Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multi Trim problem with Scenes
Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I have encountered a problem with Multi Trim in scenes extracted from a clip.

Before I go boring everyone with a details of a lengthy set of trials I have run to try and characterise the problem I need to know - Is Multi Trim supposed to work on individual scenes (PD calls them Segments) detected from a clip?

In a nutshell the Multi Trim function goes haywire. The play cursor jumps about of its own accord, sound disappears, sometimes the space bar does not work for starting and stopping the preview and the times in the frames seem to be from the "parent" clip and not from the segments detected and separated, so typing in time to go to a place in the segment is useless.

I did a search and found one reference to a similar problem but the fix mentioned there did not work, and is not much use if you need to mark in from the first frame of your scene.

PD7 build 2429
Intel Pentium 4, 3 GHZ
2GB RAM
Vista Home
900GB free on HDD

Roger.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Roger,

Ok, some extra detail which are important please. What is the video format of the footage you are using? The aspect ratio? The source of the video (camera)? The frame size of the video? Is it HD?

As you're in Oz, you're in a PAL zone.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART C

To duplicate (confirm) your problem we have to see what you're using in Multi-Trim. Please try the same actions using the Aquarium.mpg (sample video) and report back. Also please select a new project and try a new captured video clip (fresh start and project)

There is a new release out today v2519 look for it as a patch.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2009 12:02

Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd,

I will collect the necessary information, run the trials and report back.

About the updates - I had been using build 2227 because there was some mention on this forum about instability with 2429a. Every so often I would get a pop-up inviting me to update. When this problem cropped up today I decided to update. Instead of waiting for the next apparently random appearance of the pop-up I clicked on the update arrow at the top right, only to get a message telling me no update was available as I had the latest version! I found it on the Cybelink and installed it. Still no joy.

Roger.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2009 12:01

babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Roger
If the update link fails from with-in PD use the download link
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_4_en_US.html PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Roger [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

I reinstalled PD7 build 2429a. Then I went to the project I had the problem with and it worked OK. No jumping or sticking cursor. I will continue working as time permits and if there are further problems I will run the Aquarium trials etc and post on this topic.

Just for completeness here are the details of my project.

1. I had several hours of 8mm VHS from a 4 month trip. I captured it using a PCI card which converts it to MPEG2.

2. Initially captured in clips of about 45 minutes each. These were given a quick rough edit to delete anything like the occasion(s) I recorded my foot for 5 minutes. This allowed me to make them significantly shorter and save disc space.

3. The rough edits were then "Produced", again to MPEG2.

4. This clip was then run through scene detection.

5. The individual scenes were then edited with Multi Trim, often to take two or three short clips of a few seconds each from a 1 minute scene.It was at this point that I encountered the problems with the Multi Trim Play cursor locking up and/or jumping to the end of scene.

6. These "trimmings" will be used along with JPEGs, music and Voice-over to assemble a sub-project, several of which will be combined to make the final DVD with which to bore friends and relatives .

Although the re-install seems to have solved the problem there is still an anomaly in Multi Trim when it is used to trim a "scene clip" as in step 5 above. While the scene is playing the time/frame counter shows the time from 0 at the start of the clip. If you enable the magnifier then the times below the frames displayed are from the beginning of the original clip the scenes were taken from. Also if you want to go to a certain place in the clip you cannot do so by entering the time/frame in the counter. The cursor just jumps to the end of the clip. It would be really helpful if Cyberlink could rectify this anomaly, as it would make timming easier.

Thanks

Roger.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Roger,
Thanks for the update.
Please make your improvement suggestion here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3980.page

Dafydd