Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Music/Slideshow Sync - Beat Detection
[Post New]
I've searched through the first 50 or so forum topics for PD7 and I can't see any mention of this, so I'm asking the question myself... the fact that no one else has done so might mean I'm missing the bleeding obvious, so I don't mind being told!

I saw (somewhere on one of the excellent tutorial videos) mention of BEAT DETECTION, but with no detail about how to make it happen. I interpret this to mean matching the transition of images to the beat of the music, as opposed to matching the duration of the whole show to the length of the music.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this for me. I've tried and tried, but cannot find a way to do it, which means either
(a) BEAT DETECTION doesn't mean what I think it means and you can't do that in PD7
(b) I'm missing something obvious, OR
(C) I'm mising something not so obvious.

I really appreciate being able to read through these forums - I've learnt so many things about PD7 that I didn't get from the tutorials, as good as they are.

Thank you. Tread gently and you'll hear the daisies grow...
RobertM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 30, 2009 18:15 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Good question. How about it what's up with the beat detection?

FAI, "PowerDirector_UG_Enu.pdf" can't be downloaded from the help site.

[Post New]
[b]Here's an amazing thing... when in doubt, read the instructions!

Not usually being one for reading the book first, I ploughed into PD7 and barely gave it a glance...

It turns out, tucked at the bottom of page 42, was the answer to my question! There are no settings to apply - PD7 just does it - certainly usng the Cell template. I'll test the others and report back.

I put the same series of photos with two different (contrasting) pieces of music and PD7 produced quite diffrent results.

I know I know - I missed something bleeding obvious. Tread gently and you'll hear the daisies grow...
[Post New]
Here's something else moderately amazing...

I contacted tech support about my question (above) and here is the reply I received...

Our Reply
vCSaba Reply 2009-02-01 03:28:58.937
Dear Tony,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

We understand your concern related with PowerDirector 7 software.

In regards to your concern, we regret to inform you that there is no option available to syncing slide transition with the beat of the music.

You need to arrange it manually.

Thanks and Regards

CyberLink Technical Support

Well - that's odd methinks! Pafge 42 of the user's guide states: "If you select to include background music with your slideshow, Cyberlink PowerDirector uses the Magic Slideshow technology to synchronize the photos along to the beat of the music during the slideshow."

I guess the guy who wrote the response didn't have a user's guide with him... it's a bit confusing when the book says one thing and tech support says the OPPOSITE. Go figure!

I realise this is only a small issue, but the information should be consistent. Either it does or it doesn't.

A couple of the tutorial videos mention beat detection, so I'm surprised the tech support guys don't know that...

http://docs.cyberlink.com/event/PDR-gallery/play.jsp?nFileId=1268
and
http://docs.cyberlink.com/event/PDR-gallery/play.jsp?nFileId=930

I just made about a dozen little slideshows to test the thing - using 4 contrasting pieces of music, i put the same photos through the mill just to see how it responded, without manipulating slide duration at all.

Using the Cell template, there is an obvious link between beat & transition time. In that mode - it detects beat. Using the other templates, there was not such a clear syncing of beat/transition except where the music had a steady pounding beat.

Anyway - I've thoroughly enjoyed talking to myself about this, and learning about wat's what and what's NOT. Tread gently and you'll hear the daisies grow...
Jaqueline [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2009 17:26 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Tony, not really replying to you but I do have an other problem, which is that I can t put the music that I have on my computer while doing a picture DVD, the only one that works is Smartsound.

You, being experiented, maybe you will help me.
I have Power Director 7
[Post New]
Hi Jacqueline -
No - I'm a newbie too - but I'll tell you what I do and maybe that'll work for you.

1. I store music in iTunes (but it doesn't matter what else you use). You need to know where the music files are stored. With mine it's My Documents>My Music>iTunes>iTunes Music> then whatever folder the piece of music is in.

2. Once the pictures, transitions & effects are organised, I add music - click on the +button - then navigate through the folders (above) to select the music.

3. OPTIONAL - Often (this may not apply to you), I edit the music using Audacity, especially if I'm combining tracks and sound effects, so I put the edited version on the desktop. If you're interested, you can dowload this free at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download

I hope that has been of some help to you.
Tread gently and you'll hear the daisies grow...
Jaqueline [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2009 17:26 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony, I will try it and come back to you later on.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, today is the day for my cheesy tutorial videos. Here's a simple example of adding music (that's already on your computer somewhere) to a simple slideshow:

No kittys were harmed in the making of this video

http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/481/extremely-basic-example-of-adding-music-to-slideshow/ Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.