Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
looking for graphics card
drummer grl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 13, 2008 08:10 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I do not know that much about graphics cards except that mine should be upgraded. I have seen the posts about the problems and I am not sure what I should or should not get. A friend has suggested a couple a Radeon HD 4830 and a nvidia GeForce 9800GTX + will either of these work? Will I have problems with these and PD7?
Thanks
drummergrl
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
The Nvidia card is certainly on the CyberLink approved list for PD7 and Nvidia cards seem to be more stable with PD7 than Radeon going by problems posted on this forum.

I only have a Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GS and have not had any problems

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
drummer grl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 13, 2008 08:10 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the answer. Will I need to do any upgrading or patches, I am only asking because of other posts I have seen about graphics card. It may have nothing to do with what I am doing.
Thanks Drummergrl
Keyan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2009 09:09 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I would probably patch PD7 to the latest version (seems to be running OK for me) and definatly make sure you download the latest drivers from nvidia for the card. In fact I would download those before you install the card, then after it is installed run the installer for the drivers and not even bother with the outdated ones that come on the CD.

Also, make sure your computer as a PCI Express expansion slot, or else all of the new cards won't physically work with your computer.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi drummergrl,

Just check your power supply for output and connectors before you invest :-

"PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)" ATI Specs

I've been looking at the Radeon HD4850 but I need a bigger power supply since I have Athlone 64X2 4600+ 2.4GHz 3GB RAM Radeon X1600 1x 500GB SATA 1x 320GB SATA and 2 DVD drives. My measly 350 Watt needs upgrading.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Bill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2008 04:47 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Very good point vn800rider, I bought a Palit HD4870 Sonic Dual Edition and on the box mine said it needs 2x 75w 6 pin PCI-Express® power connectors with 500w or greater PSU. I've got a 650w PSU so if I crossfired I'd be right on the boarderline.