beach Video Advantage USB", to capture old 8mm home movies that had been transferred to video tape years earlier.
The version I have works pretty good, but it was purchased pre-Vista, so I really know nothing about their current versions and thus can't really make a recommendation here.
But you might want to research it.
Like I said, the version I have seems to work fine.

Here is a link to an example of a capture I did with Video Advantage.
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/354/dad-s-home-movies-pt-2-/

(BTW: That's how I was introduced to PD, as PD4 came with the particular Turtle Beach suite/package I bought back then.)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 06. 2009 02:13

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I have a KWorld device - it brings in my aerial video through a live feed, RCA to USB device.

Works on the XP system it's on fine.

You will likely have audio issues (video drops frames and audio then goes out of sync) bringing VHS footage in, so be careful and it's quite common with analogue capture.

KWorld had PD with it.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2009 04:50

Karenx13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cranston, thanks for the input on the turtle Beach products. I went to their site to see if they had the analog to digital USB for vista & appears they no longer make any video products, all audio & gaming products. So, I'm still hoping someone out there will catch this post & beable to help me out........Karen karen
Karenx13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd, I had already looked into KWorld & they don't have one for Vista 64bit yet either. This seems to be my problem, there are USB's out there for the Vista 32bit but the 64 is seldom avalible. I did find Roxio sells one but seems to work with their own Video Program as well. Just purchased all the complete Cyberlink DVD suite, plus up graded the PD form 6 to 7. Too much money going into this stuff.if ya know what I mean..........Karen karen
george [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 05, 2009 01:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
ya i use a dazzle to record on cyberlink powerdictor but it doesnt record sound! can anybody help?