Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Delete video and reserve soundtrack during editing
dougw [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 13, 2006 13:49 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have a video with an interview of my father. I plan to make a project in which I will intermittently replace the video with photos of the subjects being discussed, similar to tv interviews. I have power Director 5 and after a bit of a frustating learning curve, have turned out some satisfying DVD's from my analogue camcoder footage, as well as from digital stills, and have used the pan and zoom functions on them as well. So, how do i proceed? Dougw
The Phil
Newbie Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Joined: Jul 13, 2006 15:03 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I'd like to know the answer to this myself. You can do it easily in Windows Movie Maker.... How in PowerDirector? I may not be god, but I'm damn good!
grumpysister [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tennessee Joined: Jul 13, 2006 11:56 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Dougw, I don't know if I understand your exact question. I think you want to put some photos in with your video. Try this: Play your video and when you get to the part where you want a picture click on split, then take the photo and drag it down to the spot that you split, then set the duration (time length) you want the picture to be seen, then the video will start after the picture where you left off. Hope this helps! Out of Memory!!
Ciane [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2006 17:27 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I think I understand what you want Dougw...

Hey grumpysister... the question is about separating the video from the audio and replacing that section of video with a pictures/pictures while the sound track is still playing. I use Adobe Pro and I too would like to know how to "unattach" the video from the sound in PowerDirector

Ciane
grumpysister [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will get out my screwdriver and hammer to see if I can figure this one out. I'll be back! Out of Memory!!
grumpysister [Avatar]
[Post New]
Putting the picture in stops the audio until the video starts again. If you want the audio to run during pic and video, you will need to drag the audio file down and drop it on the audio track. I think. Now I'm confused! Out of Memory!!
grumpysister [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think I get it now, you would need to separate the audio from the video in order to drop it on the audio track. There is also an option to mute the audio, I guess if you were going to narrate with a microphone. Have not done this one before, hopefully someone else has done this and can enlighten us!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2006 18:30

Out of Memory!!
Casey [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 13, 2006 23:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
How about using the pip track and insert the photos over the video portion of the clip, you can resize the pics to cover the entire screen,
might be easier than trying to seperate the vid/audio trax then re synch'ing them. then if you want to use the part of the video that you covered over just 'trim' it from the original footage and put it in wherever you want (before or after) your production keeping in mind that the integrity of the audio trac will be compromised To err is human...
...to totally screw up requires a computer
dougw [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 13, 2006 13:49 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for all the replies. I did not make myself quite clear, I think. As some have surmised, I wanted to leave the sound of my father's comments running, while replacing the image of him speaking, intermittently, with still images of what he is talking about. I thought about using the PIP function to do this , but not having used it till now, wasn't sure if i could make the size of the PIP image big enough to pretty much fill the screen with the still image. If I do this I am not sure how this would compromise the audio track. By the way, this forum is a great idea, as can be seen from the surge of interest ! dougw
Ciane [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2006 17:27 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Dougw

Using the PIP does work well with either a picture, series of pictures OR another video (small one). I have done this because I needed some audience reaction to a speaker's remarks and found that if you resize the PIP to as large as you can (won't quite fill the entire screen), you don't need to worry about trying to edit, cut, trim or anything else if you want the original sound of your video to play. The only other advise I have is that you can't add a "transition" to roll into the pictures per se so it would cut from the original video to the pictures - boom, boom, boom. The work around for going into and out of the picture sequence would be to add a "ripple" before and after the picture(s) to give it a kinda close transition back to the video.

Reminder: PowerDirector seems to crash alot, so save often as you try these suggestions.

Good Luck
Ciane