Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crashes when opening a file
Vivid [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 27, 2009 09:30 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I've got a project that I have to hand in before a deadline, but the Powerdirector 7 crashes whenever I try to open it. I'm not sure what the problem is, but if my project is lost I'm in big trouble. I'm on a Windows XP Home Edition PC with all the system requirements, a 768x1024 monitor resolution and all the latest updates.

My project file can be find here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c4564b637ca6b7829bf8d6369220dcabe04e75f6e8ebb871

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Additional info: it crashes when it's at 37% with loading

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2009 09:49

babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Are you using different video formats in your project file ? PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
The project file opens fine on my PC. It is referencing video clips located on an F: drive, and some bitmaps on an E: drive that you did not inlcude .

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Vivid [Avatar]
[Post New]
The F:-drive video clips are indeed the ones I am referring to, but I don't know about bitmaps. Does anybody know how I can alter the file so that I can open it? I've got the video files - Deel1.mpg and Deel2.mpg - on my F:-drive.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The F:-drive video clips are indeed the ones I am referring to, but I don't know about bitmaps. Does anybody know how I can alter the file so that I can open it? I've got the video files - Deel1.mpg and Deel2.mpg - on my F:-drive.

Well, the project.PDS file is just a text file which can be edited. However, you shouldn't have to. When I open projects and some files used previously are missing, it just asks me if I want to ignore the errors. Something else must be wrong, in your case.

Do the MPG files play properly outside of powerdirector? You can play them with windows media player, for example? Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
Vivid [Avatar]
[Post New]
All of them play fine. I tried removing the three mpg-files (Deel1, Deel2 and Deel3 respectively), and it asked me to ignore it. It did, but then crashed few seconds later. I'm betting that it's something with the bmps.
OnTheWeb1
[Post New]
Quote: All of them play fine. I tried removing the three mpg-files (Deel1, Deel2 and Deel3 respectively), and it asked me to ignore it. It did, but then crashed few seconds later. I'm betting that it's something with the bmps.

Seems logical. Is the E drive that the bitmaps are on a local drive or network/USB drive?

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
Vivid [Avatar]
[Post New]
That's my local drive.
OnTheWeb1
[Post New]
Can you try to rename/move the bitmaps temporarily to see if you can get the project to open without them? It will get the missing file error that you can ignore... Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
Vivid [Avatar]
[Post New]
I would, but I'm not too sure what bitmaps you're talking about. I can't remember adding bitmaps...

Could you give me the file names?

Anyway, I'm going home now (I'm at my fathers house at the moment, which is where the project is), so I'll try any suggestions tomorrow or in two days.

Thanks a lot, OnTheWeb!
Vivid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wouldn't open when I renamed all files in the project, nor when I tried to open it on another computer. I'm pretty sure that it's something that it tries to load after it has loaded all the video files, audio files and pictures. Any ideas?
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Vivid,

Can you load PD with other projects or is this the only project with a problem?

Which version of PD7 have you got? (Chair>help>about)

The latest version is 2429a. but some users have reverted back to
2416 or 2227c because of specific problems.

If it happens with other projects, the general solution is to uninstall and reinstall.

If it only this project it may be a difficult one to sort.

Your project file opens fine on my PC but obviously without content other than titles and transitions. It plays OK.

The .bmp file is
SRC="E:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Snapshot(3).bmp" NAME="Snapshot(3).bmp" MUTE="FALSE"

It seems to appear only once in the .pds file.

I note that you have 3 small clips of less than 2 secs @08:11 - sometimes small clips may cause a problem.

The other common source is audio tracks.

In general terms I think you have 2 basic choices :-

Rebuild the project from scratch
or
Get the raw assets together in a local disc location and (without necessarily making a project) add them in one at a time and see if any cause an issue.

If they do, then remove them and let PD open the project ignoring the request for them and re-editing or substituting as necessary.

At your own risk:
the way PD works is to hold all the project info in a .pds file that can be read and edited in, say, notepad - however, get it wrong and PD cannot allow for any wrong edits.

All file references in the .pds file are actual, not relative - so an original file on E: drive, moved to C: drive will not be reflected in the .pds file. Same with renaming etc.

Looking at the .pds file will allow you to identify the assets used if you have no other record. It's very tedious.

Also although PD does produce backup files , which can be renamed as .pds and opened by PD, it is crucial to save backups sequentially so that you can roll back your project to an earlier state and maybe then open an earlier version when a problem arises in the last version.

I'm not sure how much more help is available for this sort of problem.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2009 14:03

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
OnTheWeb1
[Post New]
Vivid,

Here is a video of what we see when we open your project file. Don't know if it will help, but maybe looking at it tell you something helpful.

YouTube LINK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAcDITI-to0 Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
Vivid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the help guys. I didn't manage to recover my project. It's not a problem in any of the files - audio, video or image - as I removed all of those with Notepad but the error remained. The problem might me in the short clips that vn800rider mentioned. Could somebody remove those clips and then upload the file? I can't seem to find them in notepad.

OnTheWeb, thanks a lot for the video. I now know to search beyond the files, because I saw the same as you do, but at my PC it crashes after all the files load.

The backup file might be my last resort, but it's on a different computer than the one I'm on right now. I didn't know how to use it before, so thanks for the explanation.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2009 17:13

Vivid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Backup didn't load either, so I'm just going to start overnew and make lots of backups. Thanks anyways, guys, much appreciated.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Vivid,

In case you haven't seen this tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuK7Fhawaf4

if you have a complex or difficult project it can be useful to split the project into smaller ones and then compile them together as a final finished one.

Hope you win.
Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.