Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Aspect problem
garyrbeach [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 08, 2008 11:20 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I assembled my project with photos and videos shot in 4:3 and 16:9. I skipped over "Produce" and went straight to "Create Disk". The finished DVD plays perfectly in 16:9 on several computers, using several different application to view, ie, WMP and AVG and PowerDVD. But when I put it in a DVD player for TV, it plays only in 4:3. Cutting off both sides. I've tried all the different aspect setting on the television itself, but no luck. I've also tried all the "format" options on the DVD players as well.

Also, I used a Cyberlink Menu Template #3 which has an inset of the movie about to be played and it does show up as 16:9 on the little screen on the menu. This template seems to just grab the first 15 seconds or so of the movie about to be played and put it ( in correct 16:9 ) in the template.

When I right click on each clip on the timeline, the aspect has a check in "Automatic detect".

Please help me. I've put so much time into this and I'd like it to show up correctly on a television, not just on a computer. Any ideas?

Gary Beach
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Check the aspect ratio of your project. Click the director's chair icon, then edit, then choose aspect ratio to see how its currently set.

I suspect you'll find it set to 4:3 and you probably want it to be 16:9 before you produce a disc or re-render.

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Remember, you need to set the aspect ratio first before you do any editing. There is a way to fix this however, if you edit the aspect ratio using notepad. You will have to open your pds file in notepad search for the aspect ratio line. Aspect ratio will either say true or false. For 16x9 make sure it says true and for 4x3 make sure it says false.

There a good video you can look at. Just do a search for aspect ratio in the forum and you will find link for a video on doing this. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
garyrbeach [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 08, 2008 11:20 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestions. I did set the project to 16:9 when I started the project. I won't be able to do the "notepad trick" until this weekend. It's all on my weekend house computer.

I'll let you know how it goes. Just seems strange that it plays in the correct 16:9 on computers but 4:3 on set top DVD players.

Thanks again.
Dan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2009 21:41 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Gary, What I have done is right click on one of the clips and go to Aspect Ratio ... Check the box to set aspect ratio to 16X9 and then check the box that says apply to all video clips. I found that works great.

Dan
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
DVD HQ Mpeg2 files - when rendered finish up as 720 x 576 for Pal and 720 x 480 for NTSC, the same for either 16:9 or 4:3. When played on a TV connected player the TV stretches to fit the screen aspect.

Mix matching video from differing aspect ratio isn't attractive and needs careful editing.

If you've hit a display issue with your PC player not recognising a DVD's aspect then you've either messed up the editing and aspect selection or your PC player should be changed to one that does recognise the aspect - like PowerDVD.

All of the above suggestions given by members should be tried.

Dafydd