Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Black and White Still Image appears "black" on burned DVD
[Post New]
Have an image of handwriting within my video....imported as .png and works fine within PD 7 and when produced as .mov.

However, image shows up as black after burning DVD. Whatever caused this also caused it to appear black in edit mode window (although it stiill appears in timeline).

Closed and re-opened...everythingl back to normal-image plays within timeline video and dvd preview. Burn to DVD and above problem recurs.

Have tried other extensions....all work within the timeline and in dvd preview mode.....but same problem after dvd burn and then, when I return to "edit" function.

Is it something in the burn process that takes a black and white image (of a child's handwriting) and not only burns it showing only seconds of "black" but then alters it's visibility in edit window (although I can still see it in the timeline itself)?

Stumped in Maine

Melissa "Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Hmmm. I don't know what causes that, could be a bug.

In the meantime, could you put a white colorboard on the main timeline and overlay the handwriting photo/clip in a PIP track? This might be enough to trick it into behaving properly so you can get a good burn.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15. 2009 18:34

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
[Post New]
Good idea...will give it a try.

Again, the problem only happens on a burned dvd and then when I go back to edit. Need to close down and open up again for everything to go back to "normal". Before I "burn"...all is well. Even plays in DVD menu preview.

Strange how the clip still shows within timeline itself....it still"looks" like it's there, but shows black in edit window--at least until I close and open again.

Your idea is a good one-fingers crossed

Thanks very much...will post results in case anyone else has this problem.

Still wonder what is causing it.

Again, thank you for you help.

Chilly in Maine "Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
[Post New]
Bummer---no luck. This scan of the child's note forms the "heart" of the video....so can't just work around it (leave it out).

Hmmmm....think, think, think.

Not dvd type...have used -r, -rw, litescribe +rw etc.....
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/52.page
Will keep messing with it....

Any other ideas appreciated.

Thanks again. "Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Melissa,

I'd suspect you have created a png file with a transparent background. What do you mean by "Have tried other extensions...."? Does that mean you have created a jpg image, bmp image or you simply changed the 3 character file extension?

I would create a jpg file and try again. Provide some details on your pic too, resolution, size how created may spawn some other ideas.

Jeff
[Post New]
Thank you Jeff

Scanned into 'puter but can't recall where original scan is....opened in photoshop so have it as .psd....also saved as .pdf (opens in both). .BMP info is: 12240X9872 14.42MB but that can't be right...says its 51"X41" (????) Can't imagine I would be so brazen as to just change extension...but who knows. Still, can't figure out why it works...but doesn't.

Perhaps I should start from scratch...scan in again....see if I can save as jpg and not worry about cleaning it up with photoshop.

Will try to find original scan.....(memo to self: organize files).

Thanks again.....I'm sure it's "operator error"....

Old dog Needing New Trick

Melissa

"Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
[Post New]
re-scanned....saves automatically as jpg....data is:

2338x1700
Bit: 24bit
465.84 KB

Will try to work with it as it (make writing darker....originally written in 1992!) within PD7---then give it a go.

And once again, many thanks to you and those like you who stand at the ready to help newbies like me.

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Melissa

Thats a mighty fine resolution for a pic (12240X9872)! Since you have the photoshop psd file I'd use photoshop to first resize your image to a resoultion that is something a little more normal for 4:3 or 16:9 which ever you are using and save as a jpg and see if that works for you.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 15. 2009 22:27

[Post New]
Was hoping you wouldn't "notice" that whole resolution thing. Anyhoo....rescanned, photoshopped and swapped in timeline.

THEN.....went to create dvd and something occurred to me: after I produced the .mov file (rendering and all)---I made a teensy little change to another image.

Then, without "re-rendering"----went happily about creating the dvd menu blah, blah.

Think that was it? Failure to "render" prior to making the dvd?

We'll see....going through the steps now and with the new scan (and resolution)---maybe by morning something will shake loose.

You're a prince. Thanks for all the help (and the very nice way you pointed out that whole resolution thing).

[Post New]
TADA!!

Think it was the whole "didn't re-render" after making a slight change....inspired me to poke into svrt option etc.

Live and learn....but first you cry.

Thanks

Melissa

ps: 'bout to post another pesky problem....... "Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Melissa,

I don't think your issue had anything to do with "didn't re-render" after a slight change. PD7 will render what it needs to in the timeline during the DVD burn to disc or burn to folder. I think the issue was most likely your pic.

Jeff