Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crashing when Saving
john [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 09, 2008 10:33 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Not totally sure whats going on exactly here, things have been alright I guess until now.

While doing the video editing, it seems now whenever I do about two or more things, then save, the program stops and freezes. Or if im lucky what happens is it takes ages to save, then I can work again.

Just wondering, why would it take so long to save? Is it the new patch? I didnt really pay attention and why is it crashing when I save. It doesnt seem to crash when I do other stuff until the point when I click the save button.

And yeah, have repeated this same process about 8 times already and the exact same thing happens each time. Its like I cannot progess on any work anymore and it sucks big time.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Directors chair icon > File > Save Project as

What's the result now?

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15. 2009 11:19

john [Avatar]
[Post New]
hmm

Yeah, same crashes happened. I reinstalled the program and started over, it seems to not crash right now. I think I noticed an error saying 'visual studio 2005' was interfering but I didnt double check that.

Ill post again though if these crashes come back.
[Post New]
Have had same problem since installing...even purchased 2 months of tech support to resolve. Guy on other end knew primary fault error message before I told him....mcu1.dll or something like that. Said R and D is working on problem (month ago).

Called back: new guy said other guy was wrong..not typical....sent me lenthy email with instructions for Microsoft removal tool and then a download of new PD 7 build that "fixes"this. For anyone that gets this advice/email--use IE as Firefox was a 9 hour waste of time. Only downloads as application (another 9 hours) in IE.

Continued to crash.

Called back...this guy give sends new email which is like other one except has another "new" build...not wanting to waste another 9 hours downloading it....here's what I've finally figured out (works MOST of the time).

Ctrl S-to save. Use it frequently. Save icon causes crash so I avoid that at all costs. I've just simply incorporated Ctrl S into my editing....can't tell you how many times I've "outwitted" this problem and the crash that would come moments after this "work around"--turning this into a "battle" between me and the machine.

As a note, setting preferences to "auto save" at specific, frequent intervals didn't help either.

I'm just a newbie-so perhaps I shouldn't expect that:
1. a program should work
2. tech support would be consistent
3. "solutions" (especially those that don't work) shouldn't require a download of "new build" (not just a little patch) that takes hours...then still doesn't work.

Good Luck "Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I'm just a newbie-so perhaps I shouldn't expect that:
1. a program should work
2. tech support would be consistent
3. "solutions" (especially those that don't work) shouldn't require a download of "new build" (not just a little patch) that takes hours...then still doesn't work.

Good Luck

The combinations of motherboard, processor, video card, and storage are astronomical, before you even add in the complexity of Operating system and various software that people may have installed, all which can interfere with complex program like PD7.

1) Yes, a program should work, but its impossible to test out patches on every possible computer variation ahead of time. Maybe they could shed some light on how they do regression testing before releasing a fix.

2) I just hope every tech support guy does his best to help me. If that's not 'consistent', I'll understand they have different experience levels being drawn from.

3) In years past, download of a potential solution wasn't an option. You would wait weeks for a vendor to send out a new set of disks. We've come a long ways, even though it may not feel like it at the moment.

4) The good news is you kind of have a workaround for saving... and they seem to be working with you though you'd prefer it to be faster and not necessary in the first place.

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
john [Avatar]
[Post New]
ya just a recap on this, i have no idea exactly what happened, i really dont want to say there was interference from the visual studio 2005, but since that has been removed, and since when I reupdated/installed the PD7 saving is now perfectly fine and nothing has happened.

by clicking save, no crashes, no lag time, it just saves instantly like normal

so yeah, its a mystery to me, but so far the basics of the program as far as running is doin okay for me lately