Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Update: PowerDirector 7 build 2429a. Anyone use it yet?
[Post New]
Hi gang,

While combing through the Cyberlink website, I happened to see that there is a new update for PD7 users! Anybody use it yet? How's it working for you?

I guess for me, call me paranoid, but I've got my PD7 working now and I'm skittish about upgrading. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," I believe is the proper sage wisdom for this situation.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 09. 2009 18:02

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frank,

Hold off for the time being, I and a few others are Beta testing it and it's crashing on some functions

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2009 18:26

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Frank,

Hold off for the time being, I and a few others are Beta testing it and it crashing on some functions

Robert
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the heads up. Safe and slow is the way to go...
Juan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Dec 01, 2008 23:35 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frank,

This is my opinion about patch 2429a. I did post it in another thread, but since the only way to find that thread is "doing a search for it", here you go:

SVRT for AVCHD still doesn't work properly with latest patch 2429a. Cyberlink is aware of this issue from what others have posted, however 8 months later there's no fix.

It's NOT just that SVRT does NOT work for AVCHD, the AVCHD rendering quality (recoding, re-rendering) is really poor (artifacts,pixelation, etc).

Although I like PowerDirector's editing interface, the quality of the final video is the more important factor to me. This is the reason why I bought a HIGH DEFINITION camcorder.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10. 2009 12:32

arise [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2009 15:24 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
guys, for some reason the "use CUDA for encoding" button (3rd dialogue window when producing a Mpeg4 AVC file) is grayed out. I have CUDA enabled drivers and a 8800GT card. Using Vista x64 SP1.

I also tried the new "trial version" 7.0.2416a, same effect.

Is this normal?
CUDA for effects (Edit-Preferences-Encoding) is checked and works ok.

LE: nevermind, i didn;t have the 181.20 drivers
it works now..much faster.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10. 2009 15:58

Rico [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2009 16:15 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: guys, for some reason the "use CUDA for encoding" button (3rd dialogue window when producing a Mpeg4 AVC file) is grayed out. I have CUDA enabled drivers and a 8800GT card. Using Vista x64 SP1.

I also tried the new "trial version" 7.0.2416a, same effect.

Is this normal?
CUDA for effects (Edit-Preferences-Encoding) is checked and works ok.

LE: nevermind, i didn;t have the 181.20 drivers
it works now..much faster.

How's the quality of video with the GPU encoding and how fast is it over cpu encoding?
arise [Avatar]
[Post New]
there are definately speed improvements, but far from even realtime.
for 25min material, Cuda ON 1h10min, OFF 2h50min

if you enable magic fix on the video, it takes even longer.
so far i wasn't able to finish encoding due to C++ errors PD7 simply crashes on me, at different times during encoding...haven't made it past 8% yet. Dissapointing...

Looking at the speeds Badaboom reaches (>2x realtime) for 1080 material, PD7 has a looong way to go.

Cyberlink, Please focus on AVCHD smartrendering, coupled with better support for GPU encoding/rendering The CUDA accelerated effects are neat, but i doubt there is much adoption in the community. Who wants to blur more than a few seconds of video anyway??

AVCHD SVRT (smart rendering) is broken.
I add 2 clips to the timeline with a transition and it needs almost 100% re-encoding I tried with different resolutions (1440/1080) and bitrates (5mbps/12mbps/17mbps/20mbps)....same result. I could NEVER achieve 0% re-encoding, no matter what i tried.
Mark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 12, 2009 05:12 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I installed build 2429a, and my PowerDirector is crashing every 20 - 30 mins. I have tried turning on and off the CUDA setting but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

My computer is new and very clean. It is has an AMD Phenom 9950 quad processor with 4 GB of RAM and a 750 GB HDD.

Is it possible to uninstall the update?

Is anyone else experiencing problems with this update?
arise [Avatar]
[Post New]
i disabled Magic Fix on some clips in the project and it could render completely. With magic fix on, it always crashed at random times with a MS C++ redistributable components error window, saying PD7.exe crashed.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Mark, reinstall PD7 would be the simplest way forward.

Please clarify your comments, I need to know what you were installing PD7 2429a patch over, was it a full version or an upgrade version?

I need to make clear where Robert has stated "beta-testing" that he is carrying out a "user test" and comes back to me (which I'll pass onto CyberLink RD) if he finds issues, others are doing the same. The method he's using is the same as a beta tester, hence his use of the term.

if you enable magic fix on the video, it takes even longer.

Yes, it would since you are asking PD to perform an additional task over the whole clip as well as render it. Magic Fix is an optional task used by an editor to correct camera/video issues and certainly does not need to be used on every clip.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 12. 2009 07:00

[Post New]
Quote: I installed build 2429a, and my PowerDirector is crashing every 20 - 30 mins. I have tried turning on and off the CUDA setting but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Is it possible to uninstall the update?
Hi Mark,

Hopefully, you have your system restore feature turned on in XP or Vista. This feature will bring back your computer to a time period before you installed the update and should return PD7 back to it's former self. The system restore menu should give you detailed info on when the PD7 update was installed. Select a restore point sometime before this time and activate restore.

For further info on the system restore function, go here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

If your program still crashes, you'll have to reinstall the program from scratch. If you take this route, be sure that you uninstall the program properly.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 13. 2009 02:06

Lubomir [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2007 23:28 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I did try to download patch build 2429a 4 times on 2 different computers. All the time I have message that patch is corupt. Simply it is impossible to instal.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I was able to install the patch with no problems and was able to make a movie after installing it. However I'm using onboard video so I can't actually try the new CUDA features. I realize that this is no help to those who are having problems, but I can at least say that the patch installed on one system. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I downloaded and installed with no apparent issues. However, I am not pleased with the slideshow motion feature. Certain motions appear to cause a hiccup in the motion path. It's like it backtracks a frame or jumps a frame. The motion is not smooth. I’ve also seen were part of the pic appears to be like 1 frame back so the pic has a demarcation line in it. I've also noticed the same issues with the Magic Motion feature. This occurs even if no transitions between pics are used. It's noticeable in preview and DVD HQ disc creation.

I have not isolated completely but it appears the pan and zoom might be the issue. It typically happens very early in the pic frame. I can reproduce the issue with just the following
1) 1 windmill in the timeline, set duration to 10sec
2) Apply magic motion with pan and zoom
3) Preview or burn to dvd and watch
4) Within the first second, the hiccup occurs, watch careful

Stepping through frame by frame I can not see any issue, only during playback. Depending on the picture content, the issue may or may not be as noticeable.

Nvidia 8800GTS 512, 181.20 drivers
Phenom 9950 quad

Jeff
[Post New]
Quote: I have not isolated completely but it appears the pan and zoom might be the issue. It typically happens very early in the pic frame. I can reproduce the issue with just the following
1) 1 windmill in the timeline, set duration to 10sec
2) Apply magic motion with pan and zoom
3) Preview or burn to dvd and watch
4) Within the first second, the hiccup occurs, watch careful

Stepping through frame by frame I can not see any issue, only during playback. Depending on the picture content, the issue may or may not be as noticeable. Jeff
Uh oh. I went through the steps you listed on how to create the stutter and it didn't happen for me. The zoom/pan function played back smoothly with no jitter or hesitation. It looks like it may be a problem with the latest build.

I've still got the 2227c patch on my PD7 and haven't upgraded to build 2429a. If you want to regress back to the old version, I've still got the file on my computer.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Frank,

Thanks, I have the all the old versions too. I know it does not happen on 2227c release, I have a system with that on it and this little test and my real pics work fine there. I don't know if this 2429a issue is unique to me for some reason though. I know it happens with both the older 180.48 Nvidia drivers as well as the just released 181.20 drivers.

Jeff
Mark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 12, 2009 05:12 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the feedback. My PD7 installation was a clean downloaded version on a brand new computer running Vista Ultimate OS. Cyberlink support provided uninstall instructions using Microsoft Installer Cleanup and some specific regedit deletions. They also provided a link to CD7 build 2429a, which installed. All of this was done and the system crashes about every 30 mins during editing. This is frustrating.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Update:

I'm having trouble with slideshows as well with magic motion. I put several pics in the timeline and when I make a DVD the pics seem to wobble/stutter. When I play my files on my computer I don't seem to have this. It only appears on my burned DVD. I didn't have this problem previously. I originally thought this may be due to my pics or something, but maybe not. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
I am having hiccups on produced videos. The hiccups are happening to video clips, avi's to be exact. I have a somewhat low powered machine but this has not happened before, to this degree.
Anyone getting skips FROM video files using 2429a?
I may need a link to 2227c! Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the feedback. My PD7 installation was a clean downloaded version on a brand new computer running Vista Ultimate OS. Cyberlink support provided uninstall instructions using Microsoft Installer Cleanup and some specific regedit deletions. They also provided a link to CD7 build 2429a, which installed. All of this was done and the system crashes about every 30 mins during editing. This is frustrating.
I can imagine. I don't have any experience with Vista Ultimate, and I'm wondering if this is the source of your problems.

My second guess is that it has something to do with the computer's RAM. Some people have inferred that PD7's ability to clear out and utilize its resources effectively is in need of some fixing. Perhaps you can check how much RAM you have installed on your system as opposed to how much Vista is reporting.

Also, check to see if your RAM is running ok. There are some freeware programs out there that can do this. Other than that, I can't think of anything else that may be causing your lock ups except perhaps some programs that are running in the background that PD7 doesn't like.